New KTM 690r enduro serious revisions for 2019 !

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rider69, Jan 7, 2019.

1. rider69

rider69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • NEW Dynamic LC4 single-cylinder engine with less vibration and more power featuring electronic fuel injection, Ride-by-Wire technology, dual balancer shafts, PASC slipper clutch and 6-speed gearbox.
    • NEW styling based on the EXC family for a more aggressive look and enhanced ergonomics.
    • NEW chassis for optimized rider feel and control with a lower seat (910 mm / 35.8 in) while keeping the same suspension travel.
    • Fully-adjustable WP XPLOR suspension with separate damping circuits and 250 mm (9.8 in) of travel for the best offroad suspension on the market.
    • Cylinder head with dual ignition featuring individual timing control for optimal combustion.
    • Stainless steel exhaust with catalytic converter.
    • Ultra-light chrome-molybdenum trellis frame.
    • Self-supporting polymer rear fuel tank.
    • High quality Brembo braking system combined with lightweight waved discs.
    • Technology-leading Cornering ABS with Offroad mode (to disengage rear ABS) for hard braking under all circumstances and the Quickshifter+ for smooth clutchless shifting.
    • Motorcycle traction control (MTC), motor slip regulation (MSR) and Street and Offroad ride modes that can be switched directly from the handlebars for controlled power delivery.
    • KTM-690-Enduro-R-dual-sport.jpg
    • http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ktm-adds-a-little-adventure-to-the-2019-ktm-690-enduro-r/
    Dakar Dan likes this.
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's a new gearbox

Same narrow 6-speed as for all these years

Which is a big shame IMO
    Fabnut and rufus like this.
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Looks good.
    Bigger tank?
  4. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere 13L
  5. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigger tank :thumb
    Quick shift (no more false neutrals) :thumb
    Proper suspension :thumb
    690 duke motor and rubber mounted bars means even less vibes :thumb
    Slightly lower seat height :thumb

Due on the floor in April 2019 ... I’m definitely interested in a potential upgrade.

Pricing anyone?
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    4cm lower than the Husky - both frame, and less suspension travel front and back

Seems to be the more street-focussed version
    Big Willy likes this.
  7. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this just the cam- counterbalanced engine that the 701 and Duke got a couple of years ago? Great donk but way overdue.
    Looks like it may be a candidate for a Nomad or similar rally fairing, which would cane the Yam T7’s prospects and maybe steal some 790Adv sales from it’s own bigger brother.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be the 701 motor

But does the 701 have quick-shift and all that electronic wizardry? - will quick-shift correct the false neutrals, or do you just quick-shift into neutral? - either way, false neutrals may not be an issue for these bikes anymore - i.e. just the older models

A bit porky at 146kg dry - but the Husky is 145kg wet without fuel, so not much difference (if any) ...

500EXC is circa 30kg lighter - close to the same HP - just add tank and a small fairing ...
    Farmer Roy and Cruz like this.
  9. rider69

rider69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 500exc doesn't have service intervals of 10,000klm ,exc eplor 48s runs rings around them husky 4cs ktm leftovers , you can raise it back up if you wanted full travel , problem will be waiting for the aftermarket industry to catch up to the changes , hopefully some of the gear available will work , like the airbox relocation front 5,5liter tank kit to extend range to 300-350klm, or rally fairing kit with better lighting ,,as for the gearbox issues proof will be in the pudding ,test ride first ,
  10. rider69

rider69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pricing $15:990 + on road i was told but dont quote me ,
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never went past about 2500km between oil changes - always very thin and black at that interval - that was a 2012 690, and maybe things have changed

But it was in part why I started wondering what the advantages of it really were

Motor longevity was on average barely any better than a 500EXC - certainly less predictable - again, things may have changed
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  12. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 500 Exc is $1000 cheaper before you have to add the long range tank and cush hub, so they're the same price.

One will do singletrack better and the other will do more open roads and touring (incl. luggage) better. Depends on what you're after really ... different bikes.
    DustyWheels and Hoots like this.
  13. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    A cush hub on the 500EXC would make it nice and reasonably smooth on the hard top, couldn't imagine it being a problem to ride decent klms on it. How many klms are you going to ride on that thin seat on the 690?
    _20190109_172045.JPG
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    500EXC probably is Ok on singletrack - very versatile for a big bike

And unbeatable on pretty much any sort of fire trail

Plenty of people adventurise them, carry luggage and do a lot of gravel / desert riding

The 500's gearbox is almost 30% wider than the 690's (ridiculous but true) so it actually lopes along better than the 690 over transport legs

Seriously, what actually is the advantage of a 690 - 30+ kg heavier / weaker suspension / etc … ?

Not trolling at all - I spent a lot of money on a 690, and afterwards wished I hadn't - it was a lot of fun sliding around on gravel roads, but otherwise a bit disappointing - and its weight meant that pretty much every off resulted in expensive repairs - looked great in pics …

IMG_1759.JPG
    59DEN, SuzyMoto, GodSilla and 5 others like this.
  15. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    Put my order in November. Told that delivery will be April at slightly higher price than current model. They have been discounting lately to clear current stock.First trip Innaminka,Darwin, Broom, Kunnawaridji,Carnegie, Gunbarrel Alice Mt Dare and back to Gawler
  16. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Looks like they're filling a gap for the average Joe Blow who feels safer when his feet can touch the ground, bit like the earlier black frame 690's.

Very astute of KTM as anyone who wants more enduro will buy the Husky which no doubt will shortly get the Xplor suspension once they've used up all the old stock so they're covering the market
    Dukehunt and Gonc like this.
  17. mountandsea

mountandsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A cheap Airhawk strapped to any average seat and a pair of cycle shorts under your daks should make any long haul ok
    If that fails - a teaspoon of cement with breakfast should do it :D
    59DEN and Farmer Roy like this.
  18. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent the cash on all the mods you need on the 690 and it goes everywhere I can on an exc-f ... maybe a bit slower (with my ability) but it does single track pretty well. It’s a good reccy bike to find enduro loops for the exc.

I ride maybe 300km on road there and back and it does that well too. The extra weight makes it a lot less twitchy at speed and on the road. The new suspension should be better for off-road (the old one still has horrible high speed rebound even after mods). I’ve found 250mm travel enough. 300mm on an exc is nice if you’re riding whoops at 60kph+ ... but do you really need 300mm for Adv rides if it means the ground gets further away from your feet?

Never really missed the 25mm travel between my 2012 690 and my 2015.

For me the 690 is a good compromise between the ‘ready to race’ exc and a bigger Adv bike.

The advantage? Who knows ... what’s the advantage of anything?
    felixblack1 and DazRSV like this.
  19. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:

I found the best thing about more suspension travel is that it seems to be plusher anywhere in the stroke :clap
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    After scoring a ride on an inmates 690, I honestly couldn't see much difference to my 640, and I can recall stepping off it and thinking "nice, but what's the point?".
    That sums it up for me, why add F.I. and mess with perfectly good suspension when the existing model already does the same function with better springing and a reliable simple carby? When KTM moved to the 690 motor they lost sales, partly to their own larger models, but partly because they lost direction a bit IMHO.
    prestonpaul, DazRSV and Cruz like this.