New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see several threads on the XT elsewhere on the board. I agree - looks like a big upgrade from my 396.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  2. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    I'm currently using a 665 pretty happily but will get the XT since it appears to be much improved.
    Thumpercrazee and Cajunhawg like this.
  3. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a great rate with all Allstate. 400 PY, inclusive of my VFR and my wife's CTX, can't drop me or raise my rates due to a claim. Tags on to my auto though, so big discount I am sure.
  4. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone a good setting formula for fork adjustment? I am still running factory settings and they seem very harsh. As I have just over 2300 miles on mine I would think that they would have settled in.
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    The forks are very underwhelming in general unless you are 170lbs or less. That's what the bike is sprung for out of the crate. If you are, then some guys swear by "Veejay's settings" from the Euro CT forum. They may be worth a try since they cost you nothing. I had to replace/revalve my front and rear shock ($2K USD) to get the results I wanted.

Veejay's settings:

Front suspension - over sprung and under damped.

Solution, back pre-load off to the stop (14mm black nut) and wind rebound damping up to max then back off 2 clicks (according to VeeJay increasing rebound damping does not make the suspension harder - it merely slows the recoil of the spring.)

Rear Suspension - under sprung and under damped.

Solution Wind Pre-load adjuster to max and back off 5 clicks (solo) or 3 clicks (pillion + luggage).

Rebound damping 3/4 of a turn counterclockwise from fully clockwise.
  6. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much.
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Just a FYI for you regulars plus any folks looking for a VFRX of their own.

I placed an order for a little trail 125 cub and need to free up a slot in the garage, and you know what that means. Something has to go, and I am ready for a new phase of exploration. (keeping my 500x of course)

My time with the mighty 1200 is coming slowly to a close, and it has been a fantastic few years, and I will miss the bike for those long day rides. But over the last 4.5 years, I still have not found another soul in the area who wants to ride that way with me more than once, but I have friends flocking to the little Trail Cub like you know what.

I have the title in hand and 24,600 on the ODO. This unit is treated more like a tool than a show piece, and has been dropped on both sides more than once. (low speed in the dirt of course, I'm not a kid anymore). It is not terribly clean, does have some scrapes and scratched parts, but has also been cared for mechanically and features fresh fluids and lithium battery. I don't really know what its worth, but not as much as the recent sales of super clean low mileage machines. But maybe a bit more than the recent rebuilt unit that sold. I will post more of a full ad soon, but this is fair warning for you potential side car builders or others who may have ideas up their sleeve.

Pic from a couple weeks back, of the more scratched side, https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wvn9krAYfyHAs1FU8

Greg
  8. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Will be sorry to see you go, Greg. GLWS!
  9. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Front suspension, in my opinion, on the VFR1200X is barely acceptable. It can feel unsettled and unsafe but it isn't. Went with hyperpro springs and it was really improved but not what I was looking for. Tried Veejay settings without any luck...more of a racing feel. Switching to Traxxion dynamics some day.
  10. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have set mine to Veejay settings and will be testing them soon. In riding just a short distance after making this adjustment, the front forks felt much better. However, a longer ride will provide the real proof.
    Thanks for your response though. I appreciate the info.
  11. mzflorida

mzflorida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Hope it works for you. Suspensions are pricey to upgrade. Do you see what I mean about racing ergos with those settings? Kind of puts the front end down. Anyhow let us know!
  12. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Figure a grand a piece for the forks and rear shock. I'm very happy with my suspension now (Traxxion front and Tractive rear) but my bank account isn't.
  13. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just returned from 375 mile ride. Boring south GA roads with few if any curves. However the roads were bumpy ,potholed, and not well taken care of so the suspension got a workout. It's definitely better than stock settings but leaves a bit to desire. It's unfortunate that Honda just failed to finish what could be a great all around bike. I still like it but wish they would have attended to finishing the CT. With bringing out the African Twin at the same time as the CT, neither bike was really done well. Just my opinion tho...... Gotta love that V4 engine tho!
    WeegieBored, Desk_Jockey and MUDHWY like this.
  14. Desk_Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thumper, where are you located? I'm in extreme NE FL, and often ride the poorly maintained south GA roads to avoid the Jacksonville traffic.
  15. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Brunswick.
    Desk_Jockey likes this.
  16. Desk_Jockey

Oddometer:
    I'm just outside of Fernandina. Will keep my eyes open for another bike like mine on those back roads.
  17. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    So will I:-)
  18. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
  19. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joined the club. Been wanting this v4 for a long time. Holy torque!
    I have a hepco and becker 55 that i want to mount. Anyone know of an adapter?

Attached Files:

Thumpercrazee and MUDHWY like this.
  20. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rear rack is the same as 1st gen Africa twin 1000s if that helps
    ssregal39 likes this.