New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mountainmeterman

mountainmeterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has any DCT owner repainted the plastic DCT cover to a different color? If so, how did you prep it, and do you like the result? Although the factory finish looks exactly like the surrounding metal parts, I think of it as cheesy. I think that flat black might actually contrast nicely.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  2. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did about 400 miles of pavement yesterday, trying to get some miles on mine. Although nothing photographic to mention, it was sure great to get out and travel again. I'm still finding the VFR-1200X amazing.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    I bought these after seeing them on another owner's machine. They look great and should provide added protection in case of a tip over or slide. They are marketed for the 1200F but they fit fine on the X.

[​IMG]
  4. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying mine also. After a 20-yr absence from riding, this thing is a blast!
    Thumpercrazee and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  5. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like those covers. That will look sharp!

I normally commute and do road trips. I have recently started doing 200+ mile loops locally though. I just haven't been able to ride like normal, and I just gotta get out.
  6. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Some VFRX action captured last Sunday on that day ride. Even shows my bike laying down briefly.

Greg
    MFP, WeegieBored, Banksy and 5 others like this.
  7. Desk_Jockey

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride in a beautiful area, Greg! I need to put together a flat repair kit/pump, so your compressor caught my eye in the video. Looked like Dynaplug brand. Do you recommend it, or would you go another direction if you had to replace it?
    Flyin' Monkeys and Thumpercrazee like this.
  8. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I do recommend it, and it is the micro v2 model.
    http://www.dynaplug.com/microproinflator.html

Very compact, multiple power connection options, pressure check valve without disconnecting, and a zippered pocket inside the little case with enough space for a dyna plug kit.

I have had 6+ small compressors over the years and this one is the best so far. I even have a second pump in our UTV tool kit.

Greg
    MUDHWY and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  9. JacobH

JacobH n00b

Oddometer:

Just got my new 2017 last week and had my agent switch bikes on my Progressive policy. After reading this discussion about big pricing differences folks are seeing among carriers for the VFR1200X I sent an email to my agent asking for quotes for the same level of coverage from Safeco (who I know they represent) and any other carrier they recommend. I’ll be interested to see how this plays out in my case.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  10. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, just looked at my Geico policy and here is what I'm paying in insurance, per year. In Long Beach CA.
    2001 XR650R (plated) $80
    2008 CBR1000RR $373
    2017 VFR1200XD $269

This is comprehensive for a 64 year old male with a clean record.
    socalnative and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  11. JacobH

JacobH n00b

Oddometer:
    Kai Ju, that just reinforces my concern that Progressive is charging me over $600 per year for my 2017 VFR1200X. I’m in Connecticut, which means my full 12 month exposure on the road is less than a Southern Californian. I also have no claims or violations history. Clearly, the explanation must be that I’m two years younger than you.

Seriously, it pays to shop for this commodity.
    socalnative likes this.
  12. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jacob, I do get a multi bike discount, and I have a car with them, but couldn't tell you what that amounts to.
    Why don't you give Geico a call and get a quote. 800-841-3000, be sure to ask for motorcycle.

No, I'm not affiliated with Geico, or trying to sell insurance
  13. Desk_Jockey

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2017 VFRX in March this year, got insurance with Progressive through the link from USAA's website (I'm a USAA member, but they don't insure motorcycles). $246 annually; 58 YO male in NE FL. Have one speeding ticket in the past 2 yrs, but nothing else on record. How much of the rate difference could be related to our selections for coverage limits and deductibles? Certainly rates vary by state, but it should not be that wide a margin.
  14. JacobH

JacobH n00b

Oddometer:
    Safeco quoted an annual premium that was more than $200 less for the same coverages as my current Progressive policy. Pays to check.
    Flyin' Monkeys and Desk_Jockey like this.
  15. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Alright, I did cover another 600 miles yesterday and it was a great loop down through a section of the Oregon coast range, including 36 miles of dirt riding, the last of which put my VFRX once again on its side, this time in muddy water.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m526nK8CoKMymitg9

The Dunlop mission front tire is almost magical and I have another in my garage for my other bike because I am so impressed with its range of competence. But... the rear tire, while very good overall, needs a little lighter throttle hand in slick mud than some if the other 50/50 knob tires. It basically matches or beats them everywere else, but those conditions take a slow/purposeful approach and after a huge water crossing, then slow muddy section, I got a little spunky and started swiveling my head around and next thing I know the rear is sliding outward on sloped mud, and going wide, while the front is still planted and trying to help with recovery, then that rocky puddle intervened and the slide went full spin, The bike it that pic is facing the opposite direction of my travel, and the front/rear tire marks are visible in the road.

I am starting to think my second bike (CB500x) has got me too used to riding my way out of those situations, and now the heavy bike just seems that much more limited and intolerant of dynamic mis-calculations, which happen off road to some degree no matter how you ride. I really just need to draw more of a line between the two, and stay on each side when the conditions dictate that. Ride and learn..

A little mirror adjustment, bending of foot brake pedal, taping and epoxy for rear turn signal, and re-working of exhaust hanger plus a cleaning and the big girl is back in business this morning.

Poor thing,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iymGK78QMVNC3Kvx5

Greg
  16. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Here is the Oregon loop I did and it had lots of twisties and scenery.

southloop.JPG

The mud ride was on a very challenging road trying to connect Sappoose with the Vernonia area. Start from Scappoose and ride west up the Bacona-Pishga Home Rd, then I turn onto the Pishga Lookout Rd and good luck to you. The route starts out paved and once it turns to dirt, starts ratcheting up the challenge factor in a steady excalation of rocks and holes and water crossings until you start seriously passing car bumpers and mufflers that have been sheared from cars over time, and finally becomes muddy to a degree that was not appropriate for our big machines. Fun, but tough.

turnaround.JPG

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pE3LbkbtJed5MoS7A
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8SnmWhSZKn5xdhAH8

I will go back with the light bike and make it through.

Greg
  17. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    So glad you posted up the map, to show where you rode yesterday, because I would not have wanted us to be on the same roads, while I was out riding my '17 VFR1200X - DCT a total of 631 miles yesterday. :ricky

I almost rode past your place in Gig Harbor, but decided to take the Hwy 101 loop, all the way around the Olympic peninsula, full circle, then down Hwy 101 from Aberdeen to Westport, then to Raymond, out to Long Beach, cross the Bridge to Astoria, then back across the bridge to Washington state, over to Longview, then north back to home.

Never dropped my bike, not even once, :p3rryso you do have that over me.:zilla
  18. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    VFRX (Crosstourer) rally in EU recently. That's a lot of Viffers out riding together! :clap

[​IMG]
  19. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some Anarchist riders snuck several Africa Twin's into that gathering, along with a couple V-Stroms and at least one R12GS.

Luckily, the VFR's were the better bikes in the gathering.
    Thumpercrazee and MUDHWY like this.
  20. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Mine took me all around the very top of the ID panhandle yesterday. This is along the South side of Priest River which is about 40 miles of pristine views on nicely graveled road. One of the better days I've had in awhile.

[​IMG]