New Honda Cross Cub 125 for US Seems More & More Likely Now

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Dav101, Mar 7, 2019.

1. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is probably right but, many will be sold. If there is an RV out there with an old one, they will probably upgrade/replace. Also, if someone wanted an offroad bike but did not want an ATV, this could be their solution. I can think of a few scenarios where this bike would sell.
  2. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think its going to be a hit unless Honda over charges for it and does not bring enough in. Both of these scenarios unfortunately are likely. Like I said it was BOLD saying it would resurrect the industry but if any bike is going to it off its probably this one.

Modern day pricing is tough to nail down? Many will shy away just because its not under a grand like the original ones. However adjusting for inflation you are probably looking at about 3K minimum. I don't think it will be much over 3.5K but the dealers will do a good job of killing off the remainder of the new prospects. When your typical consumer looks at the price and its 3.5K and then the dealer dreams up 4.5K or worse it will turn some off. A bike like likely has a fairly narrow breaking point on what dealers will be able to get away with. At least most got the memo with the Super Cub 125 and freight and set up was not insane but I refuse to call any freight and setup fee reasonable. I really believe this is a cost that is the cost of doing business on the dealer. Maybe $100 to pay the local hub for assembly and local delivery!
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt it will sell. I’m one of those RV’ers, and even with three scooters in the garage I’d like to have one of these. But there are lots of differences between now and when the last ones were sold. Among them are the fact that there are a lot of hitch carrier capable scooters out there today that perform better than this bike will. Also, traffic is so much faster and dense today many will not be as willing to ride these non-interstate, barely 55 mph secondary road capable bikes around as they once were.

I do think this would have the potential to outsell the cub, monkey, etc., but I do not think it will be a financial windfall for Honda - and especially not the dealers.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sign me up!
    [​IMG]
    No fob, please....
  5. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh... that dang FOB!
  6. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a Cross Cub in person today at the morning market in Hachinohe. Seriously badass, if it makes it to the states I'll have one.

P9280010.jpg
  7. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuck! I want it.
    IndigoSwann, Motonirvana and scottdc like this.
  8. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at listed MSRP on Honda Japan it looks like the Yen nearly correlates with USD MSRP Prices. Honda Monkey is listed at 407K Yen or $4K USD, the Grom is 3.47K & $3,599. The Cross Cub 105cc is listed at 3.41K Yen - so I imagine the CT125 could list around the $4,000 mark.
    scottdc likes this.
  9. TisButAScratch

TisButAScratch n00b

Oddometer:
    Fair point.
    However, the Chinese aren't redesigning classic bikes, nor retrofitting manufactured designs to accommodate regulations.
    Furthermore, Honda has little if any reason to even import the bike to the US at all. The US is an insignificant market for motorcycles to Honda's global dominance.....much less this contraption and it's market.
    I suspect Honda only imported them to add a skosh of global-panache to the bike's image. Having an embarrassing foothold in the US market does not look good on paper.
    "Toss a couple thousand a year to the US...hopefully the foreign-nationalists will be impressed and buy one when they get home." Lol!
  10. TisButAScratch

TisButAScratch n00b

Oddometer:
    Face it. The Super Cub became what it is because it was unique and stood alone in the market.
    That's no longer the case. There are literally DOZENS of machines that fill this space today, with superior and more advanced...EVERYTHING.
    For that matter, there are dozens of models offering cheap transport for 400 to 600 dollars brand new in the US.
    You could get online right this second and buy 5 or 6 cheap Chinese scooters for the same cost as one Super Cub.
    (No, I don't recommend buying a cheap scooter...it was just an example of how many choices people have nowdays._

https://www.google.com/search?q=che...d=0ahUKEwjg0dXq8vzkAhVSlKwKHf5QA6EQuw0IiQUoAg
  11. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would never buy the cheap Chinese stuff. Have watched it break down too many times. Have yet to see a reliable one.
    TisButAScratch likes this.
  12. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2021-honda-ct125-concept-motorcycle-ct-125#.XaN3PjBVzok.link

As mentioned in the link:

"Honda has already asked for dealers’s opinions here in the USA on bringing this model to production as well."

I knew I wasn't imagining this! :knary

CT125.jpg

I like the disc brakes but noticing the "ABS" sticker on the front fender support gives me pause...

huh...

How would you feel about this Trail version of the Cub being offered as an ABS only model?
  13. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a whole thread for the CT125
  14. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I thought it prudent to pose this particular inquiry here in the "speculation" focused thread that I started some 7 months ago.:hmmmmm
  15. derblauereiter

Oddometer:
    Wait What’s the difference between the Cross Cub and the CT125?
  16. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One and the same.
  17. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they do the ABS the same as for the Super Cub (ie. front brake only) it will essentially be the same as some of the "enduro"-ABS systems out there.
    Allows you to lock up the back when desired, but never lets the front lock and slide out from under you.

I would be all for that.
    Dav101 likes this.
  18. derblauereiter

Oddometer:
    Cross posting from the other thread:
    1980’s CT 110:
    2772ABEB-3629-43BE-B893-FD1A53DD4A3D.jpeg
    Cross Cub 110:
    038EDB6A-55BC-4883-8201-483EDF221B8D.jpeg
    Trail Hunter 125:
    AEF22165-A8C1-4C6D-BF74-C57B19F948ED.jpeg
    sure hope the last one is the one they choose to import!
    jon_l, Jimo368, BMWzenrider and 2 others like this.
  19. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. That last one will be the one with a beefed up chassis to accommodate the 125cc engine.

That's pretty cool seeing those 3 pics together, sort of an evolution of the model. I really like the wing logo embellishment on the Trail version.
  20. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That makes total sense.

Apprehension - curtailed!