New Kawasaki Versys 1000 in 2012

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Shouk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. lincRidez

lincRidez spaceman

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think, yeah a used one will be a great value. Which is cool, except I want one now :) Paying for one next year will be easier.

Now there are videos on Youtube of the new 650, I kind of like the green space bug from the future look :)
  2. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    any news about availability in the USA??
  3. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    It's on Kawasaki's US website so you should be able to buy it soon. Call your local Kawi dealer and see if they have one on order.

4. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We should be getting a price soon. NEC bike show is this weekend.

Just seen a price - £9800 GBP. Damn good value...
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. It WILL be sold in the US for the 2015 MY. I was at the Long Beach bike show this past weekend and it was there and available to be pawed over and sat upon. I did both. I really liked it a lot. I compared it to the new Yamaha FJ-09 and expected to like the Yamaha more, but surprisingly I greatly preferred the Kawi. I really liked it a great deal, however, Kawi should have included cruise control. In this day and age and compared to the competition, failing to include this as an option is not good.

No pricing at the show, but availability was a certainty. :deal
  6. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Any pix Kawidad?

And impressions of the feel? Feel big?

I'm on a DL650 and wondering how this stacks up ergo-wise...
  7. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why, i don't see nothing surprising here, in fact i'm surprised how folks can even consider FJ to be in the competitor list. Think they are ready to eat anything companies throw out. Just because they have tons of money.
  8. MoBill

Oddometer:
    The FJ is certainly a competitor. Not because of your pedestrian assessment, but because 100hp sport tourers make sense---I'm an itinerant commuter but I like that bike for a coupla reasons.

The FJ 09 is in the running....It might just work. And not because I'm some kinda mope with tons of cash.
  9. gonnagetthere

gonnagetthere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have "tons of money" but I do own a 2012 Versys that I thoroughly enjoy. I like what Kawasaki has done to update the Versys. Looking forward to learning more, and seeing the bike in the flesh at the coming bike shows. I may feel differently after those shows, but having ridden an FZ-09, and owned an FZ1, I certainly consider the FJ-09 a solid compeditor to the Versys 1000 at this point in time.
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. I didn't even think about it. I did take a few pix of other bikes, but not this one or the new 650 Versys. Which, BTW, is very nice too. :evil The 650 was kitted out with all of the factory touring accessories too.

It did "feel" a little bigger than the stroms, but not overly so. Egro wise, they are really similar, to me, with the nod going to the Versys. I didn't like the ergos on the FJ-9 at all. I thought the pegs were not positioned well and the reach too far to the bars. Also, the FJ seat was not nearly as nice. As to the cosmetics, I though the Kawi was better than either the Suzukis or the the Yamaha. Honestly, I don't like the fit and finish on the new V-Stroms. I think they look cheap, plastic-y and rather thrown together. Which goes for the FJ-09 too. Their touring accessories look awful and cheap. Lose lose.

If it had an integrated cruise control at whatever price point it is going to be, assuming it's reasonable, then it would be a winner. Without CC in this day and age, I'm not so sure.

I honestly don't understand your comment. These two bikes ARE direct competitors along with bikes from other manufacturers as well. This is a "new" sub category of bike that has been called road based adventure touring. These seem to make good sense to me and fills a void or niche that has arisen in the market.

I'd be interested in reading if you expand upon your comment and explain, because I'm not seeing it at all.:deal
  11. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If compare build quality and characteristics on paper, FJ is even better. But that is an awful design in comparison to the V's. Streetfighter and hardly more, built hurriedly around the engine with Fazer constantly in mind. And another Fazer it came out.

Me respect clever decisions, purely solo street bike for touring is not one of them. Try the Versys first and then compare your feel to what pedestrians think.
  12. MoBill

Oddometer:

Thank you comrade
  13. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that even less than your first post. :scratch
  14. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I make it very simple then -- Versys rules! :D
  15. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    :dunno
    tons of money.....the MT-09 Tracer will be around 2000 Euro less in Holland compared to the Versys 1000.

I am looking at a replacement for my Tiger 800 Roadie on the shortlist I have:
    Tiger 1050 Sport
    Versys 1000
    MT-09 Tracer

Tested the Tiger 1050 Sport, the old Versys1000 and the naked MT-09. I prefered the engines of the MT-09 and the Tiger 1050 over the Versys engine. The Tracer will be around 40 kg ligther than the other 2 and a damn sight cheaper. I like the looks of the new Versys 1000 but not so much as to spend 2000 Euro because of it.....I have the whole winter to decide.:evil
  16. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now THAT I understand. :ricky
  17. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it's pretty much useless bike in touring category, so basically you throw money out to the wind. The difference from the simple MT is so minor that is prob not even worth mentioning. Engines good, agreed. But imo not so much good to feel it for long time with a naked butt.
  18. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    Compared to the naked MT-09 the Tracer has a higher seat height (by 30mm in the lowest setting), so more leg room. I can assure you that has a big impact, with my Tiger 800 the difference between the lower and higher seat position is 25 mm, you most definately notice that. Other than that the Tracer has better wind protection and higher bars, making it much more comfortable imo.

I have no problem with the fact that you love the Versys1000, but your assumptions on the Tracer vs the standard MT-09 are bollocks :deal
  19. MoBill

Oddometer:
    He's bein' a douchepump. I checked a few of his 318-mighty posts. He's just being a handjob.

I'm not saying he IS one of those. This isn't JoMomma, I mean, it's not against regulations to THINK a superior officer is an asshole. Down here, in beasts, I'd never say something like that. I'm just thinking.
  20. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well okay then.

:eek1