New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Got another 300 miles in today continuing my dirt road explorations counterclockwise around the Olympic Mountains. The big bike did well and I really do think those Dunlop Trailmax Missions are perfect for the bike (if you ride dirt). At about 4k miles on them now, and I will plan to just run the same thing from now on.

Next to lake Crescent
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/etxLmZJNijAJFCXM9

Of Sore Thumb Peak (bit of cloud snuck in)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TkB6hdFUEqfQKeVZ9

From the peak
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/1rkXNmBhLMFxKbqS6

Greg
  2. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it the general consensus that the MC Cruise out of Australia is about the best electronic cruise control we can install on these VFR1200X bikes?

I have sold my '17 VFR1200X - DCT, and the buyer (whom I know) wants me to install an electronic cruise control on it. That is not a problem for me, and I will read over all the ideas/suggestions/tips of those that have installed one before me, just checking before I order one....does the group agree that the MC Cruise is about the best we can buy for this bike?
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There are only two choices, right? The McCruise and the Veefour?

Ihhad the Veefour on my VFR1200F and I have the McCruise on my '18 AT. They both work really well. Hard to compare installation time on different bikes (the VFR1200 is less tightly packaged) but I'd bet install time is fairly similar. No soldering on McCruise kit and I had to do some soldering on the Veefour kit but that wasn't a big deal. Veefour is cheaper I think. Instructions are better on the McCruise (but not too complicated with the Veefour so not critical) and the customer support is exceptional.

Not sure if the current generation Veefour still has a memory (not just resume) function which was pretty nice if you routinely ride on the same open roads, like hopping on the highway every day for commuting.
    JacobH and Thumpercrazee like this.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    mzflorida, Thumpercrazee and JacobH like this.
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How is the rear wearing so far? Front looks to be in very good condition in that photo.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  6. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 3 day camping trip (1200 miles) on some of the twistiest roads in the country in temps from 90 to 105 degrees and the Mission tires once again did great. (we were running 2.5 sets of them on this trip) My rear on the VFRX is at 5100 miles of wear and is down to 5mm in the center from a total of 8mm at the edges.

looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M7eTx5W4P5kNUYMY9

riding for 3 days : https://photos.app.goo.gl/vKWKDRyJmGDZxmBC7

I think this tire will last me 8000+ miles before I start wanting a bit more tread back in the center section for dirt power/braking. And for folks who run tires closer to smooth at the center, it should last 10k + without much trouble.

The front developed a bit of scalloping on the edge blocks during this trip, but the heat and riding was brutal over those miles and it still feels great, so I have no problem with that. Wonderful set of rubber!

Greg
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Check out the big girl generally intimidating the morning rush of bikes in Spray Or, with my light bike at far left showing its dusty rear end evidence of our non-paved detours.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kHApvefBhZqLngPR6

I did notice again on this trip that bike people do stand around and stare at the VFRX quite a bit. They are simply not sure what to make of it, but are generally impressed by its presence.

Greg
  8. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've shared it on the Crosstourer forum , but I figured you peops deserve to know it too.

After 10 months of complaining I finally got my throttle issue resolved.

I've tried all the house remedies: grip puppies, Nyogel etc.
    It got better, but still sucked. My Honda dealer said that there was nothing wrong with it.

As my warranty was going to expire soon, I decided to go to another dealer for one last try.

It's FIXED!

They "Reinitialized ECM" and adjusted "input cables" (I guess throttle cables).

They told me that my dealer didn't set up the bike properly. There's a specific procedure you have to follow when you start the bike after you put it together. You are supposed to start it and not touch the throttle. This is when the ECM is being initialized.

So go to a good dealer and let them fix your bike for good. I love how it responds now! This is what I was expecting when I bought the bike. It's finally living up to my expectations.
    Kidder likes this.
  9. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:

I bought the Honda accessory harness and hooked up LED lights and a Zumo. I have one more plug left, so I can do heated grips. Easy installation. On when the bike is on, so no risk of draining the battery.
  10. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if yours is a DCT, but if it is, have them initialize the clutch as well.
    I did it to mine a couple of days after I picked it up used from a dealer because throttle response was garbage in terms of how the clutch engaged.
    It would not engage smoothly, instead the rpm would climb and then it would slam into gear, as if dumping the clutch. It made lane splitting around town an absolute nightmare, especially with a passenger. Made me look like a noob.
    Once I initialized the clutch it allowed me to take off as smoothly as if I had a well operated and adjusted manual clutch.
  11. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Timely.
    I enjoyed that.
    Moto n' Joy likes this.
  13. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it!
    vfrmike likes this.
  14. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if "Reinitializing the ECM" is something an owner could do themselves?

Thank you for the information. I'm going to order the Honda accessory harness and while have the tank removed it maybe a good time to check/replace the air filter and possibly replace spark plugs (~8k on the bike).
    mzflorida likes this.
  15. zphenyl

zphenyl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good review. Always nice to see someone else giving the Crosstourer some love.
    Moto n' Joy likes this.
  16. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to own a Crosstourer, bought it new in 2013.
    Agree with all the review above. It was a great bike although for my main use (city commuting in London), it was too heavy and bulky.
    For long distance touring it would be ideal. And that engine is a superb bit of engineering!
    Moto n' Joy likes this.
  17. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! There are not many Crosstourer's fans here in Greece, but I like it a lot!
  18. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with you. It's not made for commuting.
  19. Broken&Lost

Broken&Lost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good, honest review and enjoyed the video too. I was seriously tempted by the Crosstourer, loved the engine and riding position but the suspension was the big let down. It was very basic, more so than the Varadero I’d previously owned. The gearbox is typically Honda feeling clunky in lower gears but it’s not the worst, ride a BMW to experience worse.
    In the end I bought a KTM Adventure but wouldn’t rule out getting on a Crosstourer again when the time comes to change.
  20. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I've never ridden a BMW in my life, seriously they have a clunkier gearbox?!