new jersey to alaska 2019 3.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ARCHER75, Apr 15, 2019.

1. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ARCHER75
    Rich, also from N Jersey suggested to contact you
    I’m leaving Brooklyn between 5/28-6/1 pretty much on your route to Alaska Prudhoe (or NW Tuk)
    Riding a Triumph Tiger 800 XRx LSH and planning on mostly camping with 4-450 slab days and 200? on backroads and mental health days
    Hit me up if this works for you
    [email protected]
    George

2. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey DisqoG , how you doing , hope your plans are going well , mine are still tweeking not bad only 3 weeks to go lol , I will email you bit later today if cool , and we can discuss plans and such.

B
    DisqoG likes this.
  3. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool
    I’m doing a trial trip Saturday to Tuesday down/around Shenandoah & WV - 3 nights 3 campgrounds to make sure my gear and routines are up to par.
    I’ll shoot you my cell by email [email protected]
    George
    phreakingeek likes this.
  4. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh nice ! thatll get you upto speed with the camping side lol , dam good idea , catch you later George .

Ben
    DisqoG likes this.
  5. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding GEAR for Alaska trip June-July question.
    I’m having second thoughts of my riding gear - jacket/pants.
    I was planning on my Rev’it Poseidon jacket and pants. Both waterproof and removable insulated liners and of course CE protection PLUS a Sedici mesh jacket with removable liner and riding jeans.
    A super Dainese Fulcrum Gore-Tex and maybe a pair of light riding hightops.
    IDEA was to pop the CE armor out of everything and wear my Bohn mesh “long johns” with its armor under everything and save cargo space
    BUT
    Now I’m having second thoughts
    I can handle temps up to high 70’s maybe 80-ish with the Rev’it.
    Alternatively maybe I’m totally overkill and I should consider some lighter duty gear and get a set of FrogTogs - bearing in mind I have heated gear.
    What’re your thoughts?
    What have you done?
    What are you planning?
  6. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of selling my Klim Hardanger one piece suit size Large. You can just wear it over your everyday clothing and save tons of room. It has all the armor back, shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. Its Klim 100% waterproof.
    ARCHER75 and DisqoG like this.
  7. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought me an Ursack at REI and a slingshot at Dick’s to shoot a line over a branch. Plan to hang my “kitchen” and freeze dried up high
    ARCHER75 likes this.
  8. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds terrific. Call me?
    ARCHER75 likes this.
  9. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey DisqoG , man that's a lot of riding gear , myself im riding in my Klim gortex jacket n pants (gortex) , and have a full one piece rev it rain suit as backup or if forecast is saying all day heavy rain I will wear that over my gear . the rain suit compresses down real small so takes less room and weight in my roll bag . also I always have 3 neck buffs super useable and thin so takes no room up .

as for under garments I tend to have 3 or 4 long sleeve wicking tops and 2 x bottoms to wear under my riding suit . at least one set for warm temps and one set for cold . they super easy to wash and dry . but I live in my main riding kit 90% of the time apart from when camping or a day off when I have a few tees and one pair of pants/jeans. but I personally keep the clothing down and riding kit to the minimum you need , as like I said 90% of the time your riding .

I do invest in good long riding socks tho they like heaven .lol
    DisqoG likes this.
  10. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DisqoG , will call later if your free later this afternoon . Ben
  11. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    put it this way this is my total luggage with all my camp gear and clothing and medkit with washbag too lol . I do have a tankbag and small backpack too . 20190507_142450.jpg 20190507_142458.jpg
    DisqoG likes this.
  12. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my main gear in my roll bag , only thing to pop in is my sleeping bag in its compression sack and my lightweight cot .should be just right pack size 20190508_125603.jpg 20190508_125603.jpg
    DisqoG and X-wing fighter like this.
  13. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s sweet. So it’s 1 or 2 roll bags?
    I’m assuming you don’t have panniers?
    I’ve got to shed a LOT of gear!
    BTW what are you riding?
    What’s your actual departure date projected?
  14. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man , I try to keep light and essentials only ..theres always wally world on the road if need something desperately .

I now have a 2017 F800gs , I had the 1200gs 2016 with all the hard bags etc and found I always over over packed so learnt my lesson lol , now for this trip I actually decided on 2 roll bags my main touratech dry bag for main stuff which you've seen on my post the other roll bag is a 20L with my sleep cot and tent , but because both are small takes not much room on back seat with the main bag , I of course have my tank bag upfront and a small rucksack to keep spare gloves , rain suit and snacks etc so its easy to reach n grab. but always keep the rucksack light to keep it comfy on my back lol im getting old lol .

as for the bike I don't have heated gear etc hate power draw and cables lol , and bike prep was new air filter , oil change and fresh rubber and tubes and new rear pads .....that's it . oh and a good chain clean n lube .

im leaving may 28th / 29th at the moment for 3 to maybe 4 weeks v max . and starting the main trip from the badlands area then work my way up and around to whatever I wana see or where I wana head to lol I usually plan the night before for the next day ...altho I do have a rough idea n my head of route etc .

now its just waiting on my cot to arrive sorting my cards etc and cash , tweak my clothing a little and grab 3 or 4 mountain house or good to go meals , breakfast I have instant oats and coffee sachets .light n easy lol .

Ben
    rd400racer and DisqoG like this.
  15. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben
    That is light and furious!
    I’m always! overpacking. “Never know when you’ll need .....”
    I’m ditching a load of stuff for this weekend trip and I’ll see how much more I can cut when I get back.
    My GF figures on flying out to hang with me once or twice. I just realized she can bring something for me to wear out for whatever
    But, yeah, 5/28-29-30 is my thoughts. Let’s leave together (out Rt 80?) and see how that works out.
    George
  16. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my gear setup tent bag pad tiny gas stove combo pot cup top/pan.
    Waiting for an auto chain oiler from amazon
    With 1800 on plus 1200 or so this weekend I think I have enough rubber to get me out to the Canadian Rockies or past and then I’ll throw on some heavier riding shoes. Probably will need another set around the middle of the flip
  17. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very cool , I don't have the auto chain oiler so for me its the snapjack n lube everynight nit bad tho its a 15min job . you camp gear set up is good , don't for get a pillow !!!! it makes a difference especially camping a lot on the road , I got mine from eastern mountain sports the therma rest one that packs down , medium size it dammm comfy lol .

yeah your rubber will be fine but will defo need to change maybe mid way up . with clothes I pack or 4 days then wash every 5th day undies tho I have 6 just incase a moose or bear scares me hahahahaha . I have one light pair of sneakers for off the bike .

plan sounds good I will keep you updated on any changes etc to my schedule . tho 80 is good I will email my route I was looking at later ok .
    DisqoG likes this.
  18. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent this to your email
    ( it’s: [email protected] correct?)
    But wanted to add I tried the snapjack couldn’t do it with arthritis in my (you think you’re old??) 70 yo hands
    I also bought the
    https://www.eastbound.org/english-menu/product-info-motowinch/
    And I have a Givi toolbox with tools
    Tell you more later

Yo Def hear the pillow picked up a sweetie n/c just $7? Shipping - also have a couple more but free always tastes better
    I was planning 3 changes using mostly merino np 2 day stuff if needed
    Got a pr water shoes (4 athletes foot) and just a light pair of slipons. A pair of super light quick dry pants and I think I’ll leave the shorts. Swim trunks. 2 pair long johns 1 merino wool 1 capilene for layers and sleep
    Got to bring a fleece jacket/ hoodie and my heated jacket liner
    My camping gear including small ax/hammer, 10• bag & liner, pillow, flashlights and tent whisk/pan fills a MoskoMoto 25liter rolltop
    I have my water collapsing containers, must reduce toiletries bag and I maybe leave my iPad.
    I’ll see what’s what after this weekend.
    But hey call me this afternoon
    917-364-3635
    George - DisqoG

Sent from my iPhone
  19. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    did this happen ?

a f8 rider in the same town as me ???
    (i saw your 650 for sale and you located in bridgewater)
  20. ARCHER75

ARCHER75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey dpike , well kinda of happend i got to Montana then had to head back for a family issue . So had to cut trip short . Planning on going back and finishing next season . Yes I'm from Manville nj .