New Long-Range Energica Eva Ribelle Electrifies Streetfighter Game

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by jas67, Nov 8, 2019.

1. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  2. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jas67 likes this.
  3. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the Energica website (energicamotorusa.com) and look at the seats on the EsseEsse9, and even the Ego, in pure side views. Both relatively flat. Now look at the slope of the seat on the Ribelle. Guaranteed to get your goodies gouged on the back end of the tank, and prevents any shifting about for comfort.

If you like the Ribelle, think hard about a different seat. An EsseEsse9 seat will likely fit, but requires some matching bodywork pieces. An expensive fix no matter how you go about it. What were they thinking?
  4. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    By all reports the Energica Eva variants are fine motorcycles under most conditions. I have pointed out that they are extremely heavy (a fully-gassed ZX14 is almost 30 lbs. lighter), so much so that Energica is embarrassed to include the curb weight figures on their website. (What other manufacturer leaves out weight in their specs?) It's probably not an issue if you typically ride no more vigorously than 6 or 7 tenths. But sometimes you need everything your bike has. I haven't seen any reports of how Energicas perform under duress until now. This is from https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/energica/2018-energica-eva-esse-esse-9-review.html :

About the weight
    While the motor’s output did a good job of masking the Esse Esse 9’s 621-pound curb weight, the bike’s heft was clearly noticeable in both the braking and handling departments.

[​IMG]
    Premium components abound – from the Marzocchi fork to the OZ Racing wheels. The giant 330mm Brembo discs are necessary to haul the bike’s heft down from speed.

Like all Energicas, the Esse Esse 9 has a pair of 330mm discs squeezed by radial-mounted, four-piston Brembo M432 calipers. Although Troy and I chose different kinds of roads for our performance testing (I hit the swoopy Angeles Crest Highway and Troy rode in a tighter, twistier, point-and-shoot environment), we came to similar conclusions. First, the big discs and premium calipers were a must because of the mass that needed to be slowed. Second, the Esse Esse 9 tended to stand up under trail braking and preferred that corner speed be set early so that the throttle could be applied.

”The twin 330mm discs and Brembo calipers work especially hard to slow the motorcycle. Now I know that 621lbs is what it takes to make 330mm discs and Brembo calipers feel average in stopping power. What I found weird was that the SS9 feels like its weight is slightly biased towards the rear, so I was quite heavy on both front and rear brakes trying to slow her down.” Notes Troy, ”Since the bike tends to stand up when trail braking, I would drag the rear brake through a turn if I really had to shed some speed.”

[​IMG]
    Look closely at the Bitubo shock, and you’ll see that the rebound damping is turned all the way to slow. Still, it couldn’t prevent boinginess after the suspension was fully compressed over a G-out bump.

In most situations, the suspension was able to handle the bike’s weight. On single bumps – or even stutter bumps – the suspenders did a good job of keeping the chassis from becoming unsettled. However, hit a G-out compression-type bump at speed, and the Bitubo shock’s rebound circuit simply wasn’t able to handle the recoil from a fully compressed rear suspension. This was even with the rebound set to full slow. The Marzocchi 43mm inverted fork was better able to handle this kind of bump, which we attribute to the rearward weight bias of the bike.

We're still not there in terms of doing everything really right as well as some ICE motorcycles can. There isn't an example of EM sweet perfection like the Street Triple or a few others are for ICE bikes. I will be forever grateful to Energica, Zero, Brammo, even Lightning (if they ever get their act together) for putting EMs on the map, but it still looks like it's going to take Yamaha, Triumph, Kawasaki or some other major player to make the real magic happen. And when that happens, all those brave souls who blazed the trail for others to follow might very well be left in the dust.

It's not fair, and it doesn't have to be this way. Somewhere out there is someone who can get this right. It looked like Lightning might be the one with the Strike, but now they have years ahead of them before anyone can fully trust them. This is doable. Someone please do it.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.