New Helite Vests and Jackets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ErikMotoMan, Feb 1, 2017.

1. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    I think the electronic trigger is mentioned in helitemoto's thread in vendors.
    helitemoto likes this.
  2. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. highlight

highlight Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you mentioned it because there will be! We will know more about the trade up program before the new system is released.
    ShenandoahRider likes this.
  5. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    That's correct. I have the Helite Turtle that I use on street rides above my jackets. It has a CE2 back armor in it as well as the airbag feature. I typically use it over an Induction. It blocks some air but it's pretty negligible. I'm a big believer in this type of product, especially after Fred's crash and seeing some in the field live action crashes other guys have caught on camera.

Nichole from Helite will remember me as Steve who was determined to set it off while wearing a neck brace to see what would happen. But she was able to talk me down. Lol. What can I say? We get big on the outside but there's a curious 12 year old in us all.

I use the TekVest on dirt, trail. For those who have not seen it here is my TekVest Rally Max review and first crash report in it. I go the extra mile for you guys. :-)

Review: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tekvest-the-initial-review.1172211/

Crash Report: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/you-asked-i-delivered-tekvest-crash-tested.1179144/
    mbabc likes this.
  6. LostInPA

Oddometer:

You don't die or shatter your sternum when as a 225 lbs man you slam full force into your bar end. :-) You got 360 degree coverage so chances of breaking ribs and other bits and pieces are massively reduced off-road.

Coverage of the abdomen below the ribline down to waist to protect the squishy bits inside.

My subsequent exploits in my TekVest have resulted in more cussing and laughing as I get up than any pain. :-)
    SmittyBlackstone, aftCG and mbabc like this.
  7. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Keep up the entertainment! You've got us all in stitches.... uffda, that came out all 'wrong'....perhaps an unfortunate choice of words?

Regardless, this is good Intel. I'll check out the tekvest and see if it fits under the HELITE air bag vest!
    LostInPA likes this.
  8. DUXGS

DUXGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought Helite Turtles for myself, my girlfriend, and my Dad for Christmas (Revzilla had a sale). GF for pillion duty (hi viz), mine for sidecar rig and "normal" moto driver, and my Dads for sidecar rig driver-- only the dogs will go in the sidecar. Since we're in VT, no chance to use the vests yet, but I'm looking forward to the Spring. I'll be wearing it over a mesh jacket, so hopefully the airflow will still be there-- I've had 2 heat exhaustion incidents on the bike in the past (pre mesh gear) & am not a fan of the heat much over 85. So far reviews re airflow with the Helite have been positive. Anyone have feedback on comfort over a mesh jacket in the hot?
    SmittyBlackstone and ErikMotoMan like this.
  9. LostInPA

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have low to no heat tolerance. It works for me over my mesh Induction jacket. I'm down in PA so our climate is very similar.
  10. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I also have low heat tolerance. 72 degrees F is my comfort zone, yet I rode all the way from New York to California in July, wearing the HELITE over a IXS mesh jacket. On the hottest days also wore a cool vest (water evaporation ) underneath. Can thus personally attest that lack of airflow is not an issue.
    SmittyBlackstone and DUXGS like this.
  11. highlight

highlight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode with turtle vest over mesh jacket in 80F+ days, many of them were over 90F. It was sure not optimal for me, at least not when compared to just wearing the mesh jacket. In other words, the vest reduces airflow to the extent that I can feel it. However, I would take a little sweat as a pleasant compromise as I can't imagine myself riding without the turtle vest.
  12. DUXGS

DUXGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know-- thanks guys for the feedback. Sounds like I should be ok even in the warmer temps.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  13. jprodun

jprodun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone on here owns their leather jackets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is a little warmer using a Helite but after riding with it for the better part of a year, I just can't stand riding without it. Feels too dangerous not to have it. Riding dirt roads in Nevada at 60 to 80 mph lined with boulders. Would never do that without a Helite.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  15. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    NEW CRASH TESTIMONY - received February 7th, 2017. We are glad Ray is okay!

"Just wanted to write and let you know what a great product you have.
    I ride a 2011 BMWR1200GSA and was riding to work yesterday down the same road I have for the last 20+ years. It had rained really good the night before and the road was wet, but nothing to really worry about (or so I thought). I was in the right hand lane (two lanes going my direction) and I had just moved over to the left side because there was a big Snap-On Tool Van merging onto the highway and I wanted to give him room. Just as I got past his front bumper and going about 55mph, the bike started fish-tailing right to left. I tried steering into the skid and let off the gas a little trying to calm the wobbles, but they just got bigger and bigger and on about the eight one, the bike went to the right and I was pitched out to the left, off the bike (high-side). I didn’t have any time to think what was going on; next thing I knew, I hit the highway pretty hard with the left side of my head and shoulder and was sliding down the road! I started feeling a “burning” sensation on my left thigh and rolled onto my back before coming to a stop by the side of the rode. Nothing hurt and I immediately stood up, but had a hard time moving my neck and arms! Then I realized that my Helite Vest had gone off and that was keeping my head and neck secure! I just felt the pressure all around my torso and realized it had protected my head / neck / spine / ribs / hip during the fall. Long story short, the guy in the Snap-On Tool Van stopped right behind me to block traffic and helped me pick up the bike (it had come to a stopped about 20 feet down the highway on it’s left side). I moved to to the side of the rode, gave the bike and myself the "once over” and realized that we both were in working condition! I picked up the broken wind deflector and left front turn signal, dusted myself off, gave the bike a quick look for any leaks, breaks, missing parts. I thanked the Snap-On driver for stopping and started up the bike and rode to work for a meeting (and I was only 3 minutes late!).
    I can not tell you how impressed I was with the vest… I didn’t even realize it had gone off until I had stood up and tried to move! It inflated in a nanosecond and I now know why my back and ribs don’t hurt! Also, after looking at the abrasion on the left side of my helmet, I can honestly say that with out the vest and the way it secured my head and neck so quickly, I would not have been going to work in the Emergency Department, but I could have easily been one of the patients that morning! Thanks for making one outstanding piece of riding gear and I’ll be telling all my friends what piece of gear they really need to be wearing!"
    Ray D, RN
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you guys please make a hi viz vest that has a bit of style and doesn't look so much like a highway workers vest?
    Uke and thebugslayer like this.
  17. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    I hear you on that one... We request this from Helite often, and I send specific requests like yours to them. We went to the factory/office in October and had a meeting about future styles. I really hope we will see a hybrid color vest soon. Unfortunately it's a slow process because when designing there is so much they have to take into consideration. Fabric strength is a big one, and when piecing colors together it gets tricky. I'm not an expert on that part, but that's what they tell us.
    Uke likes this.
  18. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Helitemoto...one of my concerns on the Helite was its resistance to abrasion in a fall. But reading your crash report, it sounds as if it fared pretty well? Do you wear other protection in addition to the Helite Turtle?
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  19. jprodun

jprodun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id like to see a black one with reflective stripes on it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    If a rider is wearing a Helite jacket, then no. It comes with all armor, and is built with strong Cordura or leather depending on the jacket. If a rider is wearing a vest then we recommend wearing an armored motorcycle jacket underneath minus the back protector since the Turtle is equipped with one.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.