New Honda Cross Cub 125 for US Seems More & More Likely Now

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Dav101, Mar 7, 2019.

1. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Notice that 2020 Cross Cub 125 has a front drum brake! yuck. that is primitive.
    It really needs a front disc brake.
    pmillar likes this.
  2. bobbagum

bobbagum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It can't go to Europe without ABS, what about the US? does that mean front disc? The picture in the Japanese mag is just a mockup/photoshop obviously

But out here in developing 3rd world country, people without proper training only use the rear brake, for fear of going over the handle bar in a stoppie should they lock up the front, damn near impossible on a 110cc cub, but what do they know? anyway once the rear brakes has worn out, instead of replacing the pads, they would swap it with the fresh drums from the front, meaning they don't need to buy pads for double the mileage, saving them a visit to the mechanic. Plus drums are better when the bike is loaded up anyway
  3. hogmaine

hogmaine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk Justa waiten' for the news
    IndigoSwann likes this.
  4. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I'm thinking too - plus throw in a few little mini camping trips and we're cooking on gas!
  5. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of surprised we have not heard anything!

We have not seen an update for the 2020 Honda Super Cub yet either :hmmmmm

Honda might be debating on what direction to go? This could take a while :augie
  6. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the Cross Cub is just a cosmetically restyled Supercub, it wouldn't do me any good. The load capacity of the Supercub is well below my weight. That is probably true for the old Ct90 and CT110 as well, but there are almost certainly built stronger than the new stuff.
  7. IndigoSwann

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Cross Cub model that came out in Japan last year is a 110cc - I think at most in the US we would see a 125cc version that used the same motor in the Grom, Monkey & Super Cub. Doubt we would see anything different sadly
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
    110cc would still work fine, but it would have to be able to carry 240+ pounds. All I want to do is piddle around on dirt roads. I even considered the Grom and Z125, but they have a 32" seat height, same as my former XT225. Once on it, I was ok, after the suspension sagged a bit I could flat foot it. I just couldn't get my leg over the seat. I can't even completely flatfoot my Vespa GT200. But it is super easy to get on, because it is a step through. The rest of the world has underbone motorcycles. We have the Super Cub, and that's it. It is not rated for my weight, and costs way too much to take off road.
  9. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jerry - if the cross cub doesn't become reality, go find a CT90/110 and drop a lifan 125cc engine into it. Problem solved with no electronic trickeration. :1drink
    iatethepeach likes this.
  10. JerryH

Oddometer:
    That's a very good Idea and one I've been considering.
  11. IndigoSwann

Oddometer:
    How hard would that be?
  12. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it but it has been done. If you search on ct90 forums (it's been a while) you can find people who have done it and provided some instructions. My recollection is you need to convert from 6V to 12V (maybe it's should, not have to?) and that the engine mounting bolts required an adapter plate. But please, don't take my fuzzy memories as gospel and search it out if you're interested.
    iatethepeach likes this.
  13. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get the drum brakes on anything C110 or 125 or any bike built currently . Some Bicycles have disc brakes. cms
  14. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drum brakes on something that size would be OK with me, if it kept the price down.
    They stop my CT110 fine.
    As far as weight limits, after running around Vintage mc days this weekend, I saw some REALLY big people on some REALLY small bikes.
    iatethepeach likes this.
  15. IndigoSwann

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Honda Japan site the MSRP of a Super Cub is 399,600 Yen or about $3,668 USD which is nearly on the money for the MSRP of $3,599 here. The Cross Cub is listed at 334,800 Yen - which would put the US MSRP at about $3,000 - now that, I think we all agree would be awesome. IF it makes it over here.
    Moat, wanna bECO and mbabc like this.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get the drum on the rear of any small bike. Pads last forever! But up front I demand a disc.
  17. IndigoSwann

Oddometer:
    Anybody spy any news on this? I keep looking but nothing new.
    mbabc likes this.
  18. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Symba has drum brakes and they were fine. Very strong actually. Had no complaints about them. Worked just as well as any disc brake I had on any bike. The problem with most drum on most bikes is that they are too small. The Symba drums were big mechanical drums.

The mechanical drum brakes were great. Very strong and controlled. Really surprised me. They were very big for the size bike. I have seen much larger bikes with the same size drum brakes...this the main reason whey drum brakes get a bad rap. Disc would perform poorly too if they were undersize.
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I think it died for now. Always may pop up at some point again in the future. Also Honda can be really slow so it might still be happening but a few years from now. This is all based on nothing but I am sure if it was happening we would have more information by now. I do hope we see it at some point!
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we will see it running around Indonesia or the Philippines long before we get it here.