New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route: My enchanted ride!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tragic Overlander, May 17, 2016.

1. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    What? It's over? Tell me it isn't so! Get back out there damn it. How am I supposed to enjoy the western U.S?
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony,
    Me and Dingweeds were dumbfounded-------------or just dumb.
    The mosquitos weren't bad at all the whole trip---------I was so dissapointed :jack:jack:jack
  3. Free Radical

Free Radical High speed drifter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the ride. Thanks for documenting it and sharing it!

Regarding the site with NO CAMPING: Could it be that the site is prone to flash floods?
  4. Spongex

Spongex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good RR. Really well done as usual.
  5. Taillight

Taillight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report - thanks, I really enjoyed it
  6. Offhook

Offhook n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Great photo's and good information. Next Sunday we will head to Del City. Looking forward to the ride. You have me excited!
  7. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to do the RR. I've been eying up the NMBDR for later this year and all your pics and info will be useful :thumb
  8. SkiFlyRide

SkiFlyRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I nearly broke my neck turning to check out your bike under shelter as we drove through Antonito that Sunday! I'm glad to find a fantastic ride report and I definitely want to check out the NMBDR! Thanks for taking the time to post.
  9. Tragic Overlander

Tragic Overlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wave Byways. Oh now, that's a bit over the top, but thank you. Just hoping it inspires others to try that ride.

BTW - really enjoying the Heart of the West right now. But, can you shift these huge storms a little further south:lol3:lol3
  10. Vorderrad

Vorderrad Vorderrad

Oddometer:
    Tulare, California Front door of the Sierra Nevada
    very cool pictures, beautiful country, thanks for sharing.
  11. Tragic Overlander

Oddometer:
    Hey BigDog,

Thanks for that:thumb Yes, I would love to see your route. Please PM me if you get a chance. Dingweed and I worked out (over a bit of home brew) that we first met up at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks :freaky- I had just come down the Dalton, and I think you guys were going up.

My friend George is coming with me this time - should make a nice change to have someone around. Getting a bit sick of my own company:shog I don't know how much dirt we will see, but who knows. I promised George it would be a leisurely and relaxing experience.......sort of like a health spa on 2 wheels......:wink:
  12. Tragic Overlander

Oddometer:
    Maybe. The site was just below the dam wall, and they had big sirens for an alarm which I assume they would sound if they were going to release a lot of water. I think more likely that they just didn't want people camped there for weeks at a time. Who knows, but funny that each site had a fire pit and tent space:hmmmmm
  13. Tragic Overlander

Oddometer:
    Hi Offhook - good luck. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you. Not too hot, not too cold, no rain, girls with umbrella's to shade you at every stop..........:lol3

Thanks Camel - september / october would be a good time to do this ride. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ha. I heard a couple of honks but figured people were laughing at me or pissed that I was dirtying up their pristine Senior Citizens Hall:imaposer
  14. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    Great pics - thanks so much for making me realize how much my current geographic location blows... The NM BDR was such a special ride. Never once have I finished such a long journey and so quickly wanted to make it once again!
  15. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Exceptional Ride Report. Great narration, great pictures, great motorcycle...
    Thank you very much for taking the time to write and share this.
    Q~
  16. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Met Mike last year at the Rubber Chicken Ride. The guy is FAST and a hell of a rider.

Great RR, thanks for sharing. Looks like I might be able to tackle most of this on my Tiger 1050 :evil
    b56tc likes this.
  17. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love it when someone posts up on an older thread and brings it up front so we can read it. Great ride report! thanks.

Now, I really REALLY want to work for BDR and map these out. I wonder how much I'd have to pay them???
    Daryloftexas and Dan Diego like this.
  18. Tragic Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the positive comments. Sorry I haven't replied much lately (or posted any new RR's lately) but haven't had much internet. Yes, still rolling. Back from 12k in Alaska, IDBDR, and now in Oregon hopefully finishing the TAT. Lots of dramas, exaggerated stories , and even the odd damsel in distress to come.
  19. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    :ricky:thumbup
  20. atomizer

atomizer Be here now

Oddometer:
    Good meeting you in Sargents. I was with a huge group doing the CDR from Salida back to Taos.
    We talked about our 1190's...
    I'm headed out to do the NMBDR next week.
    Great ride report. Looking forward to the book
    Cheers and beers, Atom