New Long Range LED Aux Lights

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Off Road Ryder, Nov 5, 2012.

1. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Darryl, thanks for being here and for giving us the discount code. I just ordered the headlight bulb upgrade kit for my 1290 SA. Looking forward to getting it installed!!
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  2. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to say thanks to Daryll for answering my somewhat OCD questions (via email) and helping me pick out the right light set for my 690E.

I ride mostly dirt back roads, forest service roads, and two track. I don't normally ride after the sun goes down. Mainly because I just didn't have the lighting to make me feel comfortable doing it (especially after a longer than expected ride and having to hit 60+ MPH pavement to get home ASAP!). I might seek out some night riding now. =)

The stock lighting on my 2014 690E left a LOT to be desired. I had installed a Cyclops LED "bulb" in my factory head lamp housing years ago, and it was definitely better, but not good enough.

So I just got a set of the "long range" Optimus lights with the Skene dimmer. One 10 and one 20 degree. I wanted some throw, but I also wanted to be able to see critters in the ditches. I also got a wide filter set (but haven't tried them out yet). Anyway, I finished getting them all mounted and wired up tonight and took them for a spin. All I can say is FREAKIN' AWESOME! 75+ MPH down the back roads and I was very comfy with my sight distance. And even without the filters, I felt like I could see the ditches well enough. Completely blown away by how great these lights are!

I do still (unfortunately) sometimes ride at night in traffic, and the dimmer really makes me feel comfortable that I'm not going to blind anyone (well, on low beam and low power anyway). Love the program-ability that it offers, and wired it up to a momentary switch so I can switch between 30% or 60% on low beam (or whatever you want to program it to) depending on whether I'm around other traffic or not.

These things are dang near overbuilt in my opinion! Large enclosures with huge cooling fins, and oversized wiring (why the heck do the quick disconnects have to be so big!). I think I could run over them with my 3/4 ton diesel and not damage them. I'm certainly not worried about the longevity of these things!

A couple of 2" pieces of angle aluminum made the perfect mounting brackets off my hand guards. Had to remove the factory blinkers. Made some blinkers out of waterproof strip LEDs and slapped them on the hand shields (blinks a lot faster now... anyone know where to get an LED flasher relay for the 690E?). Lamps aren't "too big" and look great!

KIMG0226_01.JPG

(note: pic taken before I was done with the wiring, so wires are hanging low)
  3. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! thank you that is quite the setup, We very much appreciate your business! I will look into a flasher for the KTms.. I know the ones we currently have are a bit to large and require rewiring the connector, I am sure someone has the minis like the KTM factory units.
  4. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    I am sorry. I do not..
  5. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to putting in a set on my 2009 BMW R1200GS. Wow, these are much brighter. Taking out the headlight assembly was intimidating, but turned out to be quite easy. I did watch the video. I also found my rattle and had to replace a broken windshield bracket, so this was a very worthwhile project. Everything fits, the tiny wire bail is a little bit more fiddly to get to fit in the recess, another reason to have the headlight out, then you can see and manipulate it .
    Tip, there is a projection on the bottom of the headlight that fits in a rubber grommet. The head light will fit in with projection behind the rubber, and it will shine in the trees. Be sure to fit it in the grommet.

In all, an excellent product at a fair price. Recommended.

Rod
    DRV and Off Road Ryder like this.
  6. DRV

DRV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thank You ragtolvr! Enjoy! drv :ricky
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    How much does each Optimus light weigh and overall dimensions .
    Also will you be selling a canbus interface device for the KTM 1290 SAR in the near future ? I need to get my R prepped for Mexico riding asap .
    Max
  8. StuartV

Oddometer:
    I installed the Cyclops LED headlight kit in my '16 1290 SA a couple of weeks ago. It is SO much brighter than stock. I still need to adjust the aim point up a bit, but even with where it is at the moment, it is a completely different experience riding at night. As in, I actually feel reasonably safe now!

I have a feeling once I get them aimed right, I won't feel like I need any more light. But, these are so awesome, I have the I-Wants anyway.

What I really want is to add a pair of the Cyclops Long Range Extreme lights. One with a clear spot filter and one with a wide amber filter. I have a feeling that setup plus the headlight kit I already put in would make it like riding in daylight. Bright daylight.

Thanks, Darryl, for the quality!
    Snake Oiler and Shaggie like this.
  9. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    I have the LED bulbs in my 95 Tiger, and the Extremes on the crash bars. I run the amber filters in daylight, which increase my conspicuity immensely, and switch to the clear flood covers at night to wash the Road shoulders for critters, especially white tails.
    This set up with the Skene dimmer works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of your Optimus long range lights, will the Skene IQ275 with Dimmable Harness with single pole handle bar mounted switch work on my 2018 KTM 1290 adventure R ?

Max
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir! Those extremes are over the top. Truly 100mph lights.
    StuartV likes this.
  13. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  14. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    I am afraid not Max..We have tried extensively. The new 1290 R has issues with running a skene reliably.The only way to reliably set it up is to use a seperate combo switch coming from the battery. This is clunky at best, you need to hit two switches when you have an oncoming vehicle. I don't recomend that. You can run lights with no dimming and just have on and off through a seperate switch ,without issues.
    We are working on a new raider Canbus interface to allow the light to be dimmed, no skene needed. This setup will also offer extra power ports and several other features, here is the bmw setup ready now, the KTM will be nearly the same but setup for those bikes.
    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-Raider-BMW-Canbus-Interface_p_201.html

We will be testing the proto unit next week, should all be good we will go into production asap.
    StuartV likes this.
  15. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    The Long range lights are 3.75 inches in dia across the face, they are built tough and come in at 635 grams each.. We are working on the 1290 Raider canbus interface and hope to have that in production soon. We will test the first prototype next week.
  16. StuartV

Oddometer:
    I assume the same issue would exist for a '16 1290 SA?

Glad I saw this! Otherwise, I would have just gone on the site and ordered the Long Range Extreme lights with the option for the Skene dimmer. Might want to add a note on that product page that it won't work on the KTMs.

I'll be looking forward to the announcement that the Raider is a "go" for KTM.

Looking at the Raider, is there any advantage to hooking a heated jacket to the Raider versus just having the heated jacket power pigtail connected directly to the battery? Sure would be nice if the bike's onboard menu could be used to control an aftermarket CANBUS device - e.g. use the factory controls to adjust the jacket's heat level. But, I'm guessing that's a total pipe dream at this point....
  17. StuartV

Oddometer:
    Also, seems like it would be nice if the Raider could control 4 forward lights. I could see having 2 aux lights that are only on when High beams are activated. They would be 20 degree beams and angled to light up as far around corners as possible when the bike is leaned over. The 2 additional aux lights would be normal driving lights. 10 degrees and aimed straight ahead. Those would be on at a low percentage when Low beams are activated (or, when High beams are NOT activated, as the logic may work).

But, it looks like the Raider could only handle 2 forward lights, instead of 4 (where the 4 have different programming).

That said, why are there different circuits for Right and Left?
  18. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Thanks talked with one of your techs yesterday great info ! Sign me up for the complete package and the sooner it's available
    the better . It's riding season in Mexico .

Max
  19. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:

Its a little early for me to comment much on the KTM Raider, changes are being made as I write this.. the left /right is due to a feature on the raider that dims a Aux light when the turn signal is activated.This feature can be turned on and off. One could use one of the separate aux power ports to run a seperate set of lights with a dimmer on the KTM. We have not tested this yet, but it seems possible.

On the heated jacket port you can turn that on/off while riding, but you can not change the power level, it is bikes voltage. I do like the idea of possibly being able to adjust voltage levels and will run that up the food chain.
    StuartV likes this.
  20. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Our New Rt kit is nearly complete Raider Canbus interface, mounts and Long Range or Pegasus lights, It just doesn't get any easier.
    Our first instal took less than 2 hrs and we stopped to take many photos for instructions etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]