1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. WeegieBored

WeegieBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Idyllic MUDHWY
    MUDHWY and Thumpercrazee like this.
  2. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did another post on the Crosstourer forum, but haven't seen much input over there yet. So reposting here.

It's about time I start to wire a few things up (GPS, foglights, running lights and possibly heated grips). With that said, I was looking at the Eastern Beaver Kit for VFR1200 (https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VFR1200/vfr1200.html). An email was sent over the weekend if this kit would work for the VFR1200x and here's the response received,

"You would need to measure your bike and check to see that you have the same 6
    pin connector.
    Here are the kit specs:

"From pos. battery terminal to relay is 14"
    Negative batt. lead is + 6"
    Switching lead with 6pin male connector from relay is 60"
    From relay to where the PC8 sits is 4"
    Total length from Pos. batt. terminal to PC8 is 19"

Hope that helps...Dave for EB"

Do you think this will work?

My setup will include the AT in dash fog light button. Just trying to decide between the above, the accessory honda harness (vfr1200x), or just a PC8 by itself.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Hope someone has some insight. I'm potentially interested in the product as well.
  4. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the “y” splice connector and a couple of extra leads with the matching pin connectors to wire my Zumo & Virb 360. Nice stuff Eastern Beaver has. I’d opt for the PC8 which will be my next purchase for wiring
    . Also will give you more options down the road if you want to add an accessory. I’m confused though. Eastern Beaver makes a PC8 kit for the VFRX. Plug n play I believe. Why is EB responding to you to check the 6 pin connector?
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Actually, neither the F or X is called out specifically on their product page:

Bike Specific Product Pages

[​IMG]
    - CRF1000/1100 Africa Twin

- XAdv Scooter

- NC750/700
    - XR250 and XLR250 Twins
  6. slowagain

slowagain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of prices are you guys finding on 2017 VRX's? I'm seeing a fair number of then in stock at various dealers. $10,000 to $11,000.? Or can I do better? Thanks
    Thumpercrazee and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  7. JacobH

JacobH n00b

Oddometer:
    My sense is supplies of remaining new 2017 models may be diminishing, at least in some areas. My dealer had to source mine a few weeks ago from a second Honda regional warehouse because the first Honda regional warehouse no longer had any VFR1200X’s.
    Thumpercrazee and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  8. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    As most who have bought them like them, I wonder if Honda will rethink their decision about bringing them back to the US. Honda Europe still has them in their 2020 lineup.
  9. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, probably not............US motorcycle industry is in for more tough times.

Edit....US motorcycle market place is not doing all that great. There will be more dealers closing and brand consolidation.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  10. JacobH

JacobH n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay Thumpercrazee, here goes: in my perfect world Honda would bring out an updated version of the VFR1200X keeping the fantastic V4 engine, DCT and manual transmission choices, and overall appearance — but add the following:

A bit larger fuel capacity, enhance seat comfort for day long rides, add electronic cruise control, add current technology electronic ride modes, update traction control to current technology, switch lighting to current technology best night/daytime lighting, replace current light bar with beefy full coverage engine case guards similar to current after market offerings, replace dated instruments with current technology TFT instrumentation, include the center stand and heated grips rather than making them optional. A lot of owners put on quality top-loading panniers, so redesign the panniers too. Switch to one of today’s top selling sport touring or 90/10 ADV tires as the OEM tires.
  11. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe all VFR1200 whether F or X has the left from wiring loom? If you read on the splitter it references it. I don’t know, I’ve never messed with an F model at all.
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    THAT would be the only bike I would sell my current X for. Even then, maybe not, since I have $2k in suspension upgrades on mine and she rides like a Caddy!
  15. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think Honda would have a really hard time getting the V4 to meet euro5 regs..
    olie, Thumpercrazee and JacobH like this.
  16. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    While being great bike........The VFR1200x did not sell well at it Original price point. So it did NOT make money for Honda.
    Bringing it back 4 years later in stressed market place .........would not change the profit or losses.

We have hashed and rehashed this dozens of time..........VRF will join a long list of Honda models that did not do well in the US Market place. Sold on close out pricing made them slightly more popular. Carry over models are real money losses. Maybe the best comparison is the Transalp which was imported in the US for 2 years 1989/1990. The Transalp sold in other countries for 20 plus years.

Upgrades, more content, new version.......would only make the numbers worse for sales in the US unless the price point was dropped. Dropping the price in the US is NOT going to happen. The manufacturers world wide are doing some “major belt tightening” to control costs.
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    JacobH and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  18. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:

Sad but I suspect very true. Making money is the basis of the business. Altho I am not knowledgable about Euro5 regs, I also heard that it would be tough to get the motor through the new specs.
  19. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
  20. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm finally getting around to bleeding my brakes/clutch (2016 with roughly 8K). The shop manual seems straightforward enough, but having an issue removing the right silver plastic piece over rear brake fluid reservoir. As far as I can tell, I've remove all the push pins (top/bottom) and bolts. The front pulled out pretty easily once the bottom clip was released, however the middle and rear seem to be stuck. Is there a push pin or clip/holder someplace that is being missed? I've taken off the front left cowl recently and that was actually an easier process (go figure). Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

I was able to figure this out on Wednesday by accident while trying to reinstall (was my ride for the following day). There are small plastic clips (on underside) that help hold the silver plastic piece in place. The trick is pull the whole piece up thus freeing it from the clip and grab rail hole handle. Hopefully this helps someone else.
    socalnative likes this.