New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    While not specifically indicated in the email I posted I did speak directory with a staff member at Guhl about the X around the same time and he said they could do the flash for the bike correctly.
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I've owned 6 of them and yes, their gear boxes are clunky compared to others and I experienced a complete failure of the internal shifter mechanism on my 1200GS on my Alaska trip that ended my dream adventure. I came home, fixed that bike, sold it and bought....

..... A Honda VFR1200X

I've put 10k miles on the bike and love it so much more than the GS's I have owned in the past.

3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Go back to the '80s and reviews are always talking about the new "improved" gear box yet it remained clunky. I never understood why it was so hard for BMW to make them shift better. The clunky shifting was a big reason why I sold my 1100GS, great bike otherwise.
    Moto n' Joy likes this.
  4. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
  5. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago, I posted a pic of my bike looking very sad on it's side in a muddy water hole on the road that was too much for me that wet day, outside of Scappoose Oregon. I returned and completed the road this weekend on my lighter bike, and have to say that stretch is truely a test of rider and machine. I would encourage any of you who want to know where you stand as a dirt road warrior, to ride this simple looking 7 mile section, and let us know how it treats you. Very fun, and such a variety of surfaces, and ridden a bit slower, the VFRX could have made it on that fateful damp day. I would honestly say, if you and your bike can ride this stretch without incident, even in dry weather, you are likely ready for a BDR type route, and the variables it will throw your way.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/77CBx6UxstzA2HNi6

Greg
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  6. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:

I haven't on the vfr but painting plastics today is easy. I think that would look great. I'm considering painting the VFR to the pearl Stallion brown gold wing color and will paint engine plastics matte black. are you asking how to spray it? I can help if so. A couple of hour job with a gun. New paints and primers are excellent.
  7. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party

Oddometer:
    How about a wrap?
  8. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrapping is hard. It wouldnt take abuse from any kind of rubbing for long before it tears. I wrapped mine 40C69C5A-258F-4081-A455-AC6ABC17A1E5.jpeg
  9. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party

Oddometer:
    Is this V4 feel as smooth as the ST’s are?
  10. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Ok.... I just pulled off the Motoz tires.... They lasted 7,186 miles.

If they hadn't developed little cracks around the knobs... I could have gotten another 2k miles out of them. But we are headed out on a 2-up, 3 day ride, loaded up and I didn't like the looks of the tires with the little cracks, so the new sneakers went on. I have been a Motoz fan for a while and this is the very first time they have developed cracks, but the VFRX is a heavy bike and we ride 2-up a lot.

I went with the Michelin Commander II (160/70-17) on the rear and the Michelin Road 5 Trail.

I have put 75 miles on them since mounting and the tires are much better in the corners and smoother in the straights. The 160 rear fits just fine and looks correct on the rim and according to Michelin, our rim width is just fine, within spec.

To scrub them in, I did run a 3 mile bit of sandy, dirt road and they were surprisingly planted. I expected to be all over the place, but that wasn't the case.

Harley riders have reported 10k miles on the Commander II, so I have high expectations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cruz, Kai Ju and MUDHWY like this.
  11. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At around 15k miles on mich commander 2 on back of Super Tenere, they go the distance.
    Thumpercrazee and Big_John like this.
  12. Big_John

Oddometer:

Put 320 miles on the bike yesterday, loaded, 2-up.... and the darn nipples are still on the front and rear tire and the end of the day. Good to hear you have over 15k miles on yours and believe it.

And WOW!!!! A huge chunk of our riding was through mountain twisties and the bike ran super smooth and stuck like glue to the tarmac. I had much more confidence leaning hard, as opposed to the Motoz that were on the bike. Darn good thing the Cops were no where to be seen over Rabbit Ears pass, cause they probably would have thrown me in jail.

The pic of BrownEyedSuzzane below is at Clinton Gulch Dam Reservoir......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks great. Any details on the process of wrapping your bike?
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    I'm considering moving up from a Zumo 665 to the newer XT model https://tinyurl.com/y38osj8e and wondering if anyone has mounted one on their VFRX? I currently have my 665 mounted above the bike's display, on the dash, and want to keep the new unit there. I am not interested in a RAM handlebar solution. What are owners using?

This is my current mount from enigmoto. I'm not sure these are even made anymore. Will the XT mount fit on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cajunhawg, Thumpercrazee and Banksy like this.
  15. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:

I'm seeing a number of them around $9900. Never had an interest before..... but at that price I'm now doing a lot of research on the bike.

16. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 with like 11K miles all farkled out in the flea market. Make a real offer.....
    Glenn Tom and Thumpercrazee like this.
  17. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll love it. I'm injured and had some surgery so I cannot ride right now and it is driving me crazy. The bike is just awesome. Like any bike, it has flaws but they are easy fixes and up to individual preferences and riding style. Cannot go wrong.
  18. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BRK - That's pretty much where I was back in March. Was narrowing down my list of late-model used bike candidates in a similar price range, but opted instead for a new 2017 VfrX. I'm quite satisfied with my choice. Be aware that availability of accessories is somewhat limited and will not improve with time.

Well stated. Hope that your recovery is going well and you're back on the bike soon. At least you won't have to wait for snow to melt once you're healed up!
  19. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Crickets. Guess no one here has tried that newer Zumo XT on their Crosstourer. :dunno

Sure looks like a nice update from older models.
  20. Cajunhawg

Cajunhawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the 595lm in late 2018. Price dropped so figured a newer model was coming. Wishing I had waited. 595 is a bit glitchy. Could be the interface with my old Sena SMH 10’s. Will know when I receive the Sena 50s I ordered today once I’ve updated the firmware .