New KTM 990 Model, Fuel Efficiency & Engine Design

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Rockwell, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread probably could have been split into a few different threads, but these topics are somewhat intertwined.

I bought a brand new 990 Adventure back in 2009. It was my first bike, and the only bike I have ever owned. I've been in love with it ever since. I've grown attached to this bike. We've been through some things together, and we've found things to do in stormy weather, and all that stuff. It has taken me halfway around the world, and I now have close to 100,000 km on it. During a short trip last year, I experienced engine problems that I have yet to attempt to diagnose and repair (since I really have no idea what I am doing). My goal is to tackle this issue this winter and hopefully I can get the bike back on the road for next year. However, there is the possibility that I will not be able to repair it, and, even if I do, I am beginning to accept that this bike will not last forever.

I saw on the Advrider home page that KTM will be licencing the LC8 to a Chinese manufacturer. This doesn't mean that we will see another 990 Adventure model from KTM. This more likely means that KTM is retiring the LC8 for use in bikes that it designs and manufactures. However, I would love to eventually see an updated version of my bike. The only thing that I felt that could be improved upon was fuel efficiency. This would likely require a redesigned engine, which brings me to my questions:
    1. Could we conceivably see a new 990 model in the future with an updated engine?
    2. What factors in the design on an engine affect fuel efficiency? Looking at the 990 models and comparing to the 1290 models, the LC8 is less fuel efficient than the 1290 engines, despite being smaller and less powerful.
    3. How long are parts for my 2007 model likely to be available from KTM?
    mountaincadre likes this.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    well, the updated version of the 990 is the 790.

i dont think we'll be seeing any other 990 style bikes from anyone.
    the liscensed 990 engine is going to mean use in other bikes, but prolly not 990 adv clones and it means we should be able to get chinese parts for them for a long time.

hopefully quality will be up to snuff.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  3. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken, Euro rules say that there must be spare parts available for at least 10 years after last year production.
    So we'll be fine for the next 5 years.
  4. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    You HAVE heard of the 790, right?
  5. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I haven't read a ton about it regarding specs, etc. But how is the 790 a 990 replacement, as opposed to the 1090? I know there's more to a moto than just engine displacement, but isn't there still place for a 1000 cc engine and what the 990/950 offered?
  6. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    790 is 990 replacement for people who found the 990 too big / heavy
    1090 is 990 replacement for people who didn't find the 990 too big / heavy

??
  7. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Based on that, both seem like alternatives more than a replacement.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bike will last as long as you want it to. Yours is an 07?
    Probably just needs a go-through. Does it snow up there? Plenty of time.
    Valve check, clean injectors, fuel filters, TPS set, new map, throttle sync, plugs, etc... then good for another 60k miles.

You should try my map for your bike. Friends are getting over 40 mpg with it.
    Look for the 07 TuneECU thread, pg 11.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/07-tuneecu-map-reviews-and-musings.1233761/
  9. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    the 1x90 bikes are different animals,,,,

the 790 design and build from KTM is very similar in principal to the 9x0. the goal of both was to make the most off road capable twin they could.

now you can argue Dakar as the reason, and it was, but Meoni did so many changes and modifications to KTM's production bike that it was almost another bike. wich btw is what team Kapriony for exampe is doing to KTM's production design now.

the 790 is almost deja vu.
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 950 Adventure is the different animal. It was a Dakar race bike first, then a street bike later. Rumor was the first 03 950 Adv used 85% of the same parts as the race bike.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  11. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    Meoni's heavily modified versions for testing the platform were the race bikes. KTM was building a twin for production way before that.

we could argue symantics but it was only a race bike first in that Meoni's test bed were heavily modified versions of what was to be the production run.

the ktm v twin engine dates back to 1992,,, when design team called Kraft or something put two LC4's together in a 60* configuration. the engine was revisited in 96 and again in 98 when the 75* engine was accepted for production by KTM. it was also sometime right in there that KTM took on all design and build in house.

in 2000 the first 950 adventure was built and shown at the Milan show. Stefan didnt like it and wanted a redesign, but they did keep the engine and chassis at that point, so KTM had the 950 adventure in 2000.

Enter Meoni, KTM approached him a deal they still dont talk much about, but it only took a year and in 2001 Meoni was testing the bike in tunisia, then racing a modified version won Pharoans, then dominated Dakar. Meoni's bike was always a heavily modified version of the production 950,,,, they were being designed in unisen. in 03 the first production bikes rolled out of the plant, yeah, they shared about 80% of Meonis testbed, but thats because Meoni modified about 20% of the production prototype.

so, i'll maintain the 790 is the replacement for the 9x0 in that they were designed in the spirit of the 9x0, rather than a progression in bigger more street oriented bikes that are the 1x90's :D
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  12. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    CaseyB, 2 SPOT and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  14. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Yes. It's an '07. I have some engine work to do from maybe a blown head gasket, so I will spend this winter looking into that, then probably do all of those other things. I'll look for that thread and upload the map as well. Wish me luck on the engine repair. I have no idea what I'm doing, but, that could be said for most things that I do.
  15. Rockwell

Oddometer:
  16. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep dreaming.
  17. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I will.
    Zuber likes this.
  18. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    :raabia
  19. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    I still honestly don't get where you want this discussion to go, bro?

You mention that you want a redesigned more efficient version of the LC8, which is the LC8c in the 790 ADV, right?

If you don't want a new engine and want to stick with the v-twin and you don't have trouble with the weight, you can still buy the larger LC8 engined ADV bikes, they weight similar to your current 990.
    nomeranger7 and 2 SPOT like this.
  20. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    I just thought it was an interesting video and comparison.
    gnat likes this.