New Helite Vests and Jackets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ErikMotoMan, Feb 1, 2017.

1. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    EDIT ALERT! Just 7 weeks after I started this thread, the HELITE Turtle vest proved to be a lifesaver. On March 25, 2017 I was rearended on the 405 freeway near LAX. I could easily have been killed, yet from the waist up, I did not get a scratch. The HELITE Turtle vest did its job exactly as intended. The horseshoe collar stabilized my helmet, which never even touched the ground. A miracle ? I'd call it solid research, engineering and commitment to safety. Thanks, HELITE, I'm your # 1 fan!

A 5 car pileup caused by the black car, above left. Paramedics and firefighters are working on me, above right, and below:

Now back to my original post, pre-accident:

Firm believers in ATTGATT unite? My thought is that this could be a thread where Helite users (and others, of course) can share their experiences, purchase decision making etc. In other words, spread the word, hopefully, we can help save lives.

DISCLAIMER: I am not employed by Helite. I am, however, a strong advocate of rider safety. After doing my research, I chose Helite, but there are other options available. I would like to hear from all. My objective is to save lives.

I'll start:

10 years ago I crashed racing motocross. I broke my back. It wasn't even a hard crash or high-speed crash.

In the end, it took years to recuperate, I lost my business, my house and the wife showed her true colours. They weren't all that pretty.

On top of that, there was the $ 85,000 (give or take) hospital bill.

Bankruptcy followed.

Obviously, these aren't issues that go through one's mind when starting the motorcycle, but those are the HARD consequences.

Had I been wearing an inflatable device I believe I would have walked away unscathed. Considering the Helite costs about the same as a quality helmet, the return on investment is HUGE!

Attached Files:

2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    in (before the "risk compensation", ATGATT hater crowd, etc. arrives). very interested in this technology and purchasing an airbag vest or jacket in the near future.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  3. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
  4. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in an accident in August in which I was nearly killed. A lacerated spleen, internal bleeding, and numerous fractures, including a really bad open break of the tibia and fibula in 3 places. The bike was totaled, but I'm back riding now on an identical replacement (Triumph Scrambler). I have been strongly considering an airbag vest since then and have been researching options. An airbag vest likely would have saved me at least from the internal injuries, the broken ribs, and the broken scapula. My main concern, though, is that it will block the vents on my jacket and be unbearably hot in the summer, leading to my not wearing it.
    Jimbo4575, cheapeto, 12grumpy and 3 others like this.
  5. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
  6. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For riders new to Airbag safety, Helite moto is the North American distributor. We have a direct connection with the owners and engineers of Helite and are here to answer any questions about their airbag technology. Helite is the only airbag available with 'Turtle Technology', and it's the most protective airbag on the market today.

It's in our vendor section but for all Adv members we offer a 10% discount when you use coupon code ADV at helitemoto.com. Also, PM us or write a note in the comments at checkout requesting a demo CO2 cartridge and we will send one for free with your order.

We really appreciate when riders talk about airbag safety. Whether riders choose to wear an airbag or not, we at least want them to know about it. The gentleman that just recently crashed sent an email to me last night that said:

"So I am just writing this to say thank you for your great product. I have just purchased another helite to go with my new bike."

Every rider that has crashed in a Helite airbag sends me this same line.
  7. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:

I had the same concern, but quickly realized it's not much of a factor as the air flows thru the middle front and out the sides. On really hot days I wear a cool vest under my leathers, others wear mesh jackets.
  8. PTJCAL

PTJCAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I just bought my airbag vest from Helite. It's a turtle hi vis. I also considered Hit Air and MotoAir but finally decided for the Helite because it seemed to me better quality and better tests and studies. The turtle has an external sas-tec CE certified huge back protector over the airbag. It's also CE certified as a moto airbag. And the front and lower back is also protected. The demo was made in Madrid and the dealer was competent and they explained me everything I needed to know. I was already using a very good Moveo neck brace which I had never used but the airbag substitutes the neck protection functionality.

The mechanical airbags as these ones, need to be pulled in order to be triggered. That's the only case (falling and moving along with the motorcycle) where the airbag might not give all its potential. But electronic ones are much more expensive and they are not reusable immediately and need repairing times between uses (every two years normally.)

There are also jackets but a vest fits me better so I can use it with all my current jackets. It's perfectly suited for summer weather and my summer jacket is a mesh one.

Over all, the price is around the same as a good helmet and it seems to me a good safety investment to hopefully not to have worst incidents.

I hope this is of any help to anyone deciding about Moto airbags.

Regards
    Magus, Pamalama and ErikMotoMan like this.
  9. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Great input, thank you. And thank you, also, for spelling out the benefits as well as addressing very valid concerns. I also chose the hi-viz vest rather than the jackets and for the same reasons that you mention: the ability to wear a variety of other jackets underneath the vest.
    SmittyBlackstone and PTJCAL like this.
  10. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Trying to decide between the Helite and a Tekvest. Rib protection is of most importance to me.
  11. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, TEKVEST doesn't inflate, correct?
  12. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Correct.

Not to mess up this thread on the Helite, search for inmate LostinPA who has great reviews on that option.
  13. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He actually owns both and believe he rides with the airbag on road and tekvest off-road.

I do plan to get one of these vests at some point. Wish they would come down in price a little bit though.

Also torn between hit-air and helite. I like the hip and neck protection the most.
  14. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
  15. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    According to my understanding ribs are more vulnerable to a full frontal impact. If so, does it make sense that an inflated 'active' device is more likely to absorb that impact and prevent ribs breaking? ( I don't know, having never broken ribs - usually I break my back :muutt

EDIT - just a few weeks after I wrote this I was almost killed on March 25, 2017 when rearended on the freeway. Thanks to my HELITE airbag vest I 'only' broke my femur. From the waist up, not a scratch.
  16. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually frok my experience it's your elbow driving into your ribs that breaks them. I would do tekvest if off-road and airbag if on.
  17. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Interesting info! What makes the tekvest 'better' than, say, any old chest protector?
  18. PTJCAL

PTJCAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My winter jacket is a Alpinestars New Land Goretex. Besides elbows and shoulders, it has internal pockets for a back protector and chest protectors. I have CE certified protection there which it was already there. I do not plan to move it out now with the airbag. I think it will be necessary in case of impact.

In summer, those internal protections are much more difficult to wear in hot weather (more than 40 degrees Celsius)

Hit Air airbags do allow to put protections inside, both at the front and the back of the airbag. The turtle already includes a very good back protector on the outside part of the back, both protecting your back and the air channels. You could even use a summer jacket without the back protector in that case.

With an airbag, more protection could be a good combination of hard armor inside, depending on the external weather (if too much and then discomfort and misuse, then it's not useful anymore.)
    Old Dudes Matter and currenv like this.
  19. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because a chest protector just protects the chest. A tekvest is a 360 degree armor. Depending on the model almost from your waist upwards. Much more coverage.
    West-star and ErikMotoMan like this.
  20. highlight

highlight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a helite turtle vest I bought last year. I have been wearing it every time I swing my leg over the saddle.

I heard somewhere(forgot the source, maybe youtube?) that helite is creating a new vest that is combining the latest electric sensor technology along with traditional tether to the bike to make sure that even if the electronic system fails, there is still the tether to activate the airbag. I look forward to any update about this new product and hope that it won't break the bank like the dainese D-air lines do.