New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's standard for damping adjusters on shocks as well as forks. How do you like them? Were they an improvement in your opinion over stock?

Thanks,
    Marc
  2. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yes, same with OE.

Marc
  3. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I haven't bothered with bringing this to the dealer for the simple reason that this is a subjective call without even another bike around to compare it to. Warranty through Honda is good for obviously broken things most of the time but for issues like this, go ahead and knock yourself out. For me, I'd rather preserve my time and stress and have an expert handle it who actually has the potential to fix something. I'm old and at some point in time many of us just stop fighting the system and focus on results. This is an example of that. Might have been different not so long ago :-)

Marc
    MUDHWY likes this.
  4. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    Shows what I know. :lol2 Honestly, I haven't had a bike with damping adjustments in the forks for sometime. Last machine was the KTM 1290SA with it's electronic wizardry suspension. No adjustments needed except button pushes.

I really like the Traxxion kit. Paired with the Tractive rear shock I added at the same time they made a huge difference for this big fella.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    @MarcParnes, does the following statement mean you checked for stiction with the forks mounted but with only the upper clamps tight?

'Lower clamp is torqued to factory specs so the tubes shouldn't be deforming (tested this by loosening everything except the top clamp)."
  6. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yes

Marc
  7. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I finally took the forks over to RG3 http://www.rg3suspension.com/ to see what Rob could to with it. He did his magic and the difference is amazing. The fork is now compliant over all kinds of bumps including the hop we pick up on our freeways and really rails in the twisties. He completely changed the cartridge valving from what Traxxion had and it feels it. He also upgraded the bushings. He can revalve the stock cartridges as well if someone is interested. I included his website above as I recommend him highly.

Marc
    slipknot and James Adams like this.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The way Marc described the stiction, it sure didn't sound like it'd be open to interpretation. The warranty repair isn't coming out of the dealer's pocket either.
    Great results but that still leaves the unanswered question of what was wrong with your OEM forks in the first place. Did he find any manufacturing flaw on them?
  9. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I know this will be worse than an oil thread. :lol2
    but I'll ask anyway. Seat recommendations? They all seem to run the samish pricing. I'm leaning to Mr Ed at this point. It's actually riding down time for me as we are in 100+ (40C) temps. I was thinking if his lead time is shorter than winter it may be worth doing now.
    Or Corbin as they seem to be the only ones providing a seat pan?
    I've had Russell Day Long, Renazco, and custom before. Maybe thats why my butt isn't liking the Honda OEM....
  10. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    I have a Mr. Ed's Custom saddle on mine right now and I do like it but if I had to do it all over again I would go with the RDL.
    James Adams likes this.
  11. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I had gone with RDL or Corbin. Renazco does top-notch dirtbike seats but doesn't have the right experience to make a long-distance road bike seat.

Don't get me wrong, he did a quality job, but it's just not quite the right shape.
  12. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem like it. He gave me the old bushings and said the replacements are of a higher quality as far as size tolerance and material but I can't tell anything by looking at them. I rode it again today for a bit and it is still no Telelever but certainly in the realm of what I'd expect from a telescopic fork and definitely on par with the Tractive setup I had in my XR. The difference in handling and bump control in the twisties was by far the biggest surprise. This thing rails now :-) Before I found myself constantly touching the brakes going hard into turns in order to settle the bike down while Saturday on a couple of our fastest, shittiest surfaced twisties (Old Julian and Highland Valley for the locals) I didn't feel the need to touch the brakes at all. I'm really liking this bike now. Goes like stink for such a big, bloated pig :-)

Marc
    twinrider and James Adams like this.
  13. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corbin, it's quite a nice improvement over stock. Riders bucket is long and flat.
    James Adams likes this.
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riders bucket...........Maybe too long. You best have very long arms with the Corbin. The “back of the bucket” is 2-2.5 “ back from the stock location. I like the Corbin, I knew the seat was longer when I bought.......I was concerned it would not be ideal. If I could change one thing......it would be the bucket length.
  15. c5ip

c5ip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a RDL, Sergeant, and two BMS seats. Currently have a BMS on the 1200X. Of them all, the RDL was the most comfortable but looks ugly (to me). My current BMS is okay but a little firm for all day riding.
  16. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is longer, and fortunately flat, which I like it because allows me to slide up and back to change position like motorcycle seats used to be. But for anyone interested in a Corbin seat consider they will alter it to your request so if you don't want the ability to slide back ask them to move the riders bucket forward about 1 1/2" to about where the stock bucket stops (or anywhere in between). I had them raise the front bucket 1/2-3/4" to gain just a bit more knee room.
  17. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Gent's. I think what it is is that the OEM one has "broken in" and between the shape and foam it is abysmal.

I looked at my old bikes 1 was a BMS not an RDL. I agree it was a little firm for long rides (misses the tractor seat by that much) but it was acceptable up to 14 hours or so. Provided that wasn't every day.

I'm starting to lean to the Corbin. I'll look at the "riders bucket" because i would like a little more room than stock. My gear was just a little too far for a decent back rest on the stocker. 1-1 1/2 inches seems about perfect with risers. Also if I could boost the "height" 1/2 an inch or so that would be grand. With a smidge more height and room to move it would be a great seat, really improving ergonomics, assuming all else is better.

Strangely (?) the inverted riding season here seat heat sounds mighty tempting as well. I've also had a couple long summer trips where I just can't pack the amount of gear I need for every climate zone I cross.....sweating to freezing all in the same journey.
  18. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I have a RDL Sport on the CT now. 500 miles and no thought of my ass. Amazing!
    MUDHWY likes this.
  19. jboy

jboy n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have a RDL, and am completly sold. Awesome seat ! I am not blessed with natural padding and I had tried Touratech (moderate improvement), Seat Concepts ( moderate also). With the RDL I literally don't move other than to stretch my legs.
  20. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a leftover 2016!

It had 0 miles.

Dealer put a new battery in, because it was over 3 years old.

Huuuuge discount.

Now I will have to sell my WeeStrom 20190822_175651-01.jpg 20190822_175712-01.jpg 20190822_180718-01.jpg 20190822_180737-02.jpg
    twinrider, Nttra, treybrad and 2 others like this.