1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Long-Range Energica Eva Ribelle Electrifies Streetfighter Game

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by jas67, Nov 8, 2019.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Never seen a Tesla run out of juice(not saying it can’t happen) and I live in the land of Tesla’s (California). I’ve taken mine halfway to Alaska, fully loaded with a full size spare in the front trunk, cargo box on top, luggage and camping gear in the back, and a family of five went on remote roads to national forests to see unpopulated waterfalls, streams, wherever.

AF7D29A9-E691-4BD3-8264-C7CE526DDE31.jpeg

75FB7333-24C0-4636-9592-0AF6E38B5BEF.jpeg

76FBC536-81F5-479C-98BA-59CB86352999.jpeg

The Nav tells you before you go if you can make it there and back. (and I don’t even have the biggest battery) Anyone who gets stranded simply doesn’t know how to use the GPS and might want to let someone else sit in the drivers seat.

The Enérgica’s can even direct you to the nearest charging stations right on the display. Easy peasy. The Ribelle will be my 2nd electric motorcycle and with over 110,000 miles already travelled on electricity, I’m more than confident in traveling to remote forests, deserts, and mountainous areas without worry.
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was being fairly competitive and as noted, the road was fairly empty of towns :). I certainly couldn't pass him, decided to back off a bit before someone (probably me) got hurt and when I caught up he was parked up at a famrhouse and passing a cord through a window. Fairly sure he ran out of juice.
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked out how to get the range, I can't see anyone doing it short term but ...

The battery doesn't have to live within the frame, add non-removable crash bars, angle the batteries out and forward (they only have to clear the front wheel at full lock). Leave room for the riders feet and sell it as a touring bike. With lower average COG it may even handle decently.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I think you’re more than close. 80-100kph is what most vehicles drive on city streets here in California, and the 21.5kWh Enérgica’s are good for up to 400km range on a single charge.

I ride or drive an average of 140-160kph on Southern California freeways.. slightly faster than the flow of traffic in the slower lanes. Been licensed here since 1998 and have never received a single ticket. Even our highway patrol passes most cars already driving 130kph, and they’re only slowing down because of Highway Patrol lol.
  5. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that road trips in a Tesla are pretty easy, have a Model 3P and have done many of them. But road trips with an electric motorcycle require a lot more planning than a Tesla. Have done several road trips across North Carolina with a Zero SR and one with my Eva 107. The biggest difference comes down to the reliability of the charging network. Just because your Energica can show you where the closest charger is doesn't mean it will work when you get there. You really have to look on Plugshare to see is anyone has checked in recently and if they charged successfully. If no one has checked in since last year you have to wonder whether it works or not and what you will do if it doesn't. Electrify America has installed a lot of chargers but I am not impressed at all with their reliability. Last time I tried to use one with my Eva I tried all three that were working and couldn't get any to work despite the best efforts by customer service. Had to charge on L2 to get enough range to make it to another DCFC. That isn't the only time that has happened. I was really hoping the Ribelle would have 6kw L2 charging but Energica is only looking at the European market which has a much better CCS charging network.
    AZbiker likes this.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Agreed that Superchargers set the standard for all other charging networks and that 6kW would’ve been nicer than 3kW for those L2 sessions. I haven’t tried an Electrify America yet, but I’ve heard from other riders in the EM FB groups they’ve had success with the free 24kW chargers at the local Chevy dealerships and at the 21-25kW HD dealers nearby, also free.

Chargepoints and EVgo’s have also been good to go and reliable according to friends who’ve used them and understand the value of checking apps like PlugShare or ChargeHub in advance. Ideally, I’m going to be using CCS when traveling but will use L2 as needed. Gonna test out the EA’s first chance I get to see if it’s a common issue with their particular network. Shocking(pun intended) that for as much money VW group spent on it that it wouldn’t be up to speed with the others. One Ego rider I know rides successfully from San Diego to my area east of LA and back without issue. I reckon with so many EV’s in our area, reliability and frequency of finding networks are higher here than in other parts of the country and something I’ll keep in mind when traveling state to state.

They’ll be plenty more CCS’s in the US with the look of things. Shame the US is behind the rest of the world when it comes to the fastest standard, but lots more CCS’s have been popping up within the past year, so I think it will only accelerate from here. Rider’s forums and groups are proving invaluable to map out which routes have been successful meanwhile. Here’s to having an adventure connecting the dots!
  7. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    A great technical read for the gear heads:

Energica engineers along with CRP staff worked together to focus on the motor housing, a complex, important component of electric motorcycles. From the beginning, the team worked to redesign the part in order to accommodate the rotor, stator, and speed reducer. The propulsion unit to be supported is flexible and compact enough that the Energica motor housing can be adapted to any vehicle, and the reducer is composed of a straight-cut gear train that adds strength along with simplicity of design. The structure holds the shaft and pinion and final drive to the wheel with a standard motorcycle chain.

785D9E5B-82C5-433A-9404-D5A24B2F900A.jpeg

To redesign the motor housing, the team had several requirements. The electric motor was heavy and needed to be balanced out by a lightweight housing, and because the motor generated high torque it required high resistance. The gears needed to be the correct size, and the materials and heat treatments would need to be carefully chosen. “

full article:
    https://3dprint.com/217861/3d-printing-energica-ego-part/
  8. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the max current Eva can take from a DCFC? Obviously all L3 charging is not the same.

Also battery energy density I s expected to get a good 50% bump within 5 yrs. That will make an Eva Ribelle like bike more long distance friendly.
    AZbiker likes this.
  9. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I got to ride an EVA Ribelle yesterday. It was nice always put a smile on my face whenever I ride an Energica. It definitely does feel lighter than the original Eva but it's not much lighter. If you tip the bike over you'll feel that weight. But that being said I did some parking lot gymkhana with it and it was surprisingly able to do slow speed maneuvers with much less effort than the older bikes. I remember the SS9 was hard to move the handlebars, the Eva Ribelle much less effort. It's able to do some fairly tight circles too, it feels tall compared to like say the SR/S though. I feel the SR/F/S has a lower CG.

ZOMG it's so fast! That's all I'll say, its blows the doors off the Empulse in that department. I prefer Sport mode with medium regen. So that being said its definitely not as nimble as the Empulse TT. I might be biased because I have a lot of seat time on the Empulse because I own it but after I hopped back on my bike I was like wow I sure can throw this bike around much easier. It's like comparing a 600cc sportbike to a 1000cc sportbike. But there's nothing you can do about that it's a 595lb bike compare to a 475lb bike. Still handles pretty good more aggressive riding position than the Empulse TT and fits me better than the Empulse. Probably would handle better if the preload was setup for me I felt it needs more rear preload. So if that was a case it would be even better at slow speed maneuvers if setup properly.

I also got to take it on the freeway and it was pretty comfortable, first time I've ridden an Energica on the freeway. Probably with a larger screen would be more comfortable. There has AMPLE passing power! It's more comfortable to tuck with the Eva than the Empulse. I thought the bikes supercharger whine would be annoying on the freeway but it wasn't too bad. The wind kinda mutes it.

I wish I could take it home for a day or two and take it on a long ride. I had the bike around 60% SOC and it was saying there's around 59miles it could still go. I know it's estimating but I could somewhat confidently say that it could get 100+ miles range if you rode it like a normal bike. The Empulse TT can do 60miles with its 10.5kwh pack so you figure the Eva Ribelle with the 21.5kwh pack could pretty easily do 100+ or double the miles of the Empulse and of course charge helluva lot faster with the DC fast charging.

They didn't have a SS9+ I wanted to ride them back to back, if I was to buy an Energica it would be one of those two. But yeah it's definitely the best you can buy right now, nothing can really touch it in the price and what your getting. I wish there were better luggage options for the Energicas also. The way they designed it doesn't allow you to install a top case. If I put a giant loop on it I would have to peel it off whenever I wanted to charge the bike.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  10. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    AB59494F-F1DA-4875-94E6-107E12A05D06.jpeg

The Ribelle has a 25kW charger on board which is quite robust considering the 21.5kWh battery.
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Super glad you got some seat time in the Ribelle. I ordered mine with a windscreen, heated grips, keyless ignition, and pannier bags.

1E511014-7C12-4E3A-A7DD-AEC7A7578807.jpeg

Love that I can attach the bags when I need and remove them when I don’t. I’d rather the space where the tank usually goes be used for more battery capacity and for on-board DCFC.

One selling point of the Ribelle was that it had a factory windscreen option while the SR/F doesn’t. (I sat on the SR/S but the riding position was too far forward and low for me. I like the more upright positioning of most nakeds, and after years of riding sportbike class bikes, I don’t want to lean that far forward anymore.) There’s also more maneuverability and adjustable body positioning being able to bend my elbows more with bars being closer vs the further, lower reach of the SR/S and EGO. Just like sport cars, sport bikes are all about low CG, less wind drag, and aggressive cornering.. nakeds being more upright are easier to ride and more nimble from a rider’s positioning perspective, which is why it’s marketed as a street bike, where as the EGO (and pretty much all sport class bikes) is marketed for and best suited on the track. Sam from NewZeroland attests to this. I guess that’s why I found the Ribelle to be just as easy to ride as my sub 400lb FZ-07 as it had an extremely similar reach, turn in ratio, and body position. Both bikes are marketed and designed for street use. I’m a street rider and no desire to ride on a track as my adventures all lie outside of the track, so while sport bikes look really cool (no denying that), maneuverability and comfort are the trade offs for great looks. Nakeds still look great to me but when I’m in the rider’s seat, that’s when the magic really shows. I’m nearly 48 years old and I’ve come to appreciate bikes that fit me well.

This one happens to have the quickness of a liter bike, without the discomfort and raucousness of a liter bike. Add to that, much less maintenance, great engineering, thoughtful safety features, and a great management staff and Enérgica has earned itself a new customer.
    AZbiker and jimmex like this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    9FF0901A-8DA6-442E-ABC8-77EC20A34B61.jpeg

What’s that? Harley has the record for an electric motorcycle? I know of at least one Enérgica rider who may change that soon. His times shown on the right. :pynd
    (LiveWire 11.15s left < Energica 10.68s right)
    (1/4mi Livewire 110mph < Enérgica 135mph)
  13. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure but I think the Energica and the Lightning are faster than that. Someone was telling me at the drag strip few weeks ago (yep I drag race my Sur Ron Light Bee) that when they were racing against an Energica it was hitting 10s. And as you can see in this video the LS-218 (which is sort of a production bike) can do 10s and that Livewire is running 11s. I don't understand how they are claiming that... They are excited over... nothing...

On another note I really like the size of the Eva, it fits me just right. It's slightly more aggressive riding position than the Empulse but the Empulse is too cramped for me. I like the size of the "tank" also, it is comfortable to lay down and tuck. How are your wrists after a long ride? I would imagine mine would be hurting on the Eva. I really wish they had a SS9+ I wanted to ride both back to back. I think I like the riding position of the SS better, if I remember correctly it was very comfortable. I've put some decent seat time on a MT-07 and that bike feels really small, it's like the Empulse size but very lightweight. I guess bikes just feel different to different people we're not all alike.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked the Energica website and it says that the bike can add 5 miles / minute on DCFC. That's quite a bit less than say the Tesla V3 supercharger putting 200 miles in 15 minutes and the Model 3/Y obviously need more charge/mile. Not sure how much of the diff in case of Eva is from the on board charger vs. the charging station.
  15. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    The limitations for motorcycles is space and weight. A car, SUV, truck, etc have much more space for large capacity batteries and higher current chargers, and the weight is less consequential as you don’t have to balance that weight at low speeds as a driver. Add to that, given the same power to weight ratios, a 4-wheeled vehicle has twice the braking power with two front wheels vs a bike’s one, so scrubbing off speed is that much more of a challenge when adding more capacity and more powerful chargers.

Tesla can achieve extremely rapid recharge rates with liquid cooled motor and batteries, whereas the Enérgica only has a liquid cooled motor. High charge rates heat batteries, and adding liquid battery cooling to a motorcycle adds even more weight (and cost) and the capacity isn’t so large to warrant that much faster charge rates.

Just as Tesla’s on board chargers are retrofittable, it’s reasonable that the same is true for bikes. My Performance Model S has two 40A chargers on board for up to 80A of current draw, though I’ve never drawn anything close to that, outside of supercharging. I’ve actually asked my Tesla service center if they could remove one of the 40A chargers as it just adds weight and it’s never been needed, but they suggested leaving it there just in case I do one day lol.

I’m all for even faster charging for all electric vehicles, two or four wheeled, but there’s trade offs when adding more range and speed of charging and especially so for motorcycles given the space and weight limitations of what can be crammed between two wheels. It’s about as good as it can get until a major improvement in energy density/weight and the ability to refill and reuse that energy reliably under strenuous conditions; high amp draw, high vibration, high heat, freezing temps, etc.

Gathering race data from moto e will help Enérgica improve the tech over time. All things progress.. take phones, game consoles, and computers for example.. we know they will continue to improve, so really it’s just a matter of when does one buy in and enjoy the tech of today.
    mantan and jimmex like this.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    As a motorcycle safety instructor who’s taken advanced rider courses, I use the inner parts of my thighs to grip the tank (I also have tank grips) and use my core to hold or shift my body in position so my wrists bear as little weight as possible. We’re taught (and teach) to hold the grips lightly to allow the suspension and steering to better absorb bumps and track better, which also leads to more stability and braking performance. If your wrists are hurting when riding in more aggressive rider positions, it may be from gripping too tightly or applying too much weight on the bar grips. Partner with a riding instructor or pick up a copy of Total Control to see if that alleviates wrist discomfort when in aggressive to semi aggressive rider positions.
  17. HadesOmega

Oddometer:
    I do tend to grip the bars too tight but I think it's just me getting old. The good thing about the energica eva is it has a big tank you can grip it easier with your legs. I must have weak wrists or something when i ride my light bee fast I don't get tired nearly as fast as I do my KLX.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Sharing your ride here if that’s cool. Enjoyed watching you experience the newer lighter and faster version:

You probably found this out after you posted the video, but the optional windscreen makes it much quieter and slices through the wind easier at speeds over 65mph. Also, the side pannier bags are also an option in lieu of a top case. Loved your reactions each time you twisted the grip! I only wished you got the chance to launch it full amp draw from zero.. it hauls quicker to 100mph than the SR/F I rode and if you select one of the lower TC’s, it will put a couple feet of air between your front tire and the ground. I know though that this not being your bike, you’d likely feel better not hooligan’ing it on the maiden ride, but it can hit 60 from a standstill in as little as 2.8 sec.

^ little slower, heavier 13.6 above - still lifts the front tire :)

Also super glad you were able to do some low speed parking lot maneuvers to feel how the balance and control-ability have improved from the previous gen as well as the tip in on corners. Much more neutral and confidence inspiring, begging you to twist it full stop once again :D

You had mentioned in the video that you felt that the SR/S and the Ribelle felt similar in weight and that the Ribelle felt a little heavier, followed by a text caption that clarified that the SR/S was weighed much less, but that it *felt* like it almost weighed the same was a testament to the great engineering at Enérgica, making most of that weight difference disappear once you’re moving.

It took YouTuber NewZeroland 2 years to acquire his first Enérgica after his first demo ride, so you never know if one will find its way with you in the seat again long term! Definitely a pleasure watching your video and hearing the unbridled laughter coupled with each torque induced twist of the wrist!
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  19. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last Saturday I picked up my 2020 Energica Eva Ribelle nine months exactly after putting a deposit down on it. I arrived home 72 miles later with 24% SOC remaining. With a much bigger battery I was curious about charge times and how long it would take to get back on the road. I plugged into 110 and the bike showed 9hrs, 59 minutes. Didn’t have time for that! So I plugged into 220 and it showed 4 hr 10 minutes. Still too slow! So then I plugged my portable CCS charger which allows the bike to charge at 6kw (from 220 volt outlet) and it showed 1hr, 21 minutes to 80% SOC. So I was able to get another ride in last Saturday, arriving back home after 110 miles and 5% SOC remaining. Plugged into 110 and again it showed 9 hrs, 59 minutes to fully charge. Not sure what is going on with the max charge times at 110 volts. But the Ribelle adds about 4% SOC per hour while charging on 110 so a full charge may take 24 hours or more. No longer can you just plug in a depleted battery and expect to fully charge overnight. The Ribelle with its 21.5 kWh battery can take an entire day to fully charge if 110 is all you have available. I think we have reached the point where potential Ribelle owners need to think about installing a 220 volt outlet to allow L2 charging at home. Subsequent rides showed a charging time on L2 from 2% SOC to 100% SOC to be 5 hrs, 26 minutes. Great for overnight but this will seriously suck if you are on a road trip. Last night I went for a ride and made it home with 4% SOC and decided to try the portable CCS charging to test 6kW charging times. Initially it showed 1hr 58 minutes to 80%. The charging time to 99% was 2 hrs 32 minutes. After 99% SOC the charge rate drops considerably as the battery is balancing and I stopped watching the time.

To fully charge the battery expect charging times as follows:

L1 (1kw): 24 hours+

L2 (3kw): 5:30hrs

6kW charging through CCS port: 2:30hrs.

I have not tried charging from a DCFC yet to see what charge times are like through CCS. I am getting the 600 mile service done today and will use a DCFC after that so will post charge times later.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the Ribelle ultrarnr- did you get the grey or the red? What options did you choose?