New Jersey to Saratoga California

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Switchglide12, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok folks I am leaving from NJ on June 21 have to be in CA June 29 latest 30th. I am planning to ride US-50 across. Google map shows in parts of CO and UT US-50 is I-70 is there way around this? Any thoughts????? I put in Montrose CO to Austin NV avoid highway in google maps, gives me 2 options.

1. US-50 North to CO-139 to CO-64 to 40 to 191 and US6 then back on to US-50

2. US-50 to CO-550 South to CO-62 to CO-145 to CO-90. CO-90 becomes UT-46 to 191N to US-6 then down to US-50.

I know you can't beat google map but I am optimistic that the fellow ADV riders are way better then any map out there including Google and Buttler.

2 riders bikes are GSA and RT so we want black top
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure of your start and stop points but basically looks like 2900 miles on I-80 or 3000 miles on I-70/50.

Requires and easily doable 375 miles per day for 8 days leaving 1 day for just because.

Only issue I see is second moto/rider doubles the chances of mechanical/illness/accident issues.
    That said I always enjoy company especially on coast to coast rides, I've made several.

Consult the Tent Space List as you move along if you need technical info or help or place to stay.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=42.911990013980535,-113.35789886522985&z=6

BTW if you pass thru Kansas City detour to Mission, Kansas and eat at RJ's BBQ.

If you have time stop and say hello when you get to Calif
    www.visitlodi.com

Safe Travels
    Doug
    Switchglide12 likes this.
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doug, RJ's BBQ just made the list. I am solo rider 99% of time, this trip I am riding with my baby brother for my 50th birthday. This trip is extra special for me. No we are not making any reservations at all we will see where we end up during lunch then decide where we will stop for the night. We are hoteling so credit card is already packed on the bike ready to go.
  4. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
    Interstate avoidance is a good thing, I try to do it as mush as practicable. Thst being said, if you aren't committed to a no-interstate route, I-70 through Colorado & Utah is incredible! Past Grand Junction take a 20 mile detour to ride/see the Colorado National Monument. Then take US 50 across Nevada (make certain you have gas).
    Fosters and Switchglide12 like this.
  5. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I-70 from Grand Junction CO to Selena, UT only part have to slab it. I google earth and street view of I-70 you are right it is beautiful.
  6. steiny

steiny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your trip ... I am riding Rt.50 to CA in Sept.

When in Cincy stop at 50 west brewing Good food and beer

https://fiftywestbrew.com/
  7. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip my brother is very big on micro brew beer. We will make sure to stop here then. Can't wait till Friday
  8. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
    This chunk of interstate was last one completed, in the 90's... and other than being 4 lanes wide, it is the very unlike any other interstate. We went up CO-69 from Walsenburg to Grand Junction last month to catch I-70W, returning to California from New Orleans. Beautiful ride, including getting snowed on going over Monarch Pass. Stop at Sargent's for gas & chow.
    Oops, I see you are probably on the road now. Have a great ride!
  9. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for suggestion. We are leaving this Friday afternoon.
  10. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
    Ah, I'm a week early then, er, premature. To continue to bore you with this, I-70 from the pass (Eisenhower Tunnel) on down is incredible as well. Toward the lower end, heading west, the road is cantilevered above the river so as to minimize changes to the canyon and it is awesome.

I gotta admit, after our 5500 mile run in May through that country, I am jonesin' for another road trip.
  11. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend Option1...The ride from Fruita, CO to Dinosaur is spectacular! If camping, Highline Lake State Park near Fruita is very nice with lots of shade...also, it's a little off your path, but Utah-35 from Duchesne to Francis is a treat as well...avoid as much of the Provo-Orem-Salt Lake City traffic corridor as you can at any rate...