new metzeler KAROO T for ADV...

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by barbasma, Apr 13, 2006.

1. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
  2. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Hard for me to say if this new tire`s the ticket to long lasting traction ''Nivarna'' since I`m not very fluent in Italian pictures! :lol3
  3. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    MCE KAROO
    Multipurpose off road tyre with maximal adaptability that makes everything possible: from the sand of desert rallies to the asphalt of road touring

<!-- long description -->Knob distribution developed for impressive traction in off-road use for fast and stable accelerating, together with great high speed stability on-road
    Outstanding handling characteristics with smooth corner entry and stable leaning for optimum degree of control when cornering
    Excellent mileage capability even if used on-road and great adaptability to different load conditions of the bike, thanks to the reinforced yet light structure

NEW! MCE KAROO (T)
    Knobby tyre for high performing enduro bikes designed to satisfy both the most demanding Travellers needs highlighting a strong off-road appeal

Dedicated geometry and distribution of knobs perfectly combining reduced noise and enhanced braking stability especially with ABS braking systems
    Larger size and reduced height of knobs developed for higher traction and improved high speed resistance and mileage
    Top performance on-road: outstanding handling perfectly combined with a great cornering stability at all lean angles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to have a laugh, have Google translate the page for you. "Lean" becomes "fold". "Knobs" become "dowels".

Note that they offer a 150/18 rear. Direct competition for the TKC's?
  6. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
  7. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Look again. The (T) designated tires only seem to be available for 140-18 and 150-17. :cry
  8. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a set of Karoo's on my 950 in December for a Jimmy Lewis school. We changed the rear earlier this week and I had 3500 miles on it doing about 70 percent highway. The front is still good.
  9. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    This tire comes stock on the HP2 and will more than likely come on the new SE.

My experience has not been good with this tire, in the dirt it feels like a 50%/50% tire, the rear is O.K. almost like a TKC and I'm not personally a TKC fan since I think the tire is overated by many. The front is just plain lousy, it wants to pick it's own line/track.
    I don't quite understand why they engineered this tire with a gap around the circumfrence of both front and rear tire, it's terrible on grated roads! just wants to grab it's own line.

If I were to choose, I would take a Sahara 3 over these anyday..
    On a more dirt oriented DOT, I like the Desert front and rear, they work great!
  10. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I got hypnotized by all the letters, spaces, and plus signs, and missed the "(T)".
  11. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:

Wow. How'd you do that? I had one on in Colorado for the Ouray KTM rally and at the end of the weekend the tire was gone. Not just rounded knobs but completely worn out in 500 miles...

I didn't care for the traction even when new. The Michelins work pretty well and they seem to last a bit longer.

G
  12. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    I agree.

I haven't run the Michelins, because they are very spendy, but the Karoo rear with a 606 front has treated me pretty well and the pair is less than $100 (so I don't care that they don't last especially long).

I think the TKC's are a good option for a true 50/50 tire. Not perfect off-road, but not evil, and the same on the street.

I've got a pair of 908 RR's ready to install... rear looks great to me, front doesn't strike me as too promising for the 950, but maybe I'm just being negative. I'll give it a whirl, but if I have to tear it off and run a 606, I'm ready for that eventuality.

Hi James! :wave
  13. ceeco

ceeco two wheels at a time

Oddometer:

I got lots of miles on my rear Karoo too....at least 2,500 miles with 75% street use. Metzler makes 2 Karoos (plus the new one) that fit the 950. The older 150 width is a diff. construction than the one in the 140 width, and I believe much more durable. If this newest 150 is even more durable it should be a great tire.

chuck
  14. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    I have always run the 140, because it's cheap- <$50, and I typically get somewhere around 1k miles out of it. To me, that's a good value. The 150 is similar in price (at my shop) to Desert's, 908RR's, and TKC's.

The 150 is indeed a very different tire, but at Ouray, I rode with folks who had both types of Karoos on... and the 150 didn't really hold up any better when being spun hard in rocks. It might on the road, I don't know. The Michelin Desert, OTOH, was clearly superior to anything else as far as wear goes.

It was interesting to walk around that parking lot on Saturday night and look at how things were holding up. Granted, you can't tell everything about how someone rides by their tires, but on average, the Deserts were looking good, TKC's were somewhat chunked, and 606's/Baja's/Karoos (140 & 150) were looking pretty shoddy.

Not exactly scientific, but my take away is that the Desert is the pick of the litter for durability off-road, the 140 Karoo is the bargain, and the TKC is the dualsport tire of the bunch. For me, it remains to be seen where the 908 fits in this continuum.
  15. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently running a Karoo T front/Scorpion rear combo. Vast majority of my riding is on pavement. This combo works great on pavement, front is just fine for me off-road, but I'm starting to get tired of the rear sliding all over the place in gravel and sand. Am leaning towards a 150 TKC in hopes it will give me reasonable dirt improvement while retaining good street manners and acceptable lifetime. Am I barking up the right tree? As I see it my other rear tire options are:

140 TKC (crappy road manners, falls into turns)
    140 Dunlop 908 (crappy road manners, wobbles at high speeds)
    140 Karoo T (lousy lifetime, unknown road manners?)
    140/150 Karoo (lousy lifetime, unknown road manners?)

If I had more dosh, I get a second, narrower rear rim with a larger sprocket and pure off-road tire and use it for the dirt. But I don't. :cry