new jersey to alaska 2019 3.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ARCHER75, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi to all you good folks out in advrider land , so ive had the perfect chance to tick off one of my lifetime rides due to circumstances and some free time lol , so now have 3.5 weeks to ride NJ to Anchorage on my 2017 F800gs very lightly packed and bike is prepped with a 3.5k budget

I will be camping 90% of the trip and hotel/motel/cabin every 5th day .

I do have a couple of questions that ive not found any answer to on here so far so hoping you fine people will lend some sound advice etc .

1. I have 2 gps units a montana 600 and a tom tom rider gen 3 will thease maps work in Canada ? stupid question probably but I know my montana has the north America 24k topo map and the tom tom does north America....but do I need to load up a Canada only map too ?. I do use maps love maps and not scared to use them lol and have my copy of the Milestone 2019 aswell .

ok so far so good so now question #2

2. what would be the most efficient route to slab the NJ to at least south or north Dakota ? .and would camping be an option on the slab route till I get to the Dakotas area.

I will be doing a ride report of course once on my way as best as I can im not exactly a tech guru.

so hope some of you fine folks will help out an expat brit lol . and THANKYOU in advance
  2. rick.r.calvert

rick.r.calvert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The North American map will work as well in Canada as it does in the US. Wave at me when you go through Beaverlodge. Just before mile 0 on the Alaska hwy.
  3. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey , thanks rick , was a dumb question but I wanted to make sure lol just in case . oh and I will toot the horn when I pass by haha , thanks for the reply.
  4. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a dream trip.
  5. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks zee , its probably only chance I will get in the near future so grabbing the bull by the horns .
  6. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    Have half a mind to join you ;)
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    From NJ west, I-70 or 80 till past Chicago, then get north to 90 or 94. It will be boring droning along at ~80 mph, but if you only have 3 1/2 weeks, there's better places to see in British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska.
    Enjoy your ride!!!
    phreakingeek likes this.
  8. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thankyou scootac , that's what i was thinking pretty much , planning on big days at around 400 to 500 miles max thru the slogging part just to get thru it lol . Thanks again .
  9. rick.r.calvert

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget to stop at Liard hot springs for a good soak. Also a good place to camp. About 1/2 way between fort Nelson and Watson lake.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    You might want to increase that so you have a bit more leisurely ride thru the good parts. Maybe a couple 6-700 mile days if you can......
    wee-twin, bobw and phreakingeek like this.
  11. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider

Oddometer:
    I'm headed up to AK from VA this summer too, so I'm following your thread to hear from the AK ride vets for some good intel.
    L.V. likes this.
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks scootac , I can push to 600 miles for sure on the slab up there , would be nicer to slow it down and have a lil more time once im there . will be checking your ride report today with much enjoyment !. phreakingeek I can always share plans , packing list etc if you need any suggestions and visa versa. Yinzer I will check your report too today lol lots of fun reading today for me lol , thanks guys for the comments and advice , much apprecaited
  15. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Rick, is this Beaverlodge??????

[​IMG]

We saw this massive beaver north of Grand Prairie and south of Dawson Creek.
  16. rick.r.calvert

Oddometer:
    It’s in Beaverlodge.
  17. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Unless you try to bulldoze through Chicago in the middle of the night, try to swing wider to the south. It increases the miles but can save some time.
    iflysideways likes this.
  18. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    And sanity!!!
    iflysideways likes this.
  19. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks duke , I have a provisional route now which will fine tune over the next 6 weeks before I go its pretty much Jersey to ohio , indy , iowa , south Dakota , montana then up to Calgary pretty much then from there where ever my wheels and mind want to take me . as I say will be finer tuned thru next few weeks .

and defintly sanity scootac lol , the slab the worse bit but I can grind it out .
    DisqoG and phreakingeek like this.
  20. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    altho I might run straight to iowa and have one monster day to Indiana just around 700 miles . my packing list will be up later aswell .