New Jacket from Motoport! The Marathon.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Repko, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    This is a new style similar to the best selling Ultra ll. The changes are as follows.

Shorter sportier look with same pocket volume as the Ultra ll 3/4.
    Upper right pocket for Maps, glasses, garage opener lower outside.
    Upper left phone & I-pod.
    Standard cargo lower pockets. Belt in back for more pocket volume.
    1" Day-Glow sleeve reflectors, 3" back.
    10" sleeve vent-zippers. 16" back.
    Shorter front for no bunching when seated. 2" longer in back all the way to the seat.

I believe after much experience with riding gear, this jacket is the finest toughest, most armor, best laid out, longest lasting, cool breathing, stretchy comfortable, great visibility jacket ever.

For anyone new to Motoport, the materials used are the best available! (see save your hide on the site) Stretch Kevlar (Keprotec) is the most indestructibly material available today. Made by schoeller. Warrantied to be repairable after ANY accident, or replaced! Hand made in the USA!

These are the first pictures. Request the Marathon @ about the same price as the Ultra ll.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
    looks like the jacket from my 2pc Roadcrafter !!??!!
  3. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
    It may just be the pics, but that collar looks way better than I'm used to seeing from Motoport. And the jacket actually has, dare I say, a bit of style. It certainly looks less frumpy.
  4. JingJing

JingJing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like that design. I have the Riva AX and since it's a short jacket, it has to be zipped to the pants. Since this is longer, do you zip this jacket to the pants?

The only nit I have with this design is that the collar looks too tall and needs to be cut lower in the front for folks with a short neck like me. Being custom though, I suppose Wayne could do this if needed.

Otherwise, this a great design! Let's see pics of you wearing it on your bike - you know, like Gringo.

Thanks for posting!
  5. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Was 80% sure I was going to get a Motoport for next year, but seeing as I already own a generic frumpy jacket it was hard to spend that much for better protection but still look the same. Think the one you have there is the change that will convince many of us.
  6. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    +1

New top of the wishlist item...
  7. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Curious if this jacket is waterproof, or if you have to wear a water/wind-proof liner underneath it ...

Doesn't really matter how nice a jacket is to me ... if I have to take the dang thing off and put a liner underneath it to be weatherproof, I just won't get it. Seems silly to stop all the water AFTER it's gone through the outer layer of the jacket ...
    :huh

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  8. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Looks ooooooh so cool in the summer sun too.

:lol3
  9. Highwing

Highwing n00b

Oddometer:
    That is one awesome looking jacket! What is the armor made of? Is it in just the traditional places? Does it breath well?
    Tell us more!
  10. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    The collar is made any size, it's very soft material & folds down with helmet.

Yes it's water resistant, it beads off like it's Teflon coated. I believe the Fabric guard 303 Motoport sells will "re water proof" after several washes.

I don't have zippers for attaching to pants but may be a good idea. The upgraded back armor is stiff & feels like it would hold the back of the jacket inplace, zippers are always better though.

I'll get some more pix soon. The short style is for no bunching when seated, back just hits the seat. It's a great design.

I have liners but rarely use them. The Motoport site has all the information. I'm just an enthusiastic customer that got the first of a new generation design jacket. Same great stretch Kevlar material.

Summer sun? the material does not transfer heat like Polyester or Nylon. Breathes better than the average cotton jeans too! Way better.
  11. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    What kind of material is that on the back of the arms, mesh kevlar or something else?:ear
  12. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    am i dumb or is it not on their website?
  13. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  14. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just use a rainsuit over my Motoport gear. I wouldn't want a waterproof layer on all of the time because I would surely overheat.
  15. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    Wayne said today,he is adding this to the web site.

The Mesh is Kevlar on the back of the arms. (over kill & not needed) The standard stretch Kevlar is very tough!

The material beads off water when pored on it! Retreat with Fabric-Guard 303 that's sold on the Motoport site.
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Seems silly to me to be sweating to death in rain gear all the time.

If it's going to rain, put in the liner before you leave home. No need to pull over on the side of the road. Even with the liner installed "just in case" the Motoport gear is more comfortable in hot weather than Fieldsheer Tour Temp or the Roadcrafter from RiderWarehouse.
  17. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I sure like the look a lot better than most motoport jackets! How well does it breathe compared to the AirMesh Kevlar? Would it be a good jacket for REALLY Hot weather?
  18. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

its tough to get really comfortable in REALLY hot weather..... even though the stretch kevlar breathes very well but when its really hot there is only really hot air coming thru..... the only way i've found to be SUPER comfortable in REALLY hot weather is to wear an evaporative cooling vest (the kind you run under a faucet) under my Riva stretch kevlar jacket....IMO in REALLY hot weather the vest is the best thing since sliced bread..... the stretch kevlar lets just the right amount of air thru to let the vest work properly.... it's air conditioning for a motorcycle !

a less expensive "brand" that looks exactly like the one i bought at cycle gear

http://www.palmflex.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=670&Reviews=show&b=1#reviews

ride well (and cool)

Frank
  19. abhorred

abhorred not really

Oddometer:
    :Dnothing like stealing the Roadcrafter jacket patterns and adding some stripes

same collar
    same LH diagonal chest pocket
    same vertical RH chest pocket
    same patch pockets
    same cuff tabs
    same waist adjustment tabs
    same back vent
    same
    same
    same

nice add on the sleeve vents though :rolleyes

everyone rants about how dated the RC design is and you guys are gushing about Motoport adopting it 50 years later...:D
  20. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    Wayne & I had disused a new style jacket for some time. I brought 4 jackets with me & discussed details from each. BMW RP2, BMW Comfort shell, Dainese Fluxes & a Shift dirt jacket. I had printed pictures of what's called a Statesman jacket too.

The basic shell is the Ultra ll, the gussets behind the shoulders run the full C shape to allow for forward reach-180 to the front of the top shoulder unlike the R/C witch stops under the shoulder armor.

The velcro tabs in back were from the Dainese-Fluxus & the Statesman jacket, the scrunchy was from the Ultra ll.

I wanted front cargo pockets like the RP2.
    The right chest pkt is the same Napoleon style used by many including & RP2 & Santiago & Motoport, M/P mostly covered it with a cargo pkt, we removed the cargo to give a cleaner look.
    The left does not have the glove pass through like the R/C.
    Arm vents extended to 10" from 3".
    Collar higher but using soft material as to not interferer with head turning.
    The sleeve mesh looks R/C but is my req & not standard.
    The front of this jkt is short waist as to not bunch up! tapering to 3" longer in back to look like a 3/4 from the back. Also hits the seat just right.
    The back vent is a old idea but taken from my Shift jkt & the "Statesman" look.
    Sleeve reflector rings to give a bold look & be seen from all angles.

The original idea was a Statesman style witch has a "cape" wrapping over the shoulders & down to the flap in the back. I wanted mesh vents under cape, on the front of the shoulders. Hard to describe but was deemed way to radical & costly to make.

1.The primary idea with this style is to get maximum pocket volume by eliminating the front belt.
    2. Give a trim short sportier look in front (no bunching when seated)
    3. Give a 5/8 or 3/4....9/16th??? :D look to the back.
    4. Provide a all-around jacket for all riding.
    5. Provide very good daytime viability, not just night!

Thanks for the interest! This was a fun project.