New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try the glass variety next tire change.
  2. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I have a copy of that report on my website here.

Marc
  3. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one thing about it that does intrigue me about the beads would be I had the OEM tire wear funny and the Road 4 did as well, but not as bad. Didn't seem to be balance and not noticeably out of round rim. The current one is wearing better but it's hard to tell. The OEN was down to threads for 25% and fine on the opposite side.
  4. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7047.JPG
    I just had a twilight zone wrenching experience and would appreciate some feedback (especially good-natured ribbing). I previously installed Givi crash bars to my DCT. Although they are a PITA to install (due to the DCT cover interference and front hole misalignment), I had felt no undue resistance as I threaded the kit frame bolts. Now today I had to remove the crash bars to perform some work. I felt troubling undue resistance as I removed both left side kit frame bolts. I even switched to a 1/2" drive ratchet. Then upon re-installing the crash bars, I had to stop with those bolts, fearing serious thread damage. I then removed the crash bars altogether and re-installed the OEM frame bolts. The two on the left side put up a fight, but they tightened. What in the Hell is going on? Is this galling? I am not this bad with a wrench!
  5. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question.
    What's your driveline lash ?
    When in gear i can significantly rock the bike back and forth. Probably 5-6 inches.
    Bike has only 600 miles. That seems likena lot. At least twice as much as my friend's Super Tenere
  6. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much normal..........the amount of lash was mentioned in several magazine reviews.

MCN OCT 2016
    “ Driveline lash on and off throttle at low speeds”. Mentioned as a recap PANS
    In the article text
    “Shaft drive causes a noticeable amount of drive line lash”
    ThrottleStop likes this.
  7. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    I think you already answered your own question.

"Front hole misalignment" (that's what she said :lol3) generates friction, which translates to heat and potentially galling. Like most guys I have learned the hard way to fine-tune my wrenching skills. Here's my acquired knowledge on the subject:

Slowing down the installation speed can help. You didn't say that you did so but definitely don't use power tools for this type of installation. It's important to remember that bolts are not designed to pull together a joint or force materials into position. Doing so drastically increases the chance of galling. The crash bars being bolted should already be in proper place so the bolt/nut can be spun down by hand until the final tightening. If necessary, use some clamps to hold joints together during bolting.

I also use anti-seizing or anti-galling lubricants to reduce the chance of galling. Spray some WD-40 on the threads if a more specialized product is not in your garage. Check for damage to the threads of each bolt, especially bolts with fine thread. You should be able to put a standard nut on a bolt by hand. If not, it may indicate dented or damaged threads. Also note that debris in the threads of a fastener can greatly increase the chances of galling. Always use clean parts.

If a fastener begins to bind before you are actually tightening it down, stop immediately. Wait a minute or two to allow any heat to dissipate and then back the fastener off. Inspect the threads for damage and try again with a new bolt/nut if available

:beer
  8. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    Thanks. In any case, I appreciate that insight. To clarify, the front holes to which I referred are not for frame bolts; they take smaller bolts to connect the left and right guards to a cross member under the beak. While installing, I think that I left the frame bolts barely loose while I aligned the dang front bolts. I did not use power tools. So your theory seems within the realm of possibility, but maybe not as likely as you thought. I love a good "thats what she said" joke. They are the best!
  9. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    IMG_7049.JPG
    I installed the new slim MC Cruise controller and tried it out. Note that for the DCT you will have to move both the mirror clamp and the parking brake lever over a bit.

The good:
    More integrated look
    Continuous accel / decel by holding down the associated buttons (my original controller would only operate incrementally for each button push)

The bad:
    Buttons are not so tactile thru gloves and should be more raised
    Double sided tape failed to hold. I will look for a very narrow hose clamp to replace the tie wrap.

Why I personally am not real happy with MC Cruise:
    They made a bad assumption (based on the VFR1200F DCT) that the left hand version of the original controller would not fit the VFR1200X DCT, when in fact it would, and the right hand controller that they supplied instead was very awkward to reach. By the time I learned of their error, they were offering the new slim controller, so I spent just under $90 to get it. I would be happier if they had just originally included the left hand version of the original controller.
    Dieselboy, swimmer and Cajunhawg like this.
  10. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    It would be really helpful if you let Tony at Mccruise know of the problems if you haven't already. He is very responsive. Email is sales@mccruise.com.

Marc
  11. MarcParnes

MarcParnes Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I meant to let them know of the issues you have with it:

The bad:
    Buttons are not so tactile thru gloves and should be more raised
    Double sided tape failed to hold. I will look for a very narrow hose clamp to replace the tie wrap.

I've got one too but the bike has been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks due to problems with the forks so I haven't installed the new controller yet.

Marc
  12. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    Got it. I will.
  13. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Shoulda gone to Arby's.
  14. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is what you meant, but who offers the SW Motech crash bars at the lowest price?
  15. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Nope. See post 4501.
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    So for this slim switch they supply tape as the fastening method?
  17. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    So I'm popping on this thread, introducing myself, I'm looking at a good 2nd hand 2016 VFR with about 10,000 miles (16K km) with a few farkles on it. Planning a test ride this week sometime. Hoping to do 90% road and 10% good dirt/gravel roads. I've done some googling, but it looks like they are all the same, can anyone tell me if there were any changes in models between say 2012 and 2018. (particularly any changes that might preclude a good aftermarket (Arrow) exhaust on the 2016 model?
    I've got a small Ducati for all road/coffee runs, and a 501 for rough dual purpose. Hoping the VFR would fill the gap better than the more expensive BMW1200GS which is dearer/older for the same money?
  18. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
  19. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    The main fastener is a tie wrap that runs through a hollow channel in the switch and around the bar. The double sided tape is applied between the bar and the concave surface of the switch to keep it from rotating. I just heard from MC Cruise and they advised to clean both surfaces with wood alcohol, which I will try. I could also jam some type of shim between the switch and the adjacent mirror clamp. I am sure it can be made to work.
    swimmer likes this.
  20. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested Cycle Gear has Anakee 3 on sale. 275 a set for the VFR, seems pretty good. Thats with tax for me. Same price as revzilla but discounted install.