New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted. Makes me wonder if that was also @James Adams issue with his AT. ??

Can't beat Honda reliability.
  2. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite possibly. I checked the obvious battery connections and grounding straps but I hope the dealer would have checked more thoroughly.
  3. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Goldwing guys say to bring the oil to operating temperature first. Seems that not doing so may have caused mzflorida a problem.
  4. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    It is also states in the VFRX service manual to do so. @fastnlight seems to have left that out in his cut and paste.
  5. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    I copied it over from a post on another site, and don't have the service manual, so could have missed that warm up detail very easily. I have run through the steps twice so far and one of those was straight out of the garage and not warmed up significantly. I have not noticed any shiftering issues since that time which was about 4k miles ago FWIW.

Greg
  6. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WeegieBored likes this.
  7. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    I found that the DCT initialization procedure tightened the shifts noticeably. I am very impressed that Honda provided this tool-less procedure. I suppose that as the transmission wears, this should be done periodically.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  8. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    What is up with the weak Honda heated grips? I opted for them only because I wanted the display icon and heat level to appear on the display, but I have had oxfords that were three times as hot.
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    Well known/discussed issue. I do like the integration with the display though so I just live with it and add heated glove liners if I really need them.
    mountainmeterman likes this.
  10. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew they were an issue before I bought them. While I know Oxfords are better I wanted the integration. If I were up north I would have gone oxfords. I just installed grip puppies so I actually think they may improve it. sort of a distribution heat sink. But of course that's just what I tell myself.....:rofl
  11. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem is resolved completely. It was definitely the battery terminal. Thanks to everyone for providing their input! No placebo effect...shifts are noticeably tighter and smoother after the DCT initialization. Not that they were bad before.
  12. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Oxfords .........not impressed with their performance. When they are highest heat setting they are just ok.........would never consider them HOT. Rarely do I run them on less than HIGH.

Comparison.......I have the Honda grips on the NC700 three heat position settings.....often need to turn them to second setting because high is too hot. Same with ST1300 factory heated grips. Same riding conditions same riding gloves.

I am seriously thinking of trying the Honda grips for VFR1200x. One thing I have noticed on researching what’s available......some sellers are selling the old style VFR grips.

08T72-MGH-N14 appears to be the newest version........pictures on some sites do NOT match the part number or product they ship.

Both being sold as ‘16-‘17 VRF factory grips at similar prices.
    Appears the old style is really ‘16 and new style is ‘17 accessory dealer kit and is also factory installed on Canada models?
    Newer style
    View attachment 1950582
    Older style
  13. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Newer version

E0FF065F-908B-41F2-9473-D27DCF5154B7.jpeg

Older version

A04FF356-A255-4D12-8D2F-E2D10714425D.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    I have the newer version and they are anemic.
  15. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Newer style as well. I’m with adequate for the south
  16. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    #3 control unit in the new version has been changed or updated three times. The grip kit was on hold in the US when I was in the market ......that’s how I ended up with the Oxfords.

Another side bar: I have Oxfords ATV heated grips ( on an ATV) and they are truely anemic as well.
  17. mountainmeterman

Oddometer:
    Specifically, I had the Oxford Sport heated grips on a Suzuki DL1000, and my perception is that they were three times warmer than the Honda grips for the 2017 VFRX. The Oxford controller failed, after which I mounted a FirstGear heat-troller thru the dash and was very happy with that setup.
  18. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for 2016 vfr1200x manual, I just came across one in the DC area (VA) on Craigslist. Mileage: 2K Asking price $8449. Don't know the owner, but seems like a good deal (if I didn't buy mine last year I'd be all over this).
  19. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you find the VFR1200X to be in comparison to the S10 (saw in your avatar picture)?
  20. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer: