New guy with some military KLR-250's

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by chief_919, Jan 12, 2011.

1. chief_919

chief_919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hello from western NC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have actually been a long time lurker here, but with no bike- with plans to always get one- I have just been reading the ride reports with envy. I actually found this site a long time ago when there was a link from the forum to one of the products I sell at my store (I always look at the incoming links to my website).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But things have changed- I am in the military surplus business, and I also collect and restore military vehicles. So a couple weeks ago I got a call from a friend who had a chance to buy 5 USMC issue KLR 250's- one restored, 4 that are far from it- and about 3 pallets of parts. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The price was too good to say no to, so now I have them. My plans are to restore at least 2 of the 4 unrestored ones, if not all 4. Along with the bikes I got a lot of parts, the factory service manuals, and 2 military surplus KLR-650 engines. I will sell the engines on Ebay soon to pay for some of the further cost to restoring these, and I want to end up with 2 bikes I keep for myself- one for shows, one to ride a lot, and sell the rest.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I haven't been on a bike in 15+ years, so goal # 1 is an MSF course. Luckily I am also in the Army Reserve, and they mandate all riders have the course so they will not only pay for the course, but pay me to go take it.:D[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]From visiting this site following links back it was the first place that popped into my mind to come to get some advice on this project- I hope you guys won't mind a lot of questions from a guy who knows his way around a diesel truck upside down and backwards but has never worked on bikes, and I look forward to getting on the road and meeting some folks.[/FONT]
  2. chief_919

chief_919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of the bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. chief_919

chief_919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, but I have been through the drill before here in NC. It will set me back a couple hundred for each one to do a bonded title, and I will have to have the state inspect the VIN's, but titles are doable.
  4. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Welcome back motorcycling. First off you need to sell one of the bikes to me to get your nest egg started :D
    I have the KLR 650 so not alot of help on the 250's but I'm sure you'll find plenty of advice here on ADV.
    Now seriously, when you want to get rid of one I'll step up and be first in line.
    Good luck...............
  5. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum. Read about these on the other forum. Good to see you here