New Helite Vests and Jackets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ErikMotoMan, Feb 1, 2017.

1. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another turtle vest sizing question for helitmoto. I ordered an XL regular, which has plenty of room over ride gear with just a bit of looseness cinched all the way. I'm thinking not too snug to allow for ROM and inflation room is correct. When sitting on the bike though, the vest rides up and floats over the jacket as it hangs quite low covering the butt area as it rests on the seat. I'm wondering if I should have gone with a L regular despite the website sizing guide?

The size chart and my measurements indicate an L Long or even a XL Long, but I thought that would be too large/long and went with the XL regular. The XL regular as mentioned, hangs down quite far now over the butt, which I like for protection, but any longer and I'd be fully sitting on it. So, that much of sizing went well, but the vest just feels too big and long. Never any trouble with sizing ride gear before, but also have never worn a dynamic piece of gear and want to ensure best vest fitment for a main event get-off.

Thanks,
    Rich
  2. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick

According to the sizing chart you could be an XL or and L. You're on the slimmer side for 5'11" so I would recommend we (or whomever you bought it through) do a size exchange.

email me with more info zak@helitemoto.com
    AdvRich likes this.
  3. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Email sent.
    helitemoto likes this.
  4. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can the vest be worn under the jacket? Would think it would be protected from being punctuated in the accident.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not unless the jacket was about 8 sizes too large. Inflated the vest would likely destroy the jacket and suffocate you.
    Buy one if their jackets is wear the Turtle over your jacket.
  6. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Also noticed that some “backpack “style only offer back protection where some offer both front and back protection.
  7. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, the Turtle air vest must be allowed to expand if the occasion occurs for it to inflate, which is supposed to be in less than 1/10th of a second. As such it needs to be outside your jacket, whether or not your jacket is armored. The Turtle Air Vest should be worn fairly snug as it inflates outward, away from your body, but you don't want it shifting around. So, keep it comfortable, but snug.

Or, get a Helite integral Jacket with Air Vest, an all in one jacket and safety air vest.

I like the HiViz styling on my Turtle Vest. Helite doesn't offer a HiViz jacket with integral air bag so I'm staying with my three season armored jacket and separate Turtle Air Vest.

I'm far less concerned about my Turtle Air Vest getting punctured as what might happen to my torso, especially my neck and spine as well as my ribs, in the event of an unplanned potentially violent get-off.
  8. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for explanation, however my concern is about the bag being punctured and then deflating immediately before the accident is over.
    helitemoto likes this.
  9. Uke

Oddometer:
    The inflating air bladder is within the outer cover of the Turtle Vest, it has been real life demonstrated to inflate and protect the wearer, while sliding on pavement and hitting objects such as vehicles.

Look for the actual testimonials by Erik Motoman who survived a serious multi vehicle freeway collision and FredBGG who survived a high speed collision with a deer. There may be references to these two events earlier in this thread, have a look. Otherwise search for the specific threads which are likely in the Face Plant section as they are first person accounts of moto accidents.

EDIT: If nothing else, read these two threads and then decide if a Helite vest will endure through an accident.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rear-ended-broken-femur-totaled-gsw.1214740/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/crashed-hitting-a-deer-at-about-55mph.1171110/
    helitemoto and ontrip like this.
  10. Uke

Oddometer:
    I just realized Erik's demonstration of the Helite Turtle vest is also the first post of this thread, too.

My brain is running slow today.
    helitemoto likes this.
  11. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys need more choices for woman. Needs a few vents, too.
    I have a Turtle vest and want something for the bride but all leather with no vents won't please that fair weather rider.
    Dana.GotDirt likes this.
  12. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    The large fits perfectly, thanks. Hardly noticeable while riding and just the one new habit to remember to click it when getting on/off. I know it doesn't make me any safer riding, but it does better equip me for a sudden get-off.
    helitemoto likes this.
  13. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    I hear you. There may be more ladies-only items from Helite in the future. Right now, all of our jackets and vests are unisex. I can help with sizing if you have any questions about that.

Let me know
  14. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    I have hi-viz. Need color and fit options for the bride. What can I say?
    Tell them to get going already!
    helitemoto likes this.
  15. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Black is too hot in summer and believe it or not there's a researched school of thought that 50% of the drivers totally miss hi=viz.
  16. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    You can email me at zak@helitemoto.com, but in order to help with sizing, what are your wife's height and weight?
  17. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Thank you. She does not want black or hi-viz.
  18. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    No problem. We have the following colors available to order:
    Green
    Orange
    Purple
    Red
    Navy
    Royal Blue
    Grey

There can be up to an 8 week lead time for production and shipping, but you can order different colors. If you decide that one or a few of these colors are of interest you will need to email us directly to place the order.
  19. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    I'll relay.

Thank you for the info.
  20. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend I am sure would not like to share his story, sorry about that. he is just that way.

RE: Helite vest live test.

Greg