1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Helite Vests and Jackets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ErikMotoMan, Feb 1, 2017.

1. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as neck protection - Helite has tested the neck roll being connected to the back tubes, versus having the airbag neck roll unconnected and separate than the back tubes. With the back and the neck connected as one piece, they found that it's more rigid and more effective at protecting the spine and immobilizing the head. With the neck roll separate from the back it allows for more flex with the neck.
  2. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super
  3. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    I picked-up my Helite Turtle a couple months ago. So far I've gotten used to the extra layer and plugging/unplugging. My only complaint is that there are very thin Velcro strips on both sides of the collar that I guess are intended to fold the collar down a bit out of the way. It doesn't do this well at all, which I haven't noticed except that the exposed "male" velcro (the two sides don't stay locked together) has absolutely destroyed the underbelly of my helmet's cheek pad. New pads aren't the end of the world, but solving this problem is a mystery to me without having a seamstress remove the Velcro entirely. Not sure if others have seen this?
    PTJCAL likes this.
  4. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    After I broke my back (racing motorcycles, ofcourse) I wore a hard plastic clamshell brace for months. That + walker + Vicodin + speedvision became my best friends.... but the brace made me sweat like crazy. I solved that problem with a step drill - 5 mins later it looked like a Swiss cheese. I'm not suggesting you start drilling holes in a back protector but .... if heat is a deal breaker ... could one have a leather shop make some reinforced vents in the center back between the airbags? Nah, better not!
  5. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Yes, those of us with fat, stubby necks may experience this. Mine does that too. I caught that problem fairly early and solved it by having the bottom strap really tight to stop the vest from riding up. I agree that this is an area that needs improvement. Those who have longer necks won't have the problem. After 35,000 miles I have this very minor chafing which I will dismiss as normal wear and tear. How bad is yours?

IMG_6073.JPG
  6. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    I'm not at home, so pic'll have to wait, but mine has only been about 500-600 miles and has done major scarring to the vinyl portion, a little more outboard of where yours is showing damage. I don't feel like the vest is riding-up and I'm no stubby neck guy. I've got a spare set of shoei pads, but need to remedy this defect first.
  7. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    IMG_6074.JPG
  8. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    I can't tell if this Velcro strip is glued stitched, but the simple answer is it needs to be gone or covered. I'll experiment and report back. And I was just kidding about short and stubby :-)
    - even though most of me is short and stubby -
    chabon likes this.
  9. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm very sorry for your trouble with the vest damaging your helmet. Fortunately there is a remedy. If you would like to ship your vest to us, we can take care of it or you can do it yourself. I carefully take a razor blade and cut the hook part off of the exposed velcro so it doesn't grab the helmet fabric. I've heard some riders use a hot knife and melt the hooks of the velcro. Either one works, just take your time. It's hard to get through the fabric to the rubber airbag, but always good to be careful with a product like this.
  10. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the purpose of the Velcro? To just hold down that little flap? I assume in the event the air bag goes off it needs that extra material there to expand and protect the neck area. I would suggest some super glue or fabric glue. Just a little bit to hold it, though might be detrimental in the effectiveness when t does go off.
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not so worried about style, but bright colors on my chest cause major reflections on my GPS and LCD instrument screens. If I'm to read either, I need black in the central chest area. I'd like Hi-Viz sides, back and trim, but I'll buy an all black vest rather than fight reflected glare. In any color, buckles, straps, canisters and lanyards pretty much rule out any sort of style except "safety nerd". NTTIAWWT
    PTJCAL likes this.
  12. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    I agree with the hiviz reflection issue, however, the front of the vest is as much silver reflective as hiviz. In fact I get less reflection now than I did with my 100% hiviz jacket.

You'd think Garmin could do a better job. Don't have same problem with iPhone in X cradle, but then the angle of attack is different. Good input, Thanx!
  13. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    I think the only function is adjustability of the neck opening. It's only about 1/2 " on either side and serves little to no real function, IMHO
  14. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    10 minutes with a stitch cutter and the strips are gone: IMG_6078.JPG
    chabon likes this.
  15. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So y'all sold me on helite. After viewing the website though I'm a bit confused on the sizing.

I'm 5'11 with a tall torso and 30" inseam. Sometimes buy long shirts but sometimes I don't need to. My weight also fluctuates a lot. Currently 250 but with gym can be anywhere from 230-250. I also will be wearing this over motoport which is notoriously bulky. I won't ever layer other than a super thin rain jacket.

So what's the major difference between L-L and XL-L? The vests appear to be long in the back. Thoughts?

IMG_3121.PNG
  16. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Based upon your weight/height I'd say you are an L-L.

I'm 5'10, 30" inseam, long torso and weigh 210 and a 34" waist. My vest size is L.

And that's a loose fit, as I wear a XL leather jacket with back protector under the vest. Sometimes I wear a sweat shirt under the jacket. The vests have adjustable straps to compensate for girth.

So the main difference is weight. If you were closer to 200 lbs weight, you would be a size L.

The vest are long-ish to better protect your pelvis and tailbone. Wish I had one back on October 1, 2006 when I broke my back. Thanks for making a decision you'll never regret.
  17. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    @ ErickMotoman,

are you a spokesman for helite or what? It's clear you are very biased towards helite... and that's speaking from someone who (at this point prefer helite over hit-air). I bought hit-air 5 years ago from a dealer who has been active on this forum - at the time i was not aware the existence of helite for MC (or maybe they were still concentrating on the equestrian side of business). I bought helite on an ebay sale less than 1 year ago, primarily because the dramatically reduced deployment time (0.1 sec vs 0.25sec hitair). But i learn today that hit-air has a version now at about the same deployment speed as helite (0.09sec claimed by hitair. So if i was to buy it today, i would look at other factors for consideration rather than deployment speed since 0.1 sec and 0.09 sec would be essentially the same.

One has to remember that unlike some other very useful EN tests for motorcyclist, EN test for airbag jacket, IMO, does not add much information for the consumers- it does not stipulates what the minimum deployment speed has to be, for example, or how abrasion resistant the outer material protecting the air tube is - While i do congratulate Helite for doing it, it would not be a major consideration for me

In the example you gave " one pound of steel vs Styrofoam ", i would say that it is the type of object you are colliding with which has more relevance with the ultimate force you receive rather than the " spreading of impact forced" from the back protector.

But in any case in a " all else being equal" test, i would imagine whether the force of impact is " spread out" first before being cushion by the air-tube (helite turtle setup) would more or less be the same as the force being cushioned first by absorb by air-tube before being " spread out" by back protector (Hit Air with back protector worn). - assuming of course same protector is worn and the air-tube provide the same force attenuation. So i think the so-call diagram by helite is a bit of marketing spin (to put it politely)

You can argue Helite turtle comes with back protector as standard and Hit Air an optional extra - and this maybe ultimately a factor in price/value comparison. But to compare protection Helite Turtle with back protector built in and Hit Air without optional protector installed or otherwise worn, is a little misleading to say the least.

higher price does not always equal better product in the same way as lower price does not always equal better value for money - each case needs to be analyse on its own!

------------------
    George Hanson likes this.
  18. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Valid points, all. Thank you. Of course I have a preference towards the product I chose to spend money on. Just like I prefer BMW. As the saying goes: "ask the man who owns one"

Now, if I were to propound that the Yugo is the best car ever built and the Toyota the worst, then my position would likely be ridiculed. In fact, there's a fancy word for that: cognitive dissonance. Basically, it's where personal opinion overrides common sense and facts in evidence. That, however, is not the case here.0'

I am a vociferous supporter of good quality products. But please read the disclaimer in my opening statement. You will also note that I'm a big fan of Clearwater lights and Dunlop tires and Wunderlich products. I'm also a big fan of JvB, in all his ever loving grumpy no nonsense attitude. The operative word is vociferous. I speak my mind, and argue my case, with a reasonable amount of insight and common logic. But I am not an armchair expert. When I speak, I speak from a point of personal, factual experience. If I am not sure, I ask questions and investigate. When someone offers an opposing argument I'm the first to admit that they could have a valid point. Hence my opening statement.

You said:

You can argue Helite turtle comes with back protector as standard and Hit Air an optional extra - and this maybe ultimately a factor in price/value comparison. But to compare protection Helite Turtle with back protector built in and Hit Air without optional protector installed or otherwise worn, is a little misleading to say the least."

My position here is simple: out of the box the HELITE comes with a back protector. Isn't Joe or Joan Rider most likely to use a product as more or less exactly as it was purchased? If so, isn't it a reasonable argument that the integral back protector of the HELITE offers greater OVERALL protection than the hit air that comes with nothing? Isn't it a reasonable argument that positioning the back protector as the 'first line of defense' is more like to prevent 'wear through' and rupture of the air bag?

Thanks for reading this far, I eagerly await your counterpoint.
  19. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    if you buy hit-air vest without optional protector and dont wear back protector elsewhere, then yes, stock Helite Turtle will provide superior impact protection- although i think most people who is buying a airbag vest will also wear a back protector?

i agree that backprotector on the outside has the benefit of giving an additional layer of abrasion protection for the airbag tube. this reduce the chance of airbag busting while you slide (after first impact in a crash) and maybe (depending on crash type) gives a additional impact protection on potentional secondary impact in a crash.
  20. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many liters is that tank bag if you don't mind me asking?