New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice balanced review; I just watched it over on the Crosstourer site before stumbling onto this post. I think I got lucky with the sensitive throttle issue, mine doesn't seem that bad but I see a lot of owners listing it as a problem. The biggest problem with mine is that I can't ride it often enough.
    Thumpercrazee and Moto n' Joy like this.
  2. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :-) I guess you are a lucky (no throttle issue) - unlucky (not enough riding) man! This is a big problem for me as well and it has to do with the coronavirus fear of course.
    socalnative and Thumpercrazee like this.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Soft ECM reset - Snatchy throttle adjustments:

I read elsewhere that this is the process. Apparently it can help with the snatchy throttle, poor idle conditions and other minor running problems that may arise after servicing the bike or adding electrical accessories. It's also been said that most dealers fail to do this prior to delivery.

Remove ALL slack from throttle cables. The adjustment nut is on the cable casing up by the handlebar. You want to tighten the throttle until there is zero slack but not so tight that it increases the idle. Then, start the bike from bone cold. Let idle until cooling fans cycle on and off. Turn off with key. Touch nothing during this process, especially throttle. If you touch the throttle during the reset it will fail. Once fans cycle off turn off with key. Soft reset complete.

For DCT owners the other procedure that has been well documented (here and elsewhere) is the DCT Reset (officially termed as the "Clutch Initialize Learning" in the Honda service manuals:

1. Start the engine and bring up to operating temp.
    2. Select N.
    3. Stop the engine.
    4. While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow 'engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D.
    5. Press in fast sequence: DDNDN.
    6. On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together.
    7. Restart engine, allow it to idle.
  4. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't need to remove the tank to install the accessory harness. Just the left side panel (4 push pins and 2 bolts).
    I wouldn't worry about the plugs at this mileage.
    socalnative likes this.
  5. lazos 990

lazos 990 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Πολυ ωραιο βιντεο!!!!
  6. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ!! Είναι μια πολύ ωραία μηχανή άλλωστε!!
    lazos 990 likes this.
  7. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's all Greek to me...
    socalnative and Desk_Jockey like this.
  8. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you click the CC button (English subs)
    Kai Ju likes this.
  9. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto n' Joy, you're spot on with your review and analysis, in my opinion. Thank you, and great video!
    HLC
    Thumpercrazee and Moto n' Joy like this.
  10. Moto n' Joy

Moto n' Joy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am really glad you liked my video, thanks!
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make a flash to sort out the fueling issues Moto describes? The crap stock fueling is an easy fix on the S10 via a flash.
    socalnative and Thumpercrazee like this.
  12. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    In NA it's Guhl. Not necessary IMO.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, Guhl does not flash the X. I did have my F ecu flashed by him.
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    He does...I spoke with him at one point when considering.
    Thumpercrazee and swimmer like this.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I think all modern bikes can benefit from a flash considering that they are tuned to meet very strict emissions requirements and $275 is a bargain if you plan to keep the bike for a while.

I'd like to try a manual CT.
  16. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Dug up the original email Don sent back to an inquiry I made about the bike. Bold print is mine to illustrate that the cost is 375 instead of the aforementioned 275:

The standard 2010-17 VFR1200's (standard transmission and automatic transmission models) derestriction includes:
    Removing the top speed limiter
    Derestricting the throttle-by-wire for full power in all gears (US models are restricted in 1st, 2nd, and 6th gears. Euro models are restricted in 1st,2nd,3rd and 6th gears)
    Installing a custom ignition map for full power in all gears
    Lowering fan operating temp for more efficient operation

Options include:
    Raising the rev limit. We are not an engine builder, so we are not able to offer rev limiter advice. I can tell you that most people do raise the rev limit 500 rpm. Speak to an engine builder for advice.
    Disable the exhaust servo motor so it can be removed without any FI error codes.

We also offer various fuel tunes, including a tune for the stock exhaust, so that a power commander may not be required.

The cost is $375 and that includes standard overnight return shipping to the continental US. International shipping is available at additional cost and the customer is to pay all duties/taxes.

The in-house turnaround time is normally 1-3 days.

To get this done, box up your ECU with a note with your name, phone number, return shipping address, and email.
    Ship it to:
    102 S. State St.
    Ephrata, PA 17522

We will give you a call to discuss how you want your ECU flashed and get your payment information. We accept Visa, M/C, or Discover. You can also send a money order along with the ECU, if you wish.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Thanks,
    Don Guhl
    Guhl Motors
    717-618-4212
    www.guhlmotors.com
    Plane Dr likes this.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my mistake on the 275, should've been 375. Still not a bad price considering what a quality slip-on muffler costs with little to no improvement

The content sounds very similar to what my flash consisted of and it added a huge boost in performance and made the bike much smoother as well. I got the flash from Chris Steedman in the UK, who spent five hours on the dyno developing it and charged me 200 quid. He emailed it to a shop near me, who did the upload. Given that he's in the UK, he may well have a Crosstourer flash. http://www.cjsracing.co.uk/
  18. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you share part numbers of what you ordered ?
  19. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reached out several times and could never get any of that information. Good to know, and now given that info definitely a consideration.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    None of his reply identifies the flash as for the X and as he states the model years from 2010 (first year for the F), I still question whether or not he has done a flash for an X ECU. His website only states tunes for F models. Considering the different state of tune the X and F are in I am skeptical the same flash would work but I am open to being corrected on this. Does the X have an exhaust servo? I guess if I were considering sending an X ECU to him, I'd want a response the clearly states the flash applies to an X model. He had people bring in their F models so he could create a flash off the dyno, has anyone provided him with an X to do the same?