New KLX230 vs Honda CRF250L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dcfield, Sep 10, 2019.

1. dcfield

dcfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this is a bit early, as the new Kawasaki model is just getting to US dealers. I still haven't seen any road tests or owner reviews (at least not in English, the bike has been out overseas for a little while).

But how will it compare to the Honda CRF250L? Both have EFI and optional ABS brakes. The Honda has a slightly larger engine, but it weighs about 40lbs more.

Could any new KLX230 owners please post their experiences? Anyone have any links to actual reviews? (please don't post "reviews" that just parrot back the Kawasaki press release).

Meanwhile, any thoughts on how these two bikes might compare? I'll go first - it appears that the factory cargo rack on the KLX230 bolts directly to the main frame, so maybe carrying heavier loads won't result in the cracked subframe issues that CRF250Ls seem prone to.

BTW - Will the new KLX push Honda into making a CRF300L? Pretty much all Honda would have to do is swap out the crankshaft from a Rebel 300 (they could continue making the 250 for countries with licensing/insurance limits that favor 250's).
  2. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The little KLX looks more aimed at the Yamaha XT250 or DR200 to my eye - the 250L seems to be more at odds with Kawi's own 250, in terms of capability and especially roadworthiness (but that might be my own bias as I use a 250L as a touring bike)
    Jimo368 and Rogue_Ryder like this.
  3. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Kawi is currently where Honda was a decade ago with the air cooled 230cc dualsport.
    https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2009-honda-crf230l-ar68215.html
    you can see some specs on the KLX here:
    https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/06/21/2020-kawasaki-klx230-first-look-11-fast-facts/

Sure the Kawi 230 has EFI and that may or may not be a benefit depending on your preference. Considering that the 2020 KLX is the same price as the 2009 CRF230L was in 2009 makes it a real bargain!

RE: The KLX300
    Honda definitely won't be pushed into doing anything due to Kawasaki re-introducing the KLX300 (The 2020 bike is more of a refreshed 1990s era bike than an all new bike); the CRF250X and CRF250RX are already "better" bikes, but they cost far more. For the casual trail rider I honestly think the KLX300 is where the smart money is, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and KTM don't offer anything that is comparable at that price point. If Consumer Reports rated Dirt Bike it'd be a "Best Buy"; but even as good as it is for the money you won't see them flying out of the dealerships. Most guys want the race bred bikes and will either buy a used KTM for $5500 or finance the $11,000 new race oriented bike and then bitch about spending $1,000 to have the suspension revalved because the racing oriented valving is too harsh.
  4. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rouge has good points and I like EFI so I am glad to see the 230 come out because it also is a 6 speed. The budget suspension may be the deal breaker and I am aware of that, but I am keeping a close eye on the KLX300 as well although I rather it be street legal from the factory. If it were it would most likely be my next bike. For now I will wait and see what they're actually like in person, but the KLX230 is much closer to the CRF230L than the CRF250L for sure which is a KLX250 competitor.

I don't think Kawasaki believes they're in the same class either. I can see the need for an air cooled EFI like the XT250, the KLX230 is almost a modern Super Sherpa if it had better suspension. Yamaha makes the WR and XT and both sell alright, I know I've had both. The 230 may be better than the XT if its done right. Some people want the simplicity of air cooled engines, so it will do alright since its fairly priced and price sells in a lot of cases. That's why I think the 300 will do well too, not great, just well for the price.
  5. dcfield

dcfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may be right. But I'm looking at the fact that Kawasaki didn't just add ABS brakes (required for sales in Europe), but invested in a new ABS system. And they have a decent sized optional cargo rack. This sounds like the makings of a good commuter or weekend camping bike. Of course, they also have only a 2 gal fuel tank, so they weren't aiming at the touring/Adventure bike crowd. Maybe trying for a more dirt capable, lower cost companion to the Versys 300?
  6. dcfield

dcfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the top speed is about 110~115 kph. I'd guess the more realistic top cruising speed is closer to 100 kph. So, in American terms, it's going to cruise at 60 mph and top out at 70. Now, maybe the engine wasn't broken in yet, maybe you could gain a little bit by changing a sprocket? But basically it looks 10 mph slower than a CRF250L.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8C646045E1EE1274551B8C646045E1EE&&FORM=VRDGAR
  7. dcfield

dcfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a Review I found on YouTube:

Text version:

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/2020-kawasaki-klx230-review/

It sounds like the KLX230 may only be a bit slower than a CRF250L, with a top speed of 77 mph. Still not sure of it's realistic highway cruising speed or if it would keep up with a CRF either on the street or off-road. Since it weighs less, that might offset having a smaller engine.

I sat on one at my local dealer. It's noticably smaller than the CRF250L, although it felt just as tall to sit on. It looks like it would be easier to work on, although I haven't seen any details of how to reach the oil filter or if it has shimed or screw and locknut valve adjustment. It certainly seems easier to reach the engine without as many plastic panels in the way. I didn't check the owner's manual for recommended service intervals.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  8. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    The rear rack looks like it would be pretty stout but, Kawasaki's web page says the rack is only rated at 6.5LBS. so cracked subframe better not be an issue.
  9. dcfield

dcfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's really limited to 6.5 lbs of cargo, that ends my interest in it. One of my requirements for a bike is that it can be a functional second vehicle. And that means running errands and occasionally going grocery shopping.

I've never understood why the rear seat is rated to carry a 120 lb passenger, but carrying a gallon of milk and a 5 lb bag of sugar on the factory luggage rack will break the frame on the same bike? I mean, in third world countries, small motorcycles and scooters are used to carry a family of four. They are literally used to carry furniture and livestock.

cargoscooter.jpg

Now, obviously, some bikes have a rear sub-frame that was only ever intended to support the rear fender (and tail lights and license plate). And Americans generally use cars and pickup trucks to carry stuff whereas, in many countries, a small motorcycle or scooter may be the only motor vehicle that a family or small business owns.

But most modern modern motorcycles are designed to be sold worldwide. And even motorcycles sold in the US would be vastly more practical if they could carry a reasonable amount of cargo. Yeah, yeah, I know. A luggage rack would spoil the looks of your custom cruiser. But dual sport motorcycles, for example, would compete more with ATV's if they could carry a reasonable amount of cargo.