NEW Info on '05 950 Adventures

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MooreRon, May 11, 2004.

1. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    Curtis (owner of Cycle Town South in Lancaster, TX) called me tonight to ask some questions about this message board and wanted to let me know that if ANY of you have ANY questions about your 950 to feel free to call and ask him - he doesn't even care if you bought it somewhere else. Curtis is VERY pro-950 and wants the motorcycle public to realize how great the bike really is. Wouldn't it be nice if ALL dealership owners had this kind of pride in what they sell? :thumb

He also mentioned some things people can look for regarding a possible overheating issue on some earlier models that can be traced to the circlip (I think that's what he called it) on the waterpump shaft. I told him I thought the issue had been discussed on the forum, but I'd pass the word on. Before hanging up, he told me he just received word that the '05 KTM 950 Adventures will be going up $1,900 and production will be cut in 1/2. I'm not sure if this applies to the U.S. only or all over. I asked, but he didn't know of any physical changes to the bike yet.

If you need to talk to Curtis, his web site is:

http://www.cycletownsouth.com/

and his # is: (972) 230-1870
    CoFloW likes this.
  2. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with my dealer today and he has been told in a gaurded sort of way from his rep that KTM is not satisfied with sales of the 950 in the U.S. (they are pleased with their European #'s)and his allocation next year will be 3! He sold 12 this year. He also said that the 990 DUKE is going to be an 06 model not 05 so probably not here for another year at least.
  3. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    That's not great news...fewer bikes = even fewer knowledgeable dealers! I hope the 950Adv isn't going to become extinct in the U.S (and go the way of the 640LC4 Hard Enduro). Based upon recent AdvRider posts, the bike's popularity seems very location-dependent (or, maybe it is DEALER dependent??). I wonder if the more knowledgeable, boutique dealers sell quite a few, while the large, multi-line dealers have much less success? (put it in a line full of Japanese bikes, don't know much about it, don't really promote or support it, etc.)

Also, how could KTM expect the bike to do blazingly well in the U.S. in what is effectively its first year on the market? Until recently, I hadn't seen very many magazine ads for the 950, and unless you were already a dirt rider, you might not even know what a KTM is! Hmmm...moped, fishing rod, toaster?
  4. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    I must say I'm not as impressed with KTM corporate as I am their bikes!

These feelings first surfaced when they didn't bother showing up at the Dallas MC show (I think they were the only big name that didn't). I know a lot of people were looking forward to seeing their products.

The second time was visiting a KTM dealer in Austin and watched the KTM 'rep' come in looking like a punk kid with a teenage looking girlfriend hanging on his arm and he couldn't answer some basic questions I had asked the salesman to check into.

The third and most significant is their plan to cut away the U.S. allocation at a time when the magazines are RAVING about the 950 and people that test ride them end up buying them!

Come on KTM corporate - success doesn't always happen overnight - do some marketing and give the ball a chance to start rolling!!! :baldy
  5. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    I agree -- doesn't make much sense, does it? Of course, the allocation cutback may be pure rumor. In my discussions with a wide variety of KTM dealers, it has become apparent that many of the U.S. reps are in dark (relative to new model information, technical information and so forth). I've heard more than one dealer comment that their best source of up-to-date information is their customers!
  6. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not surprising, last night I had to explain to someone at my local dealership what a centerstand is and what it's used for. :baldy
  7. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Albeit, most KTM dealers in the U.S. are set up for dirt bikes only and that usually attracts a young crowd. Most KTM dealers have a shrug their shoulder attitude and are usally very misinformed. The 640 was their first real D/S bike introduced in the U.S. and I think it would have done better if KTM dealers were more informed about the bike. Let's face it that KTM does not generate the crowd BMW does or isn't set up like BMW dealers so this has a tremendous impact on sales.
    Personally if I was involved with corporate I would definetly set up a prime U.S. shop similiar to Sommer to establish a solid foundation, doing this causes others to follow once they see the attention given. Can you imagine a Sommer here in the U.S. with a large inventory, dyno and huge bike availability? Can't speak for KTM but if they want to get serious about selling introductory road bikes and dual sports then they need to get real. Hiring the classic punk kid with his girlfriend is hardly looking at things seriously.
    Btw, don't believe what the dealers tell you, I've learned that they don't know squat even though they give the impression their talking to corporate.
    The 950 has done well comparitively for a first year bike and thus far won the hearts of those who have been waiting for this bike.
  8. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Excellent points -- I agree with all of your comments. In particular, your idea of setting up a flagship (Sommer-like) dealership is a great idea! Take it a step further and provide seed capital for the best dealers in the strongest market areas to do a Sommer "makeover" (both appearance and technical expertise). That would be money well spent, in my opinion.
  9. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All very good and valid comments. I think the main thing is that people don't associate KTM with bikes that are street legal. The second issue is that it seems like they KTM corporate to dealer connection isn't as strong e.g., dealers don't find out about service bulletins until after the fact.
  10. DPRider

DPRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I got to say is, look at the Euro market for dual sport rides, compare that to the NA market and do the math--unless the 950 does really well here, say good bye. There have been several big dualies over the years that haven't made it here, but do very well in other markets. If we lose the 950 it will be a sad day indeed.
  11. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure KTM would agree.

It's only a numbers game. A how many units moved kinda thing.

That is why the 640 Adventure is gone form the American market. You can bet that if it sold well it would still be here.

I kinda think that KTM does not really need the American market.
  12. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Well the numbers game is always part of the way corporations think but their are also other factors that can make revenue a problem.
    It's obvious that KTM appreciates the U.S. market for their dirt bike sales and thus this explains the new building in Austria to provide more units with better delivery times. The U.S. in particular the EPA makes it very difficult for oversees companies to get products up to par so most companies would rather sacrifice sales volume over frustration. KTM had a large problem with the EPA which partially explains why California had a hard time getting the KTM 950 "S" model, bikes are barely running because their super lean for example. The EPA has a large impact on business sales which is why companies like BMW are greatly excepted with EFI units as opposed carbs, big kuddos! Advertisement dollars spent in America is not going to the waste side and overall the company is not reporting loss but frustration. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the reason the 640 is not here this year it's because they're working on a EFI platform, would be nice wouldn't it? :wink:
    I also see that their is talk that the new KTM 950 will be EFI next year so time will tell right? :evil
    Either way you look at, their is a tremendous amount of goverment influence that scares many manufacturers from doing business in the U.S. and on the same token the U.S. doesn't want to skimp out on the extra tax dollars coming in either.
  13. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet, KTM-USA just broke ground on their headquarters here in SoCal (Temecula), complete with 2 mile something test track :thumb . Sounds like commitment to me!
  14. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    That's GOOD to hear! :freaky
  15. paulsax

paulsax Paul

Oddometer:
    I've heard more than once from a dealer of something that next year supplies will be down and the price will be going up. Hell I was advised a couple weeks ago that I better buy a ZX-10 now because they would all be gone within 43 seconds of passing through customs. I hope the 1/2 supply and extra money is a false rumor / misinformation like we all do. My gut feel is that they will continue to expand in the US with streetbikes. I suspect they are well aware that >50% of BMW's cash comes from the GS series and last I heard KTM was doing well money-wise. Lets hope the 950 continues to grow in number and next years "S" model has something other than a French fag paint job!

btw this is one of the few useful forums I've seen so congrats/thanks to all

paul
  16. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    If KTM should decide to lower 950 production numbers, that could be well because they had no real clue as to what number of units could be sold in the world. Estimates are mostly only halfway reality at best...

And than there's the dollar to euro conversion. I've read here about 950's being sold in the US for $10k or even less. $10k makes just a tad more than 8K in euros. I'm 6000 miles closer to Mattighofen and I paid 13.500 in euros. And that was a sharp deal, mind you! Guess how much KTM makes on every 950 sold in the US? How about -2.000 dollars? Think about transportation of the bike, and of every part, the whole KTM US organisation etc. etc.

I have no idea what the effect of all of this is to the number of 950's for the US. I just hope they have enough sense to not go broke over their attempt to conquer the big traillie market.
  17. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much, but I'd look for most European bike manufacturers to up prices next year due to the weak dollar's current exchange rate.

The delivery story may hold water as well, right now they're giving away free hard luggage ($750+/-) to help offload inventory...I don't see them shipping hundreds of bikes over into a market where they aren't making as much profit and also having to sweeten the pot to move 'em out the door.

Only time will tell.
  18. Dbook

Dbook n00b

Oddometer:
    KTM is cutting back all its allocation's on bikes not just the 950. It has some to do with the exchange rate at the moment.
  19. KV-KLR

KV-KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This tread is exactly why I haven't pulled the trigger on buying a 950. I currently ride a KLR and am ready for something bigger but still want to ride some trails... GSA too big and heavy but KLR limits the miles on pavement for multi-day trips. KTM 950 fits the bill for sure but don't want to buy a bike that will be discontinued leaving me with poor resale and hard to find / expensive goodies for the bike.

FWIW, not all KTM dealers are getting the DS bikes. A local dealer (that is friend of friend) sells only KTM and sells lots of dirt bikes but no dual sport as KTM requires him to spend so much on advertsing for that bike only and then will not allocate him enought bikes to recoup his costs. He says it's an awesome bike but doesn't have any to sell (same story with 640 Adv). Does this make sense or has anyone else heard similar?

Playing the waiting game and nobody ever accused me of being patient.

KV
  20. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about being discontinued? If you really want one, this would be the time to do it. My buddy that bought a 950 at the same time I did had a KLR and I don't think he even remembers having it!