New Honda Cross Cub 125 for US Seems More & More Likely Now

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Dav101, Mar 7, 2019.

1. hondacubber

hondacubber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. TisButAScratch

TisButAScratch n00b

Oddometer:
    Brazilian bikes are not subject to USDOT regulation. Huge cost difference. USDOT requires a lot more stringent testing and quality control of regulated parts. This drives up costs.
    Also, upgrading bikes to meet USDOT that are already in production for import to other countries and the rest of the world also costs a fortune in design and approvals...to meet DOT regs. That is why often things like blinkers and tailights are borrowed from other models of bikes that are already USDOT approved.
  3. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:

OMG...I want that!

I don't know about better but it certainly has more mass appeal I would think!

Honda is announcing a new bike for the US market in a few days. Could it be a Cross Cub for 2020 or 2021?
    Motonirvana likes this.
  4. bobbagum

bobbagum Been here awhile

Oddometer:

snorkel looks nice
    yak50, Dav101, travellin and 2 others like this.
  5. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nonsense. The overall costs of such compliance is paltry in the whole scheme of things - otherwise there'd be no existence of the almost unbelievably inexpensive Chinese online-sale scoots/motorcycles... all of which have to comply with the very same DOT regulations. They're all here, by the boatload... yet the Pop isn't.

Bob
  6. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it! Disc brakes, centerstand and sidestand. Electric start (only :hmmmmm), LED lighting all around. And the old-style chromed downtubes/bash plate. :clap With "Trail Hunter" boldly stamped into the rear rack - and an EPA-friendly cat on the header pipe - seems as likely as ever to be heading to some English-speaking country(ies)...

I could do without the ABS, rear disc, and would prefer a manual clutch to the semi-auto, but otherwise... :raabia

Bob
    Motonirvana likes this.
  7. Brunow - 007

Brunow - 007 Bantam Fever

Oddometer:
    Let's hope they make it for the EU/usa market
    mbabc and Motonirvana like this.
  8. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People pay serious money for a Recluse auto clutch, which helps when riding terrain. Here it comes standard.
    The ABS fuse can be unplugged for terrain riding, but out on the street, you'll want the best brakes you can get on a low(no)-powered bike, because you always avoid braking at all cost, because it takes forever to get up to speed again.
  9. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The right side crankcase cover looks slightly different and sticks out a bit more. It could be purely cosmetic but it could be something else as well? Some of the Trail 90's from the back the day had a low and high gear for that extra grunt when needed. Maybe this new version has something like that? I kind of doubt it as manufactures are not that clever and tend to avoid things that would up the cost then again maybe it does!
  10. travellin

travellin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Jensen at Asphalt & Rubber:

Honda CT125 Concept Set to Debut in Tokyo
    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-ct125-concept/

"As of right now, the Honda CT125 concept is, well, a concept. However bikes that debut at the Tokyo Motor Show have a funny way of becoming production machines.

This was the case with the Honda Monkey, Honda CB1000R, and Honda CBR250RR. As such, we would expect the Honda CT125 to become a production model within the next model year or two."
  11. bobbagum

bobbagum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is the same 125 engine in a less retro/premium model
    [​IMG]
    in the c125 and monkey the three bolts just hold a chrome ring for cosmetic purpose
    looks to be some 'rugged' looking plastic in the CT instead
  12. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
  13. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's easy. There are conversion kits available. The main thing is the adapter for the foot peg mount.
  14. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang I love the thought, & think it'd be awesome on the WABDR. Wonder if you can mod the motor, keeping it reliable and get those up to a solid 70mph?
  15. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did part of the WABDR on a CT110, from around Carson to around Chelan where we were stopped by fires. It was a lot of fun. There was some sort of dual sport rally around Plain that year with groups of KTMs and BMWs blasting down the trails, personally I'm not interested in that. I'm hoping to do it again on a CT, and Magruder and the Lolo motorway.
  16. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    I contemplate swapping the burger for a Super Cub and doing that sort of thing, but the high pipe would be a serious benefit on that type of road...and also everytime I think of swapping out the burgman I get on it twist the throttle and I wonder what i was possibly thinking...

pnw likes this.
  17. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks extraordinarily better than the picture in the email I saw back on March 6th polling Honda Dealers about the CT125.

I hope it makes it to the US soon and I hope it's not a boogered down version we get with street only tires, no racks, or center stand. If we get what we're seeing in the video and recent pics as a standard model I'll take mine in red. I'll even take it in yellow.

I had high hopes for a cub model without the knee skirt and this is it!
  18. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

I logged on to see if we had anything new and on the news pages of the forums was: https://advrider.com/honda-is-introducing-a-ct125-concept-bike/

So it looks like Honda will hopefully be releasing a new postie bike using the same 125 as the MSX125, Monkey and Super Cub. We may just get one yet! :D I've already contacted my local Honda dealer in the US to put my name down if they get here. Fingers crossed!
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone I have told and shown this new Honda Concept bike was crazy excited and even some excitement from people are not into motorcycles. It seems just about every household back in the day had at least one Trail 90 like bike in the garage and have fond memories of the experience.

This might be a bit BOLD for crazy busy 2019 but a modern Cross Cub 125 might just be what the industry needs for a resurrection. I think the new Super Cub 125 provided a small taste of the resurrection but was unfortunately the excitement has been mostly killed off by lack of availability. Hopefully Honda gets the memo and brings a lot of these in or at least enough to satisfy the market and it needs to be affordable enough to people won't doubt the purchase. I think in 2019 dollars that is 3K to 3.5K max. Anything over 4K will be a disaster I think and I am talking OTD pricing!
    Motonirvana and IndigoSwann like this.
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is not going to resurrect the industry. Most of the people getting excited about it are motorcycle riders. Most non-riders will be no more excited or motivated to ride from this than they would be to clean because they got a new dish sponge.
    TisButAScratch likes this.