NEW Info on '05 950 Adventures

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MooreRon, May 11, 2004.

1. KV-KLR

KV-KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobody said discontinue but cutting US allocation in half if sales are that poor could soon lead to no US shipments soon after.

I agree that now is this time. Just looking for good dealer in the area with the right price.

KV
  2. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:

I think the biggest hit was that if a dealer wanted to sell 950's they had to have somebody factory certified to work on them, which meant sending somebody to headquarters for a week or so's training, then they had to purchase KTM tooling to be able to work on the bikes.

Depending on who you talk to this ran anywhere from $2k to $5k.

I don't think i've seen any dealers spend anything on advertising apart from putting a bike on ebay for the free exposure.

....you only live once... :evil
  3. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    KLR,

If you're anywhere near TX, I'd recommend Cycle Town South (south of Dallas). Ask for Curtis, the owner.
  4. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I agree that now is a good time to buy. With the continuing weakening of the $ versus the Euro, prices are bound to increase and availability decrease. Right now you can still get 'free' luggage with a 950, that offer is good until the end of this month, and prices seem to be reasonable. And I doubt that KTM dealerships are going to be closing their doors, so parts and service ought to be available for years to come.
  5. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but here in Oz dealers had to cough up for a display stand and various other bits and pieces if they wanted to sell the 950. The cost of the stand was pretty hefty and would certainly be enough to make smaller dealers think twice about stocking a bike that really isn't part of KTM's bread and butter sales line up.
  6. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Burrenrider is partially right, KTM required the dealers to buy 5 950's and many of the dealers didn't want to take the plunge on a bike that was new to the market. Display propaganda and updated outside KTM signs were part of the deal and the dealers themselves were to provide the funds to support this. I know this is a bogus way for KTM to establish a strong relationship with Mom & Pop dealers but that was there corporate plan. Kinda explains why some shops were even selling the bike just above cost to keep KTM happy but in the long run they hurt the resale value of the bike and made other very well established dealers pissed.
    I don't fall for the "This is the reason I didn't buy a 950 story" because parts availability will always be avilable through KTM shops, may take a little longer but nonetheless guaranted to be available. There is money to be made in parts and KTM U.S.A. in Ohio is aware of it.
    The bike has already proved it's reliability and I don't see any reason why anyone should have to wait for anymore evidence, unless of course your waiting for next years EFI model. Just put my name on the list today for an 05 model with my dealer :wink: can't wait to be riding again!
  7. ezvfrman

ezvfrman VFRMAN

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new 04 off of Ebay for $9800 from a dealer in IL (I am in Houston). This was $2200 less than what I could buy one for from the only dealer around here (Wild West in Katy, TX) that had one.

Like others have said, a KTM dirtbike dealer in town said he wanted to get the 950, but he had to put up too much $ in marketing material, and then they would only allocate him 2 bikes. He would be upside-down on the deal by thousands if he sold both bikes at MSRP.

BTW- Wild West in Katy is having a 950 demo ride event on May 22nd. They have 10 slots, and I know they still have open slots.
  8. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Another reason for price increases is the pure cost increase of raw materials Lumber is up 100% (I know no wood on a KTM) steel is climbing weekly The Chinese are buying steel like it was going out of style look at the cost of a new house its not just the market inflation is here expect everything to go up
  9. KV-KLR

KV-KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey ezvfrfun, PM w/ details of IL dealer so I can check if anymore available at that price. I'm also in Houston so maybe quick deal to be worked for 2 bikes coming to Houston.

To clarify comments earlier, I don't think parts will become non-existant, dealers stop servicing and lose everything on the bike but for strong aftermarket supply to develop the bike has to be on the market for several years. KTM suddenly decides they don't feel like messing with US for whatever reason for the 950... yea you still get parts but how long and what price? I don't notice many aftermarket goodies for the 640 Adv but certainly not looking very hard either so maybe it's all a mute point.

Hopefully KTM gets their head out of their ass or better yet starts communicating to let us know it's all rumor!!

KV
  10. prpbmw

prpbmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a sure fire plan to increase market share...NOT!

Just like the government.

Bus ridership is down, so they increase fares and decrease service...

Will they never learn?