New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Donttellmywife

Donttellmywife Wheelie nice guy

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!! old tires tho.
  2. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 years in airconditioned showroom.
    I bet they will be fine for another year
  3. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bet they are good for another 3-4 years.

(especially with zero sunlight and zero heat cold cycles.)
  4. kaertner

kaertner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem whatsoever with the tyres, they are as good as new. It's UV and heat cycles that ages tyres and since it's been kept indoors and unused, that won't be an issue.
    showkey likes this.
  5. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked the Wee but there's no comparison. Wow you even got extra levers and stuff on your VFR! Not sure that's a bonus or not though....
    That's a manual sitting at DFW Honda that was there since I bought mine. Not a stellar seller here definitely under rated.
  6. MUDHWY

MUDHWY I Drink Your Milkshake

Oddometer:
    Over on the main CT website. This owner is approaching 500,000 trouble-free KM on his VFRX. I plan to keep/ride mine at least that long. :1drink

[​IMG]
    c5ip likes this.
  7. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    That 2015 XT is my second Weestrom and I rode a Vee 1000 quite a bit, too. Here's some insight for those who are thinking about making a switch from a Wee, Vee to the VFR.

My 2015 Adventure XT has better seat (wider, comfier and has some grip to it), more suspension travel and feels better on really rough pavement. It feels less tippy and easier to maneuver at slow speed. Brakes also feel better, but maybe it will improve for the VFR as I ride it more.
    Wee came stock with crash bars and luggage.
    I didn't think I would ever say that, but the plastic bits on the Wee seem to be of better quality than the VFR.

The VFR is light years ahead in power and highway performance. Now, that torque is just stupid. I can't believe how it pulls from the very bottom. Traction control is a big plus. The handlebar fits me perfect ( I hated the stock bar on the Wee and had to replace it). I don't feel a need for bar riser or different bend. The adjustable windshield looks small, but actually works better than the one on the Wee. The adjustment is really cool.

All-in-all, in my subjective opinion, Wee is slightly better in the suspension department and handling at slow speeds. VFR wins in performance, highway handling and, again subjectively, looks.

I will probably miss that Wee when I sell it, but I think I now have a better bike for my type of riding.
  8. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    @MarcParnes and @jboy got any pictures? I'm interested in what the "sport" looks like compared to the "touring". I've been surfing a lot on the issue but am curious what our beasts look like with those seats. RDL adds up to $$ in a big hurry. So added questions, Leather? Heat? Pros cons?
  9. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Posted this before but here's the Mr. Ed's product so you can get a look. Don makes a very nice saddle overall and it's considerably less $$ than a Russell.

20180709_080134.jpg 20180709_080159.jpg
  10. jboy

jboy n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go back to page #190, there are some pictures there.
  11. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Here's mine. IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0771.JPG

Marc
  12. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me how much does it cost for a dealer to do the valve job? I think I read somewhere the engine had to be rotated? Also does the motor accept regular 87?
  13. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to heap some praise on the McCruise CC product. Back in the Spring, the exchange rate between AUD and USD allowed me to purchase it for less than what I had heard of other US purchasers paying. I had it shipped to the dealer who had sold me the bike for install. All together I paid around $800, and it is worth every penny. For the DCT model, the 3-button controller must mount on the right hand side. This is a hard reach to set the speed with one hand while holding the throttle, and I often use my left hand instead. The operation is smooth and just as you would expect to find for a 4-wheel vehicle. Even where I live in the CO mountains, the speed mostly holds to within +/- 2 mph of the set speed. It looks like this degree of variance can be adjusted, but I don't see any need. The buttons are backlit. Initially it would not remain engaged. After some emails with one of the company owners, we actually spoke via cellular and found that one of the little magnets used by the speed sensor was missing from its brake rotor bolt head. Luckily the dealer shop had placed the spares on a bolt head under the seat, per the installation recommendation. So there you have it, I approve!
    misterk, Cajunhawg and Motogasoline like this.
  14. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 16K service on mine billed out at $843. That was the full service manual check plus an air cleaner.

Thanks for the seat pics. The RDL is definitely "big" and if that's the "sport" lord the "touring" must be massive....
  15. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I have one as well and it works great! I had trouble using it with the controls on the throttle side so I moved them to the left side. It was very simple and took 30 minutes. Tony at McCruise sent me a left side button set and a new plastic housing for about $25 delivered. I used the original mounting bracket attached to the left side mirror mount. Any questions, let me know.

Marc

IMG_0773.JPG
  16. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will email Tony on this. I wonder why we were not provided with this setup in the first place.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    McCruise has a new, slimmer switch being offered. Whether it works with all bikes or previous installations I don't know.
  18. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    I still can't take a product seriously that is called "McCruise."

Why not quarter cruise with cheese? :imaposer
  19. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know about this update. I just ordered one for mine. They can be retrofitted. Thanks for posting.

Marc
  20. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I asked Frank that and it was because he couldn't get a DCT bike to work on and remembered that it didn't work on the left side with the VFR1200F. I told him about it and now they send it with the left side control as standard.

Marc