New Gen 2018+ GOLD WING

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by slipknot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I did NOT need to buy a new bike right now either. Went out to get some milk and eggs and since the market was right next to a Honda dealer, thought I'd stop in for some bike cleaner. Saw this same bike. Came home with a cleaner bike alright. And I forgot to get the milk and eggs. How my wife has stayed with me for thirty years, I have no idea. I'm a sick sick man...
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    stop banging the head and scratch that itch @jersey jim! No other options will put you at peace. Everyone here goes through the same. :lol3
    gobux, royal and jersey jim like this.
  3. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of one of my bike purchases. I went to my local Victory dealer and bought a Vision. Rode it home and told my wife that it was a 'test ride.' She grabbed her gear and hopped on the back. We rode about 2 blocks and she leaned forward and hugged me and said 'buy it' :lol3
    gobux, Charleetho, Oilhed and 4 others like this.
  4. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    In 2012 I battled between the ‘old’ wing and the 1600 gtl. The wing won out and I bought a beautiful blue wing.

Weird with the new Honda it was the other way around. The BMW has more HP, better handling, more luggage space, better range and a wider more comfortable rear seat. It also has easily designed removable side and top box. The sides are so easily removed I could do without liners while traveling. Add to that I could buy an 18 loaded bmw cheaper than I could find the Honda. The stunning white gtl is in my garage.
    YMMV
  5. zx12-iowa

zx12-iowa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K
    Hmm the gtl and old wing were very different. Old wing = heavier, older tech, low power, built to tow trailers and haul heavy people (look at the owners - I owned one). New wing = addressed all of the old wings issues, except power (huge disappointment for many). So what made you choose old wing last time over the gtl, bc I’d think the new wing would be your choice?
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Good question. I thought the new wing would be a no brainer as well. The luggage capacity of the old wing was quite a bit larger than the new. They also narrowed the rear seat in the process. The bmw is now more comfortable according to Ms adventure. It also seems oddly roomier for the two of us. In 2012/13 the market had the wing many many thousands less than the bmw. Not any more

Edit; although I don’t know what gps the Honda now uses. But the removable standard Garmin unit on the bwm is grand. I can program from basecamp like normal AND I can use it while moving.

As always these are my thoughts that work for me. YMMV
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I was leaning towards the GTL, mostly because of the engine... but this was going to be our two-up bike, so I had the better half sit on everything out there.
    The GTL was ok for her, but not for me. The GT was ok for me, but lacked pillion amenities.

Briefly went with an Indian Roadmaster, then once the new Wing was out I replaced the Roadmaster with a DCT Tour and have racked up many many miles on it with zero complaints.
    Plenty of range, but long duration two-up trips will require more frequent laundry days :D
    fiveover likes this.
  8. GibbonsMonkey

GibbonsMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm quite surprised that a similarly equipped GTL was cheaper than a GW. Comparing a 6speed vs. a GTL with the Nav 6 added should favour the GW, shouldn't it?
  9. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I ride more road and long trips, different bikes rise to the surface. Looked at a K16 when I bought the Suoer Tenere last year, concern on maintenance costs swayed me but its still on the radar, as is an 18+ GW once they are 5 years old (I am thrifty). In 5 years the S10 will have served its purpose and The GW will be affordable. What I like is reading folks with 1290 SDs buying a GW, seems like this version opened up the GW to new groups.
    fiveover and Moto Jimmy like this.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've been shopping for an Africa Twin so I brought my wife to the Honda dealer so she could sit on back and register any complaints.

While we were there she sat on the GW with me. Other than the back rest being too wide she was a big fan. And as I've made a point to sit on the bike when I go to the dealer the size is becoming less foreign feeling. This dealer was one of the few around that had a demo but they sold it a couple of months ago. Would have loved to take it out. Picking up a GW is definitely part of our future purchase plans.
  11. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    We bought a new 2018 Goldwing Tour the other week and just got back from our first little maiden voyage test run on it, thought I'd post up a brief overview for others on the fence as I was.

Quick bio on us...
    I've had a couple dozen bikes, mostly sport, a couple sport touring, a dual sport, and a 2016 Wing.
    49 years old, 5'8" and a buck fifty, been riding for 35+ year.
    Pillion and wife of 28 n counting years is 47 years old, equal height, weight is a secret but I'm gonna guess less than me. She's been on the backs of my bikes since we were teens, her favorite past bike for pillion comfort was our 2016 Wing.

[​IMG]

Last year I sold our 2016 Wing in anticipation of getting the new 2018 Wing, but once the new Wings hit local dealers to me I pulled back and didn't buy one. The reason I was leary about pulling the trigger was I really wanted the blacked out look instead of the chrome, unfortunately the blacked out (non-tour) model lacked some key features I wanted, most importantly reverse for the 6 speed model. My logic was to wait and hope they added a blacked out look on the 2019 Tour model, they did not.

Over the winter I've been trolling the BMW K1600 GTL, they finally added reverse to those last year, and prices have softened, at least in my local area. A white 2018 GTL w/4k miles popped up for sale local to me for $20k, I went to go check it out and buy it assuming all was well, I got there and it just sold. I then went over to my local Honda dealer who also deal in used and I've bought a half dozen bikes from them over the years to have them keep an eye out for a used GTL for me, while there I start looking at the new Wing again, Honda has good incentive deals to move the 2018's now because there is still so much inventory. Long story short I came home with a red 2018 Tour model with the 6 speed manual for $21k OTD, that's almost 6 grand less than they were when they came out, enough of a discount for me to give it a try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added a couple quick fix items before our trip, Honda rider backrest, Rivco HWY pegs, and Helibars risers. I also brought the Honda half cover and luggage liner sets for the trunk and side cases.

Our trip was originally intended to be longer, but life happened and we had to truncate it, we live in the Portland OR area and did a quick trip down the coast line on 101 and back, a short but fun trip just under 500 miles.

We left the house and the new Wing had about 20 miles on it. The 2018 Wing really exceeded my expectations in every way, I realized a couple features that held no value to me prior because I didn't really know what they were I now have tremendous appreciation and value for, first and foremost Apple carplay is pure genius, a dry place to keep and charge your phone that connects to the bike and allows you to access apps on your phone using the bikes display, nice! I can access my Pandora for music and Apple maps for gps, create a quick map in my phone, save it, and access it from the Wing, wow that's just too cool and easy. And as more apps come out over the years this Wing will always stay current with those apps, too smart Honda, thank you! BTW, if somebody has a good app their using for doppler radar to see where the rain is please let me know.

I was concerned about the smaller tank size, and didn't believe the hooey that the new Wing gets better gas mileage, I was wrong and they indeed do get better mileage. On my 2016 Wing I'd get upper 20's for MPG, on the 2018 I got 38.6 MPG in Tour mode on the way down and 41.2 on the way back in Rain mode and riding in the rain about 90% of the time. I don't ride trying to get good mileage, I just ride, the results are what they are, but according to the #'s I'm getting a solid 10+ better MPG than I did on our 2016 Wing, quick math tells me I didn't lose any range from our 2016 Wing. I just love that these Wing's run on regular gas, it's so hard to remember because I'm use to putting Super in all my other bikes.

I was concerned about the smaller luggage capacity compared to our 2016 Wing, in reality this turned into a non-issue and even slightly liberating. I have a soft bag that's maybe 6x8x14 and goes with me on which ever bike I'm touring on, it carriers your typical road side needs, I do seem to add things to it over the years, but never take anything out, and I don't think I've ever really needed to have it in a situation. So, I no longer carry it, wow that was easy, in past I would always have one side case dedicated to this along with airpump etc. The side bags on the Wing look/are small, I was really surprised though at how it all worked out, we each got our clothes and bathroom needs in the Honda side case liners, we each got one. I put one of those in each side case which takes up about 95% of the space, the last 5% is those triangles in the back of the side cases, on one side I used that for the Honda half cover, and on the other side triangle I put a small medical supplies bag, and a small tool pack from Revzilla that's about the size of a small bible. The Honda trunk liner bag contained both our laptop bags, a pair of shoes for each of us (plus I was able to fit my slippers in my side case bag) a fleece layer for each of us, and some snacks. The trunk liner bag uses about 95% of the trunk, in the 5% left over I put water bottles on one side, and my wife's rain shell on the other side.

I think I only have one complaint so far...
    I wish I could change fuel modes on the fly, ie when it starts raining be able to switch into the rain mode, and when not raining switch out of it. In the PNW it rains and stops raining often, having to pullover to change these is an inconvenience. I've now been told how to do this, just have to let off the gas, then toggle through the fueling modes, nice, scratch that complaint off the list!

The oem seat is worlds better than every oem seat I've ever had on other motorcycles, that said it is not as comfy as the Ultimate seat we had on our 2016 Wing, my wife and I both agree on this. I'll be looking to get another Ultimate seat for the 2018 Wing once they figure out how to play nice with the Honda electronics.
    If I were to get picky, I'd also say that when accessing pandora through carplay its unfortunate that you can't like and dislike songs (like I can on my Zumo 595 while riding), you can only skip songs you don't like in carplay.

Future plans...
    new seat
    luggage rack with tail/brake light
    pillion usb charging port
    fog lights
    hand wings
    trailer hitch for our Unigo

My wife is looking for an iphone holder that attaches to the back of a rider backrest so that it remains there with the screen visible while we're riding, if anyone know's of one please post up a link, thanks.

Overall I am extremely happy with our purchase of the new 2018 Wing and am looking forward to all the adventures to come!

Well I think that's it, but I'm sure I forgot something that I'll add in.
    If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Here's some pics from our trip down and back up HWY 101 of the Oregon coast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fiveover, ExxonValdez, gobux and 13 others like this.
  12. Wambo

Wambo On the road to nowhere

Oddometer:
    You sir, are lucky in more ways than one.
    OJ-J likes this.
  13. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride and the smokin deal you got!
    OJ-J likes this.
  14. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Was that you in the chair? Do you remember me? If so, wow small world, grats man, I agree, safe travels!
  15. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    :-):beer
  16. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Ultimate seat arrived today! :thumb:thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat looks comfy!
    OJ-J likes this.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Understatement.
    OJ-J likes this.
  19. holabird

holabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I have a question for you experts. Never had a gold wing in the past. Just got rid of my K 1600 GTL. Looking for something comfy for the pillion. Looking at an F6B or a new wing. Is there that much difference between the two bikes? I know there are differences, but it is there $7000 worth of differences? Thanks in advance
  20. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    As of 2018, the F6B is out of production.

The 2018 Goldwing (non-Tour) replaced it. The bike is completely different. New engine, frame, bodywork, powered windshield, new dash, a little more horsepower, better brakes, totally new suspension, a lot less weight than the 2017.