new jersey to alaska 2019 3.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ARCHER75, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hinton KOA is quite nice...check it out.
    We used our 15F (?) bags as blankets, don’t think we ever got in them properly.
    Our moto-camping setup is 2 Exped Mega Mat 10’s side-by-side held together with a queen-size fitted sheet, flat sheet over that, sleeping bags as blankets (completely opened up).
    We never saw temps below 40F (July/Aug) on our trip and the night we spent above the Arctic Circle (Galbraith Lake Campground) was one of the warmest...but that can vary WILDLY and you should be prepared for freezing-ish temps if a bad storm rolls through.
    StanBo and phreakingeek like this.
  2. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Mayhem , thanks . will check out the Hinton for sure . that's my only concern now really especially as Banff n jasper already pretty much booked up cos of the camp closures for upgrades.

im probably going to go with my 40f bag as I am going in june and of course the weather changes on a dime so kind hitting middle ground , worse case if really cold got my thermals and riding kit lol slept in that many a time ..pretty warm if not totally comfy .

did you guys take a bear canister when you went ? im pretty sure I will buy one the smaller bv450 I think it is .

p.s you got a comfy set up man lol , I just got my marchway ultralight cot orderd of amazon , will be more than enough for me and my bag n pillow .

thanks again bud .
    DisqoG and Project Mayhem like this.
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 years ago I did trip to Yellowstone, Badlands I called ahead try to make reservations they all said nothing was available all booked. So I gambled showed up at Yellowstone NP ask the ranger they found me place to stay on their fully booked campsite. You will always find place for a tent. I shared spot with Harley guy in Badlands NP had great time.
    Dan Alexander and Project Mayhem like this.
  4. rick.r.calvert

rick.r.calvert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think most campsites will be a problem. If you are not looking for serviced sites. In Alberta BC and the Yukon there are very good provincial and territorial sites available and generally they are very under utilized. Same with the Alaska states campsites. Especially if you start early and stop reasonably early, like mid afternoon.
    DisqoG, knight and Project Mayhem like this.
  5. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ARCHER75 We did not take a bear vault...we utilized the lockers provided at some of the campgrounds and just tried to keep the food away from our tent when such items (lockers) weren't available.
  6. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks switchgilde and calvert , that's what I was hoping for the campgrounds , im solo one night in a small tent , shouldn't be an issue and don't need a serviced site either lol .

thanks mayhem that's what I thought myself , ive never used a bear container yet and I do wild camp in p.a wilds ,up state ny too .but I do clean camp and observant too .

thanks guys for your input I appreciate it .
  7. rick.r.calvert

Oddometer:
    I do lots of backwoods camping and bears are really not much of a problem. If you keep things cleaned up and no food in tent. You should never have a problem. A rope over a branch of a tree and pull anything that may smell good to a bear up in the air is better than any container.
    knight likes this.
  8. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks calvert . my thinking exactly v clean camper here , and always keep bike a good ways from my tent when possible . and obviously nothing in tent apart from me n my bag n pad and bear spray lol
  9. rick.r.calvert

Oddometer:
    I tried bear spray for awhile. I could never run fast enough to catch them to spray them. Good luck. Happy camping.
    Massabusa and Kaalsb like this.
  10. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    make sure to hit Glacier Park before heading north to Calgary ... if you can do it from west to east
  11. rick.r.calvert

Oddometer:
    Hi way to the sun in glacier is beautiful
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  12. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks dan will be hopefully hitting glacier too gotta do some route adjustments but that is on my list . thanks
  13. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    When I head across the country it's always my go to spot I aim for. The contrast from the barren big sky plains of Montana to the amazing soaring peaks in such a short distance is awe inspiring.

Lots of video's and if you can west to east keeps you on the outside of the road near the edge for a bit more excitement.

14. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    this guy is going est to west and you can see the difference, still a good video though

15. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can get chilly when when the sun goes down when your're camped down by a river ,near any mountain streams or a glacier and on the shores of windy lakes , in the mountains temps can drop to below freezing before the sun rises .In the far north campgrounds are built on permafrost

The bag I use in the north is good to -15C , it lightweight and packs down small ,it was expensive, but worth every penny everytime the temps drop
    It's the same bag I have with me right now in the Baja ,on warm evenings I open the zipper

If you're going to go the Yukon , you should go prepared , at one time it was required by law
    https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/historyculture/tonofgoods.htm
  16. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan , thanks man that's awesome will for sure work that into my route this weekend , its a cant miss thing I guess lol , im a sucker for amazing scenery and roads . and most likely work into my route back when i come back down then head east back home .

Knight , thanks for the heads up on the temps , i will check out some of the lower rated bags , i do have 0c bag which ive used few times in colder camp times and was more than decent, even at home in depths of winter my bedroom window is open at night as i get v warm much to the anger of the wife lol . Love the link by the way ….crazy lol .im glad my pack list isn't that heavy or loaded lol , tho 150lbs of bacon would be nice hahahaha
    knight likes this.
  17. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck and you have another local following your report!
  18. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks StanBo ,always good to see a local lol , I will be posting updates prior to the trip and during and after all being well . but will try keep up as much as I can .
  19. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might ask for GPS track for the Canadian side. I will be going next year. Looking forward to your RR
  20. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ switchglide12 no probs , when I have route finished I will gladly share .

B