New Guy needs help

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wheelin71, Nov 21, 2005.

1. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello All- i have wandered this site many a moon but am finally ready to buy a bike. I know i want an older GS and am having difficulty finding one here in Canada. Has anyone got any advice about importing from the states as there seems to be a lot more available. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks Craig
  2. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey wheelin71, I just asked the same questions back in the summer. Yes it's very possible and quite easy to do apparently. The key is making sure the machine in question is on the list of "admissable vehicles" from the Registrar of Import Vehicles first. Here's another site that goes into some detail of the whole process.

I'll be able to give you first hand info by Spring, as I will be importing a KLR650 come spring myself (decided the budget met the KLR better than the Beemer at this time).

If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me an email or PM.

Joe
  3. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the bike is 15 years or older, you can ride it up to the border, pay GST and you're in. 15 years means that you take into account the months as well. 180 months old, really. If your bike is less than 15, you may need to do look into what's needed, but it's not that hard. Where are you located?
  4. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys, Malindi I'm in canmore just outside Calgary, Jtt I sold my klr this summer, and just want 1 more cylinder for long trips on road, I dont have much of a budget either. I Am looking for an "older" gs and it seems impossible.
    Thanks again Craig
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    While things are generally more straight forward with bringing in a bike from the USA, the new security concerns we now live in have meant a couple more steps are mandatory in bring in a bike.

1. Make sure the bike you are looking at is included on the Transport Canada inclusion list.
    2. Buy the bike.
    3. Get a proper bill of sale. Go to an insurance company in the states, and transfer the ownership of it to you, and buy insurance. The U.S. customs [that's right, the US Customs] will not let you out of their country with the bike unless it's in your name.
    4. Stop at U.S. Customs to declare you are exporting the bike. This is required, as they are cracking down against stolen vehicles leaving their country.
    5. Go to Canada Customs and declare the machine. They will not accept the machine unless it is registered in your name and insured[they are trying to stop stolen vehicles]. You may have to leave the bike there for 3 days in their storage to clear. When cleared, you will be given a bill for duty [no duty on bikes I think] and GST on value of machine.
    6. You will be given a certain amount of time to take bike to Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire is the only national mechanical repair company used under contract by the government to be the inspector of vehicles entering both Canada and each repective province. They will do a cursery walk about with inspection sheet, making sure it has horn, indicators, brake lights, speedo with kilometer markings on the face, etc. You will have to pay them $150 for this. At this point you can register it in your province, with any applicable taxes/fees.
    7. Ride bike.
    8. Have fun.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  6. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Steve, the info helps. Noone has a canadian GS for sale by any chance, the oldier and uglier the better. Thanks again
    Craig
  7. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I just looked at a nice R100GS today! Unfortunately I'm out of the market for a GS, but this one looked very good. From memory it was a 1989 R100GS Bumblebee, ~98,000 kms on the clock, one owner since new, hard cases included, Michelin tires (T66 I think?), no significant dings or dents and appears to have been very well cared for. I think he said he wanted something like $5000 Cnd. The bike is in Halifax right now, but going to the BMW dealer in Moncton, NB on the weekend. If your interested, I can try to get the guys contact information for you.
  8. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JTT if you could get me the info before it gets to a dealer i'd like to atleast talk to the guy.
    Thanks Craig
  9. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    post on HU horizonsunlimited the owner is a bmw guy, and some euros visit it, might find one a euro is unloading in CA

i'm not far from Van bc, just south, if you need a place to dump/deliver a bike for a day/week before bringing up etc... give a shout.
  10. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll get the contact info today. I wouldn't worry about the dealer thing, as it will only be there on consignment, not traded in.
  11. rowansride

rowansride recreational menace

Oddometer:
    go for the canadian bike, big valve heads and 40mm Bings without spending all the money I did...although I did spend it at Bruno's Machine in Kitchner.
    5000 CDN is a sweet deal.
  12. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chile that was an issue I was going to have. If I bring in a US bike I would appreciate that, they say theres a 3 day delay. I figure to vancouver is rideable? but coming through the mountains to Calgary may be difficult. JTT thanks again I would like to talk to the Bumblebee guy. I didn't realize the canadian bikes have bigger valves and carbs, less emmission restrictions i guess? That should help her breathe a bit. i can't believe I waited so long to ask you guys these things- I'm hoping to head south as soon as possible.
    Craig
    Future adventurer
  13. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Hey Wheelin

There's a 92 R100GS Bumble Bee at BMW Toronto with 61,000 K and they're asking $7800. A friend of mine saw it and said it's mint. They're a good group of guys so a deal may be had there. You can find it by looking on www.autotrader.ca.

Good luck with your search.

Fin
  14. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Craig have a look at http://www.ibmwr.org/ in the marketplace/forsale/airheads and or/oilheads section. Also http://calgary.craigslist.org/ and nearby cities. Good luck.
  15. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again guys. I've been searching high and low including IBMWR, autotrader, advriders, craigslist, buysell etc. I found an 89 bumblebee here for 6500 but it had 175000km on it. I thought a bit excessive for the Kms. I am reluctant to buy from a dealer only because I have bought/sold many a vehicle and hate to pay their rent. Anymore leads would be awesome, JTT i am hoping to track down the one from Halifax- couldn't find a moncton dealer?
    Craig
  16. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the info:
    Atlantic Motoplex
    950 Champlain St
    Dieppe, NB
    (506) 383-1022
    atlanticyamaha@nb.aibn.com

Don't think you could go too wrong with this bike. Julien typically takes good care of his bikes (from riding dirtbikes with him). Mileage is reasonable, condition appears to be very good from what I saw (it was pouring rain and bike was on the back of his truck). Tires are good, with rear just starting to wear a little flat, front looks real good. Cosmetically it looked very good. I didn't see the bags, but have to assume their in as good a shape as everything else. He said he has had to replace/repair a couple of little things, but he'll tell you all about that if you can track him down.

Good luck
  17. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info JTT. I'll let you know what happens.
    Craig
  18. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
  19. stinkwheel

stinkwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just happen to have a 96 GS for sale. It's got 112000 km and is in good shape, black, ABS, heated grips, Givis, brand new tires, etc. If you want to know more let me know. I live in Drayton Valley and so am only a couple of hours away.
  20. wheelin71

wheelin71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM stinkwheel. Thanks again to everyone who has given thier advise or leads. I'm still searching.
    Craig