New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I ordered a Mitas tire for my AT from Revzilla a couple ofwweeks ago and received an email stating I can take the tire to cyclegear and the will mount for $20/$25 (tubeless /tubed), just show the email. Not sure if that mounting price is cheaper than what you get for buying in store.
  2. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cycle gear is $25 a tire if purchased there. $50 if the tire is an external purchase. They just boosted the external purchase rate, although some stores will do it at the discounted rate still. I bought a lot of tires off Revzilla. I used to have a local shop that would do it for less but they are no longer open.
    When I had multiple bikes I used to do my own, but I don't have room nor time anymore.
  3. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those who aren't aware, Cycle Gear and RevZilla are related and usually have the same pricing (online).
  4. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard about bringing the 2019-2020 to the US or are we going to go without?
  5. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following up on this. I should have mentioned that the slim switch allows for an alternate type of mounting. On the side you will find a row of spots that indicate where it is safe to drill mounting holes, and the section that otherwise would serve to channel the tie wrap can be ground off. I mounted it the usual way on the bar secured with the tie wrap and double-sided tape between the bar and the concave surface of the housing. I gave it a little rotational test nudge that was probably greater than the force of normal use, and the tape did not hold. I then removed the failed tape, and I rotated the tie wrap so that its joint fell right on the channel exit from the switch, which conformed a little better. I took up that little slack in the tie wrap and it seemed to hold better, even without going back to using the tape. I also rotated the switch so that the buttons point to my face, much higher than the instructions suggest, and I think that this guides me to press the buttons more directly without accidentally rotating the switch. Make no mistake that I like the MC Cruise system and consider it to be money well spent, per my previous review. My only remaining negative point on this new slim switch is that I wish that the buttons felt more tactile thru gloves.
    swimmer likes this.
  6. johnpma

johnpma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous bike, think I'm ready to upgrade on a leftover from my CB500X. Can you tell me what top box you have installed. Much appreciated.
  7. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a Shad SH59X. I'm a fan.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One thing I like to keep in mind when choosing a top box is the overhang. Anything rear of the back axle is already detrimental to handling and this box sticks out a couple feet beyond that. Put anything heavy in there and you'll feel it for sure, not to mention the strain on the rack.
    chinditone likes this.
  9. johnpma

johnpma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I look closer at this bike and the available accessories, luggage is a necessity to me for my daily commute and weekend trips. I wonder what effect the large bulky rear boxes and the hard side cases have on the handling as well. Seems that wind resistance may be an issue. On my 500X I have the SW Motech soft cases which I love. I have a similar truck as well like shown above. Even though it hangs over it seems a bit more aerodynamic than a large square rear trunk. So I really wonder which would have more impact on handling......maybe it really doesn't matter either way.

Can anyone tell me why Honda stopped producing this bike?
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The rule of thumb is the further back from the rear axle, the bigger the impact on handling. It's really the weight, not the aerodynamics as the rider is breaking up the wind. With that in mind, I'd rather have a box that's taller rather than longer.

Check out the overhang on my Givi 42 Adv box. The SW-Motech rack only sticks out a couple inches more than the stock rack, and the box just bit further out from there.

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 21.23.04.png
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    No problem with handling. Keeping up in the twisties with several 1290 KTM's and a Duc Multi in my usual riding group. Givi Trekker Outback boxes. I rarely take the topbox off, it's just too convenient.

20181022_160233.jpg
  12. johnpma

johnpma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. looking at a leftover 16 that's on the floor a few states over at a very good price. Do you happen to know why they stopped building this bike? Dealer is blowing the bike out he has for $9K which is a huge price cut
  13. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What size is your top box ? I’m considering the largest one. I think it’s 58L.
  14. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda put all of it’s American marketing into the Africa Twin. I think that’s the biggest thing that killed the VFRX in the States. In Europe they are very popular and still producing them to me knowledge .
    MUDHWY likes this.
  15. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    42L on mine. That 58L is HUGE! :yikes:lol3
    Cajunhawg likes this.
  16. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Buy it if it is truly $9k OTD! Great price on a great bike.
  17. johnpma

johnpma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny how 9K can turn into 10,100
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    $10K is still a killer deal for new Crosstourer. These sold for about $17,000 new in Japan where I am.
    James Adams and Cajunhawg like this.
  19. rizzo27

rizzo27 Cheers!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So say if I'm in the market for an upright touring bike and I found a 2016 holdover vfr1200x for $6999 and put some givi trekker luggage on it would it work well for 2 up touring? I was all set to buy a lightly used fjr1300 which I've owned one in the past but I think the vfrx looks more comfortable for driver and pillion.
  20. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Ummm...so where did you say this '16 holdover (new?) is for $7K?

[​IMG]
    Dragon Rider and rizzo27 like this.