New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I previously asked about this on the Crosstourer site, but in any case, I didn't get any good answer. When parked and switched off, my bike makes the strangest noise that is probably some kind of venting. It seems to do this relatively more often in the few hours after being shut off, but it can do it at any time. It sounds kind of like the lower pitch part of a donkey braying. It is pretty annoying. Can anyone relate and tell me what causes it and if it can be silenced?
  2. James Adams

James Adams Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Open the fuel filler cap when it's doing that.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My Africa Twin started doing this. They replaced the fuel pump and the noise disappeared.
  4. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has been doing this since day one and I think it's normal.
  5. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    Consider it like farting or belching after a meal. Quit worrying and just ride it.
  6. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My oem Scorpions will need to be changed soon. With that said, I've used stick on weights for previous bikes, but thought about trying the spoke weights with set screws.

Those of you mount and balance your own tires, what are you using for weights (stick on or spoke)?
  7. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    Stick-on here. Working great. Considering the beads if I make any change to my balancing process.
  8. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    I use ride-on balancer sealer for my needs.

Greg
  9. c5ip

c5ip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stick on. No problem. Have .5 ounces on my front wheel.

I mounted a set of Scorpion a Trail IIs and like them. Basically a road tire , though. Light gravel dirt roads they’re okay. Have 7K miles so far. Looks like I can get a little over 8K.
  10. ThrottleStop

Oddometer:
    I bought and paid for two bottles, (16 ounces total) both bottles arrived, sealed, but each contained only 7 ounces each for a total of 14 ounces. My bike requires at least 8 ounces in each tire. Since the bottles arrived missing an ounce in each one, I have to order another bottle to complete the required amount for each tire. It might not sound like much, only one ounce missing from each bottle, but multiply that ounce by every bottle sold and you start to see what a rip-off this really is. I cannot rate the products effectiveness yet because neither tire has enough product in it to give it a fair test. I will be contacting RO Customer Service about the missing volume of product in my purchase.
  11. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Based on the dosage table, I am under dosing my tires a bit using just one full bottle per tire. This is my third set on the vfrx with ride on and the coating still looked pretty solid and evenly spread when I pulled the tires off for replacement. Have also seen two punctures sealed in that time. The fuller dose would likely cover a bit more width but isnt needed for the balancing aspect which is my primary reason for use. I just hate the feel of a tire out of balance. Never feeling a shaky tire and pulling nail/staple out and not loosing air didn't feel like a ripoff to me.

Greg
  12. ThrottleStop

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your input but IMO getting less than what one pays for is the very definition of rip-off.
  13. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is surprising that there are no independent testing or comparison test of the balancing liquids and bead products.

Yes.......the products are very controversial from an engineering and sales practices.........plus no tire or vehicle manufacturers recommend or allow the products. Yes there are at least a dozen old threads with several 1000 posts on the topic.........all with no conclusion or actual tests......but plenty of opinions.

Motorcycle Consumer News did a test years back and firm in England did some testing.

Back to back rider testing blind study would be extremely interesting. Bikes with no tire balancing of any kind should be included. My bet is the riders would have no better than random guessing on which bikes had weights vs no balance vs alternative balance.
  14. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Do you recall what MCN concluded?
  15. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    About the only real way to test it would be to mount the same tire with each of the solutions then run a test rig and measure the vibration. The vibration numbers would extrapolate out to wear patterns. Then several brands/types. Not difficult but time consuming and would require good equipment. That tire would be run through the wringer when done.
  16. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

They concluded beads did no balancing..........but.........did no harm.

Check the February issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, page 5, "Tire Bead 411". MCN tested these in October of 2006, and found that they did not work: they loaded a verified unbalanced tire with them, ran it on a shop balancer, and it was still off balance with the beads. After that, they did a road test: the beads made a barely perceptible improvement in the wheel vibration/bounce. The beads also created a gyroscope effect, making steering more sluggish, as per the editor's comments.

Can’t find the original article ...........here’s a link to 90 comments on the article and beads.

https://www.mcnews.com/community/topic/dyna-beads/
    MUDHWY likes this.
  17. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Lol. A good portion of those comments are actually pro-beads!

The debate wages on...
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Why bother with beads when a simple wheel weight will do.
  19. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Better promised performance and tire longevity. Better looks. Don't lose them from fling off like stick-on weights.
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I've yet to have a weight fling off. If the tire is balanced, the life should be the same. Looks? Hmmm, I never thought much about a weight detracting from a bike's appearance. Can't even see them unless you're staring at the wheel from a foot away. ;)