1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Long-Range Energica Eva Ribelle Electrifies Streetfighter Game

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by jas67, Nov 8, 2019.

1. wobolly

wobolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    621lbs, yikes.
  2. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    I know.
    But it doesn't feel like that at all. Feels lighter than bmw 1100RS I had long time ago and got rid of it asap.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  3. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few of the 2020 bikes with the bigger battery have started being delivered. I hope someone can test the range in different scenarios. If I just hold it steady at 60 mph or even 55 mph, can I do 150 miles in one go?
  4. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Until California starts to open up and the trucking industry is willing to move bikes everything is on hold. The bikes are in port there right now and one of them is mine.
  5. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 21kw weighs less, 570 lbs for the SS9+ they claim. That’s still a lot, but more equivalent to Zero with a “charge tank” extra battery, but hopefully with a lower center of gravity. I’ve ridden the older, heavier SS9, which handled very well and the extra weight was not noticeable except at really low speed. Looking forward to trying the newer version as they trickle into the US.

Edit: actually it weighs 608 lbs. Now that I have one I’m getting used to the weight pretty quickly.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Sat on one of these ( not the Eva ) back in 2017 and could not believe how top heavy it was. Had to have my buddy hold the bike as I was just putting it back down on the kickstand, nice fit & finish but not for me.
  7. Redblock06

Redblock06 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had my 2020 SS9 since March. I got the 13.4 Kw model for $16,000 out the door. What a great bike. Yeah she is heavy, but once she starts moving you really don't notice it. Sort of like a bike ADV bike. The DC fast charging network in growing in Northern VA, so range anxiety is not really a problem. You just have to map out your rides. I have had some problems at DC charging sites (mainly their issue not the bike) which required calling customer service. We always got things worked out. I looked at both the Zero SR/F and the SS9 (it is named after a road in Italy), but the ability to DCFC and Level 2 charge standard was what sold me. I am located in Northern VA. If you want to check one out, let me know. I am also working with the company as Brand Missionary. The 21Kw bikes are amazing.
    voltsxamps, Carlisja, jimmex and 2 others like this.
  8. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, it is good to hear from someone who actually has this bike. It sounds like something I'd be happy with as a daily rider!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    C1965624-CC30-4963-B41A-455449C2C643.jpeg 7961826A-F7BA-4A8A-B3EA-02C0A7E31E18.jpeg 4A0AAE87-EB48-4692-A6D6-BC98488B08D0.jpeg C77043E3-B88A-4DAC-8729-600323800FCF.jpeg
    I test rode all these big boys.. the Ego, SS9, the Eva Ribelle, the SR/F, the EmpulseTT, and the clear winner for me was the Enérgica Eva Ribelle 21.5.

4A459916-4741-40C6-B894-F7983A963415.jpeg

So much so, I ordered one in Red.

BD927C31-FD76-47EE-AE6D-F37D048B027E.png
    ^ minus the $2368 Fed & $750 CA rebate

It’s very very quick, sounds amazing, felt more nimble and lighter than any of the other bikes I tested, had the best regenerative braking and ABS, best suspension, best range by far(up to 400km/250mi), has the quickest acceleration, best display, best bms, best fit/finish, best cooling system, best braking, fastest charging by far, best rider position(for me), best looking (for me), the best sound (my opinion), and has all the safety options and convenience features I was looking for: flashing brake lights upon deceleration, Bosch/eABS combo, selectable traction control, selectable riding modes, cruise control, keyless ignition, heated grips, windscreen, pannier bags, reverse mode, even shows nearest charging locations on the display, and boy is that Italian design sexy.

As most of you know, I’ve been researching my next electric motorcycle for 4+ years, and the Eva Ribelle has the best combination of what I’m looking for. The SR/F was my second choice, and while it has a great warranty and a large number of dealers, there really wasn’t much else persuading me to get it. The slower charging and smaller battery compared the Enérgica were two of the main reasons I didn’t feel it was the bike for me. By the time I add the power tank, the price is more than the Ribelle and it weighs nearly as much with none of the other benefits.

If Zero were to increase its range, it’s performance, and it’s charge speed without increasing its MSRP, then I feel it would be a good contender to the Enérgica’s. EmpulseTT’s can be had for a bargain, but unable to come close to newer electrics by comparison and dealer/warranty support is non existent, and speaking of which, Lightning’s (another bike I strongly considered on paper) are still unicorns. Excited like many of us were, not going to wait any longer for Strike’s to be produced. The Ego is beautiful, but I’m done riding super sports, and the SS9’s rider position wasn’t to my liking as it’s more upright and relaxed, so it was either the SR/F or the Ribelle, and when it came to the basics.. range, charge speed, and performance, it was easily in Enérgica’s favor.

C4B0592A-7C94-418C-92FF-F7D071CBA052.jpeg

The bike is the closest to my Performance Tesla on two wheels in many respects. It doesn’t hurt that the red matches too :raabia
    666, jas67, Bluesmudge and 2 others like this.
  10. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Congrats! You make a great case for the Eva. The e-motorcycles are getting more and more competitive with ICE bikes all the time. 250 miles range is awesome.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    also worth noting, the SR/F has 110hp, 35 less than the equivalently priced Eva Ribelle, and the battery capacity on the Enérgica is roughly 60% larger by comparison.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the one I'm interested in as well. Look forward to more reports on what it is like to ride.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  13. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how you can say the Eva is more nimble and lighter than the EmpulseTT. The EmpulseTT weighs only 475lbs. You think the Empulse is heavy when you ride one, then hop on the Energica then back on the Empulse and you'll be surprised how much smaller the Empulse is. That being said the Energicas fit my body size better. I've ridden both and if you stop and lean the bike you will feel that weight. The Empulse is much smaller and lighter than the Eva. That being said its not nearly as fast as I see the Energicas blaze past me at Laguna Seca.

I have not gotten to ride the larger capacity version though so who knows might feel lighter than my Empulse.

[​IMG]

I got to sit on this one but didn't get to ride it, didn't really feel much different. I guess if you sat on the older Eva then this newer one you'd notice a slight different in weight but I guess it must feel lighter when riding...
    [​IMG]
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Every other electric is lighter, I’ll give you that. But the magic is how the geometry, rake, rider position, suspension, wheelbase, weight distribution, crazy smart real-time stabilization, eABS, and anti-rear kick out work together to make the bike feel effortless once moving past 5mph. It’s the same way my near-5000lb Performance Model S out accelerates and out corners cars weighing 1/2 as much. It’s the sum of the parts and thoughtful engineering that make it feel nimble and light when you are the pilot. It’s of no coincidence that of all submitted entries, Enérgica was selected to exclusively supply bikes for Moto E.

Personally, I could not attack corners as easily without compromising stability on the TT. Regenerative braking is noticeably stronger(selectable) compared to the next best e bike I’ve ridden, the SR/F/S twins and other reviewers have noticed that the suspension and ABS are noticeably smoother than the premium Zeros, and it’s safe to say that the SR/F/S twins surpass all categories compared to a TT.

Up until the point where I rode a Zero SR/F and Enérgica, I didn’t feel comfortable riding any big electric aggressively as the TT didn’t feel planted, stability in corners did not inspire confidence, and turn in wasn’t linear for me. Did I want to like it? Absolutely. I felt that it was, and still is, a great looking bike, and felt that it was a bargain to be had when Victory dropped prices around 8k at the time I was considering one. The bike felt a bit top heavy to me when I dipped it in the corners and the transmission & gear shifting felt unnecessary as you could just it in 3rd all day. In all, I felt like Brammo was trying to do too much, but I understood the effort to try to appeal to those who like to shift.

That said, everything I said above is of my own opinion and is not to suggest that someone else doesn’t love their TT and can disagree with everything I just said- and that’s okay. It just wasn’t the bike for me. Might’ve been better for Victory to never have purchased it and allow Brammo to evolve from the TT as I felt they had good momentum early on around the same time Zero was just breaking out, but feel that they priced themselves out of the market with the initial asking price and the idea of shifting an electric never caught on, and only added weight, complexity, and cost. Money and engineering that should’ve been spent on suspension, electronic stabilization, and rider dynamics. Shame, though, as I really felt it was a bike that could’ve been a hit.

On the SR/F and more so on the Ribelle, I felt much more comfortable just getting on with it. Twist, lean, go. There was almost no learning curve. In fact, I started out in sport mode and gave it the beans and it launched to 60 from a standstill in something like 3s flat and back to a slower speed quicker than expected and it never made me feel nervous or felt that the bike was heavy. If I didn’t know that they weigh about 568lbs, I wouldn’t believe it. Turn in was light feeling as the bike was so smooth in its transitions, even at really low speeds, like in a cul de sac (I have a video of me doing just that actually) and right away it felt similar to my FZ-07 when it came to nimbleness and that bike is 400lbs wet.

in fairness, I can’t say the same so much about the first gen Enérgica’s.. something about the geometry, additional weight, or combination of both, but I definitely felt the weight more on those bikes. It’s magic (not really, they just greatly reduced weight in the battery housing) that they increased capacity by ~60% and lowered weight by ~5%, increased performance while lowering MSRP.

Personally, the only Enérgica to ride or buy imo are the new 21.5kWh models (though there are some great deals on the 13.4kWh models) and unless you’re attacking the track, I’d suggest the Ribelle (31.1” seat height) or SS9 (31.9” seat height) for street riding.
    woodsrider-boyd and jimmex like this.
  15. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Yup, first gen’s weight. Newer 21.5kWh Enérgica’s weigh less; for example, the Eva Ribelle depending on configuration, weighs between 568-587bs.

Still a lot physically, though it didn’t feel like it to me once the kickstand was up and rollin as the increased torque on the newer models help negate more of the weight. Additionally, Enérgica includes a reverse mode and parking mode to help maneuver at low speeds if needed.
  16. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the SR/F/S and it is just on another level compared to the Empulse TT, crack that throttle open and it's instantly at triple digits. The SR/F/S hides it weight very well, they managed to put the weight of the bike down low and the turning radius is just nuts. I would love to do gymkhana with this bike. It hides it weight much better than the Energica in my opinion. If I was looking to get a new electric bike I would lean towards the Energica though because they have the bigger battery and DC fastcharging but the weight is just one that kinda kills it for me.

Also I got my Empulse after Victory went out of business I would not pay $20k for this bike. But for $7k after incentives I would. Electric superbikes are nice but cost so much $$$$
    voltsxamps and 666 like this.
  17. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    I would pay 8k for energica or that new zero, 10k with taxes. Not 20K. I rode Energica at Livermore dealership.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  19. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I called AF1 they seemed to indicate that the entrance fee for the new Energica was more like $25k. $20k is about all I'd pay.
  20. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    +10% tax, reg fees, destination crap makes it 20. It is not bad at all for what it is, but out of my mental price range for motorcycles. Barely used ktm 1190 cost 10k or 1250 gs about 15.
    Next february maybe more affordable. It is funny you still have to change oil on those.