New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ST... speaking for myself, that was a very relevant post. Simple tasks - simple solutions. And why I frequent this excellent Forum. I have a much better perspective on all this now and will seriously consider purchasing this unit. Good on you - and Thank you Sir.
  2. riding2redline

riding2redline n00b

Oddometer:
    So i just got the zumo 396 on sale for a good price, but it does not have an inline fuse like the lackluster instructions say it should. I noticed that other people have had this problem and saw that in post #139 Spyrious said he just used a 2 amp inline. Is this the correct fuse for this gps? I would rather just run to autozone and pick one up rather then trying to go thru garmin customer support so hopefully you guys can help me out with this. I should have just stuck with paper maps but the price was to good to not try the zumo.
    garmin zumo.jpg
    Eric W. likes this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The label on the voltage converter in your picture says its draws 1.5 A, so a 2 A fuse sounds right.

Fuses exist to protect the wire, not the device. I can't see see the gauge marking on the red/black wire, but if is AWG 20 or bigger (smaller number), 2 A will be fine.
  4. riding2redline

riding2redline n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me . It's 22 gauge wire BTW.
  5. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting a new GPS for a few years. My old StreetPilot 2710 works great but the maps can't be updated very easily, still running 2010.
    With the pending April 6th GPS date issue coming I may be forced to upgrade.
    I like to do all my ride planning in BaseCamp and then importing all the waypoints(with proper identifying symbols), routes, ECT to my GPS. Then while riding I zoom out and can see what waypoints(campsite, intersections) I am near and what is coming up. Having to SEARCH for these things is unacceptable.

This 396 is so disappointing. As mentioned above the waypoints imported are hidden and only accessed via the menu. Then the fact that BaseCamp's Waypoint symbols aren't compatible with the 396 and all show as a heart. This is a deal breaker for me!!
    I will be returning the 396 and looking for a different version of the Zumo.
    Can anyone point me to a sub $400 Zumo that will display the waypoints on the map at most zoom levels?
    Thanks
    Allen
  6. Twospot

Twospot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's weird. Mine came last week and I installed it over the weekend. My harnesses box is a little bigger than yours and indeed has an inline fuse.
  7. Twospot

Twospot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I haven't really used the 396 much, but at first toying, I'm much happier with it than the TomTom Rider 550. I love the size, the feel. I think the mounting method is much better as well. I see a lot of complaints about Waypoints on here. I'm not too worried about seeing Waypoints unless they're part of my route. Right now the big think for me is learning BC so I can create routes. I'm working through NER's training for that. VERY helpful.
  8. ternus

ternus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had awful glare problems with my 396 -- in bright sunlight all I could see was the reflection of my hi-viz vest.

I'm pleased to report that this anti-glare screen protector from Boxwave cuts that down a ton. The screen is actually readable in bright light now! Still not as good as the Montana, but way better than before.
    Hogges likes this.
  9. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garmin says that the newer version of the harness has a self-resetting electronic fuse in the voltage regulator and therefore does not need the inline disposable fuse. I just saw this as a response by Garmin support to a negative review based on the "missing" fuse. Not sure where, but possibly on Amazon.
  10. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the 396 LMT-S for the one reason that I want to plan and ride a route using waypoints to shape the custom route I want to plan. My current prehistoric GPS does not allow waypoints. However, this does not sound encouraging! I already read the manual, which is minimalist and not very continuous, also not a good sign. They talk about "routes" and later about "trips" as completely separate and different features, which is confusing to me. Aren't waypoints just a way to customize a route with intermediate destinations? I also found no explanation of "segments", except to say that they are unspecified shorter pieces of "tracks". Are these products such low volume that it doesn't justify the R&D to improve them?
    I'll see what I can learn when I get it, and whether the Zumo and I can become friends. BTW: Did you update the firmware?
  11. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id be interested to know too
  12. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that I only had the 396 for a few days, I shipped it back quickly after the issues listed above so I wouldn't get stuck with it.
    The 396 might work for you if you are always following a ROUTE. I only follow routes for known trails, like the BDR, so the GPS won't try to take me down a different road to the same endpoint.
    If you use BaseCamp to create a ROUTE, shaped with waypoints and import it to the 396, you might not have the same issue with it as I did. The ROUTE created in BaseCamp will need to be added to the 396's 'Trip Planner' or you will not be able to find it on the GPS. The 396 will let you know it has found a ROUTE and ask if you would like to add it to the "Trip Planner'...answer YES.

The picture is what I like to see when looking at my GPS, waypoints I created, identified with a corresponding symbol, on the map at all zoom levels. Then when I'm riding in that area I can see what I am getting close to, pick one and hit "Go" and have the GPS take me the final way to that point. The 396 cant show these without being in a ROUTE or keep the symbols I selected.

Maybe I'm doing this GPS thing wrong.

GPS.jpg
  13. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not in the sun either, sometimes. My iPhone decided it was too hot last year in the middle of a trip, and we are talking upstate NY, not the Sahara desert. With nothing but a big exclamation mark on the phone screen, it was back to the paper map for me.
  14. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I am really curious. My 396 should get here tomorrow.
    So you are importing just waypoints from basecamp, not a route. And then the symbols are messed up? Do the routes for BDR etc. import correctly?
  15. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent both waypoints and a short route to the 396. The route worked fine after adding it to the 'Trip Planner". I can't remember if it was hidden or not. All waypoints will be identified by the 'Favorite' symbol. It is a green square with a heart. You can then go into each one, on the 396, individually, and change it. I had around 75 waypoints when I went to AK, having to change each one would have taken hours. Then only to have it hidden from view.
    WHY GARMIN, WHY?
    I guess I use my GPS as an electronic MAP to view what is around me and less of a turn by turn guidance system.
  16. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If some people want to see favorites and other people do not, Garmin should just make it an enable/disable option in the settings.
  17. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it ok to link youtube here? This person, John Chivers, has an excellent and detailed tutorial on creating routes using basecamp. He emphasizes the importance to understand waypoints versus "via points" versus "shaping points".
    This advice makes a lot of sense to me, as it helps to reduce clutter by limiting the waypoints to meaningful points of interest:
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be my vote as well, but I do see their point. Depending on my location and level of map detail my screen can get pretty cluttered with hearts. Wonder if they already do that based on the map detail setting? Detail=high, show all icons; Detail=medium or low, no icons. Have to play with it.
  19. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1614821 26FCE345-66EC-4E9F-B9B4-07317655FD01.jpeg Got my 396 LMT-S delivered yesterday. My power cable is the new style with the smaller DCDC converter and without a dedicated glas fuse, less clutter. The cable is way too long between the mount and the converter, but I am not going to chop into that, will just zip tie it behind the horn and radiator. So far it looks really well made and had no problem connecting to WiFi and the PC. The map installed a copy in basecamp for offline usage and route planning. AEF3D4AB-8EB4-4034-8460-9EE22B430795.jpeg
  20. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4C107D9E-2FF0-4CC8-AA96-C87A78775602.jpeg
    And done, everything wired and working. I ended up cutting the supplied wire a few inches after the voltage converter and using the rest to make a splitter for the accessory plug with extra male and female waterproof Sumitomo MT plugs I had. This way everything can be unplugged separately if needed.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.