New Kawasaki Versys 1000 in 2012

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Shouk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these bikes in the US yet?
  2. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, saw one at the local dealer 2 days ago. Looked good in all black. Also noted that it said it had a two year warranty rather than the one year that most Kawasaki's have in the US.
  3. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Heres my gen1 at death valley la christmas

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nDcVluqV4t0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. gonnagetthere

gonnagetthere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good one jfman...but don't you know the Versys 1000 is not a beast. :D
  5. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never got that memo :huh

Here it is crossing a river in Copper Canyon

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2gCM6oshEaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's some brave riding on that big girl Jfman!:clap
    I have been sort of looking at a Versys1000...the version you have.
    Not for off road, but very comfy ergos.
    Do you have stock suspension?
    Got a CBF1000 now...I like it but it is a little cramped for me.
    Need to be back on an "Adventure" platform.
    The new 2015 is really interesting, but a little spendy.
  7. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I have stock suspension but the wheels have been replaced. The front is still a 17in but from a C14 because I kept bending the OE wheel. The rear is an 650 rear wheel so I can run 150 tires on it.
  8. gonnagetthere

Oddometer:
    :clap Glad you never got that memo jfman.

I never got it either, but I don't have vids like that. :freaky
  9. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spent two days riding the 2015 Versys 1000 and 650 in Spain with Kawasaki - personally I had no issues with suspension, didn't hear any negative comments from other riders either (and a few of them knew what they were doing ...........)

[​IMG]
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

That comment was a while back, before I got to sit on one. I was just going on what I'd read and heard. I have since sat on it and (from what little you can sort of tell from a sit at the dealer) it seems to be a nice compromise for street handling and comfort. It wasn't as taught and firm as the V2 beside it, for sure. That may, or may not, be a good thing, depending on one's 'druthers. I very much like both of them. We shall see. Along w/the new GSX-S1K, yet to be seen and tested.
  11. Azmo

Azmo beginner

Oddometer:
    So, just a small report of (already ex-)owner of 2012 Versys 1000:

We spent 49000+ km together (like 30000 miles). I drove from Moscow to Nordkapp via the Lofotens, from Moscow to Zurich via the Italian Alps and generally used the bike for everyday commuting. I was totally pleased and never lacked anything (just, maybe, less fuel consumption on 160 kmh, not to say I was driving often with that speed).
    For these 30k miles the only problem I had was a leak of the right seal in the fork. That happened at the 20k miles approx. Apart from that, i was just replacing oil and, sometimes, chain with stars.
    Oh, and stock tires definitely suck. Replace them with Pilot Road 3 for example and you will immediately feel the difference.
    I decided that I need more power at the lower range and traded my kawa for 1200gs. We'll see if I would miss my big guy.
  12. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my take on the Versys vs the FJ-09 from another thread.

I wanted badly to like the FJ. The triple wail and the low end torque were a heavy draw. My dealer had a demo FJ and a new Versys on the floor.

He let me take the FJ out for a ride. I was given a chance to go out for a long ride. It took no more than a couple of miles to determine this was not my next bike. They talk about the vibration of the Versys but the FJ was buzzy as hell. The screen in the highest position still let too much air past and even with ear plugs in the noise was uncomfortable. The heel of my boot hit the exhaust in my normal riding position. It had plenty of power and the suspension seemed OK. It just didn't fit.

I was given a chance to put a few miles on the Versys even though it wasn't a demo. I put seven miles on the Kawasaki and came back and made an offer. I have only been able to put 300 miles on the bike due to snow and work and have no regrets. The engine is smooth although I haven't spent any time at high RPM. She runs 65 MPH at the 4000 RPM break in requirements. The screen in it's highest position puts the air stream just at the top of my helmet with no serious noise and smooth air flow. The extra weight has not bothered me and the bike handles just fine in the mountains. I am still running the dealer set suspension settings and so far so good. This is the first bike that the stock screen, mirrors and seat seem to be fine from the factory.

If you are looking for a 17 inch tired sport/touring bike that is fun in the twisties and seems to be set up fine for long days in the saddle, I think this is the one.
  13. gonnagetthere

Oddometer:
    Dealer crashing numbers. Will let me know what it will cost if I trade my '12 for a '15. See what he says, but suspect it will be too much for me to make the jump. Just don't think the changes Kawi made justify the additional expense. Nuthin wrong with my '12 it's a great bike. Do like the look of the '15, but other than that, '12 is just too close to '15.