new jersey to alaska 2019 3.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ARCHER75, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    $0.02
    If your budget is *really* tight some/many of the RV/Campground ‘Parks’ we stayed at on our way had pretty much everything a hotel had to offer other than a real bed & not having to set up your gear. If you stop in some of those places (KOA etc.) your ‘hotel every 5th day’ is TOTALLY do-able and you could possibly even stretch it further if you so choose.
    We liked having a real bed & a respite from setting up camp, cooking, etc...and being able to dry out our gear...every 2-3 days. Sometimes after a really long day, or a cold one, or a particularly hot one, you just want it easy- enter the hotel.

RE: Ride Report advice-
    Take more pictures
    Take notes of people/places/events along your way to help with writing. (I keep a Rite in the Rain notebook & pen in my jacket)
    Really, take more pictures
    Roll with it- there will be lots of times, especially the farther North you get, that you won’t have ready access to wifi...don’t worry about it, you’ll catch up.
    Doing a RR is a LOT more work than it probably seems like right now...but you’ll get the hang of it.
    Seriously, take more pictures
    I look forward to watching your trip! :beer
    StanBo, bobw, rubline and 1 other person like this.
  2. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey project mayhem , thanks for the $0.02 lol , totally agree , i love camping and am very used to it on and off the bike and am very comfy with camping days on end , so will mostly stick to the 5 day rule for proper hotel/motel/cabin and have already researched many a campground/ rv park etc in the areas I will be .

But also the benefit of the camping is the money saving so if need more nights in a motel /hotel etc its there as a back up .

thanks again man appreciate it . will keep post updated and of course a ride report from the road or lack of road lol .
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    There is a Super 8 in Portage, IN. From "Joisey," if you're coming out on I 80, it sets you up nicely for either the Chicago options. You can go "straight through" on I 90, which few of us recommend. If you set the clock for 03:30 you can make it on a weekday. Sunday would be the best day. Otherwise look at swinging south on I 94.

Once you clear Chi, you can do a lot of US highways rather than the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. It will add a great dimension to your trip.
  4. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks dukembutu , that's great help , the Chicago are part is the bit that bugs me lol , once clear of that im cool of doing different routes thru to montana and up , its the dam jersey to past chi that's the pain in the butt ….. literally lol . thanks for the suggestions , I94 seems a decent route rather than 90 thru .
  5. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You be better off with US 2 then I94. It is bit up North but you going up North anyway.
    scootac likes this.
  6. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so busy today with ups dropping off nice revzilla boxes lol how nice hahaha.

I have my packing list for the trip …. and will add or minus closer to set off day

LUGGAGE 1x big touratech dry roll bag , 1x rucksack 1x smaller dry bag for tent , 1x nelson rigg adv tank bag . that's it no side cases no engine guard bags lite lite lite is my way . and all my rok straps best ive used period .

BIKE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT 1x montana 600 with 24k topo , 1x tom tom rider gen 2 updated maps , and all cables etc . tool kit for the crucial bits on the bike , zip ties , spare tubes with mat and spoons etc . tirox snapjack v2 as don't have a center stand . lube and clean for chain .

CAMPING 1x eureka sun river 2 tent , 1x sleep bag 50 rated (im like a radiator n get hot so don't need lower temp bag ) , 1x sea to summit pillow , 1x marchway ultralight cot , headlamp , jetboil , waterproof matches (never know Lol) , bear spray ( I aint stupid lol well not what my wife says but meh)

CLOTHING 1x light sneakers , 1x cargo pants lite weight , 5x tees some long sleeve , 2x set of base layers one for warm one for cold , 1x hoodie , 1x very light rain jacket , 5x undies 5x socks mix of riding socks and sneaker socks , 3xneck buffs ( best thing ive used for 20 years riding all year round ) , 1x sunglasses , and of course shower gel , and speed stick lol mind if you if I don't wash the bears might be like …..I aint eating that lol and my sea to summit towel (med is more than enough )

MEDICAL KIT 1X AWESOME medi kit with all the main essential bits. no medications so thats good lol

RIDING KIT 1X Klim jacket 1x revit gortex pants , my Forma adv boots stupid comfy and my arai xd4 helmet , 1x rain suit , 1x klim light gloves 1x winter gloves dainese gortex

then all my documents , passport , back up maps x2 etc etc etc . point n shoot camera and maybe the go pro .

FOOD I tend to eat on the road mainly but will have instant oatmeal , Kind bars , coffee sachets for roadside coffee lol , some mountain house meals as backup or good to go meals usually 3 meals . that's it...... most days im out on trip its roadside or general store stock up as I need it .

BIKE PROTECTION AND GOODIES My F800gs 2017 is the Trophy edition so has the metal bash plate , and lower engine guards , 2 x ram mounts for phone and GPS never failed me EVER , even doing 2,000 miles 90% off road and trails .and my Adventure Spec rear luggage plate .

TIRES Im either going E07s or AVON trailriders ( very awesome tire just not sure on mileage ) and new tubes with spare tubes or course .

other than all of that im pretty dialed in at the moment , and surprisingly doesn't weigh a ton compared to my last bike 2015 1200gs with the zega bags .

any suggestions or yays or nays welcome of course .

will keep you fine folks updated when I can .
    StanBo, bobw and phreakingeek like this.
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Yay!!!!
    :D
  8. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha thanks scootac !
  9. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    A few suggestions:
    Motoskiveez
    Bug spray
    Small can of curry paste...you can do a lot with this and items generally available even in the most remote places
    ABA71E8B-24BC-4A1A-9DC5-9F02F787C895.jpeg
  10. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yes .....I forgot I have 2 pairs of the motoskiveez , and I have deet deep woods . The curry paste is a dam good idea ! And add some flavour to some possibly bland food lol . Thanks bud . I usally have a couple of small spice jars that i fill but that's usally nearer home when I'm more loaded up with food n camp kitchen etc . But is a good idea.
    StanBo and Project Mayhem like this.
  11. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    update 4/20/19 Saturday

so today got the last few bits for the trip minus the tires n tubes and oil change before I set off .

1x Thermarest comp pillow medium (ems)

1x tx direct wash for my gortex jacket and pants , pre wash before trip should be interesting as has like 25,000 miles of dirt n grime lol

1x mosi head net

1x selfie stick hahahah why not $5 bucks from wally world

and ordering my marchway ultralight cot (amazon $78 bucks ) so looks like im all ready gear wise and now to just adjust my route and read more of the milepost 2019 and make notes .

best thing so far is my roll /dry bag weight is around 35lbs in total plus my tank bag up front got it as minimal as I can, and for weight saving too ...hey it helps the tires the bike and me lol

keep riding you fine folks and see you all soon . B
    bobw and Project Mayhem like this.
  12. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190421_105405.jpg

Time to sort 3 kits into 1 kit lol , only essential medkit stuff needed , What's in your medkits for a 21 day trip on the road ? .
  13. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A bit more than the ‘bare minimum’...but we have our reasons. :(
  14. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190421_115413.jpg

Mines all done and very similar to yours , very comprehensive for most situations . Just gotta add some Advil and aspirin and anti histamine.
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  15. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it's 4/23 today , beautiful 80f day and time to try the tent setup and pack down again more than a few times so dont have to mess around when it's time to set up camp .The Eureka sunriver 2 tent is stupid easy and quick to pitch as in super super simple n quick 10mins and was done ...equipped with my seat to summit pillow (beyond comy ) and my Rei self inflate pad 3.5 thick . Very happy ! 20190423_135144.jpg
  16. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to save a few more bucks on your intermittent hotel stays to take a break from camping, don't forget to check out the Tent Space Map for hospitable inmates (like myself) willing to lend you some lawn for tenting, or a couch or spare bedroom to take advantage of if the weather sucks.

So it should go without saying that if you're coming through Prince George on your way north or south, drop me a line! Good luck with the rest of your trip planning!
    Blueeyedme and Project Mayhem like this.
  17. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi GISdood , thankyou for the offer most certainly up for a pint of guinness lol , Ive looked at the tent space map such an awesome idea and will putting up my details if anyone finds them selves in jerzzzee lol , thanks again , I will try n update as I can an dof course plenty of pics along the way .

B
    GISdood likes this.
  18. The Gymmy

The Gymmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the trip last year from Virginia to Tuk.....avoided Chicago and I went up through Michigan across the Mackenaw Bridge. Crossed border at Saux St Marie and around lake Superior and then straight up from Thunder Bay to Dawson Creek.

12,700+ miles 21 days - Never had a problem for hotels and never made reservations until late afternoon of the day needed. Gas was not an issue just be smart. Carried camping gear just in case but didnt need it.

The Yamaha shop in Whitehorse is an oasis of sort - You can change oil in parking lot and change tires if needed as well. We went up on street tires and bought tires from them for the dirt. We called and made sure they set aside our tires for our arrival. You take tire off bike and they mount new tires on and you put tire back on. EESY PEEZY! We switched back to streets for ride home and carried our dirt tires back with us. They were great and alot of ADV riders use this place to do maintenance prior to the Dempster and Dalton.

2 GS's, KTM 1290 and a Super tenere. Use your head and have fun. Second time up and its a breeze.
    StanBo, bobw and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gymmy , good advice and suggestions . my route will be slightly different as im heading to south Dakota then montana and up from there , so the lower eastern part will be p.a , ohio , indy in one day which for me is doeable , First few days will be around 600/700 then will start to slow it up daily mileage wise down to 400 ish , then roughly cedar rapids , Sioux falls area or rapid city to billings and then up ...that's a rough route still fluid at moment with changes . there some things I wana see on my way upto the Canadian border .

The hotels planning is what I had in mind booking the night before for the next day or as you say afternoon of the day needed , I do and will camp a good 80% of the trip tho , I love my camping . But hotel rest day will also be important to refresh etc .

Thanks for the heads up on the Yamaha shop in whitehhorse defintly will be usefull for sure . sounds good and handy place .

looking forward to it , only 4 .5 weeks to go then im off . all my gear set , bike is set other than fresh oil change , so good to roll .

thanks again for your input and hints n tips .

B
    The Gymmy likes this.
  20. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4/28/2019

update .

so my tires came in (E07 and E07+ Rear ) and my new tubes with a set of spares too ! , awesome new rear pads will arrive Wednesday gotta love revzilla .

One BIG issue so far ….Banff and Jasper national parks have a few sites closed for the entire 2019 season so needless to say all the other camps are booked already thru to end of august pretty much so now is going to be a hunt for a space and try use my accent to get me a lil corner to pitch up lol , or motel around the Banff / jasper area, last choice will be to primitive camp if no joy elsewhere , im not paying stupid money for a motel/hotel in Banff for few hours sleep then out again . (and yes I have Scottish blood hence the penny pinching lol )

so now today I am detailing my route little more working in gas stops as a rough guide .

question what temp sleeing bags you folks use for Alaska / Canada …. im thinkin of a zero c bag but they seem v bulky and I do get v warm at night .

B
    StanBo likes this.