1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Mexico BDR with Dan Diego and the Drunk Uncle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Drunk_Uncle, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chloride Canyon—it’s not like they said.

Take an overloaded and underpowered KLR. Add a rider with dubious riding abilities. Oh, and for fun, make sure the bike is suffering from fuel or air issues. Then put that mess on some challenging hill climbs. Yeah, it was like that.

Beautiful place, though.

Question: Are those Indian rock paintings legit? Very pretty but they look too good.

We’re done for today. Section 3 in the books. Rolled into the village of reserve on reserve.

DU busted his tire and this may be the end for him. I’m deciding whether or not to continue solo. Eating some good Mexican chow at Ella’s first.

We haven’t eaten at one restaurant in NM that serve alcohol!
    D2B9CE3B-C64F-4C32-B675-5DD98796EEDE.jpeg 23B56D76-641B-418D-94E5-95EBBD07CB48.jpeg CC423A3C-F948-451C-ADC3-8B1EF719AF21.jpeg
    thirsty 1, black 8 and Some Beach like this.
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the KLR started sputtering...like it was out of fuel...on the worst possible sections of CC. I made that first one fine but stalled in the middle of the next two. Had to restart it and keep it in 1st and rev it past 6k RPM to keep moving forward.

When I got to the top I checked the air filter (fine) and blew out the fuel filter (looked OK). I thought it was water or crud in the carb but DU said it was likely the elevation. Unsure but I made it out OK.

Made me think of Robert Pirsig adjusting his carb in Colorado.
    Kampfire likes this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode Chloride Canyon my fuel pump on the WR450 was starting to crap out, so I can sympathize.

Yes, the Indian rock art is legit.
  4. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's horrible, no alcohol?
    HH likes this.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be tempted to go at that rim with some heat, a block of hard wood and a BFH.
    Dan Diego and BarryB like this.
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Depending where he lives there are shops that specialize in repair to cast wheels
    Thats the first thing I would look for
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your Chloride Creek experience. Did I say anything about CC when we met on the trail on day 1? It's close to my home and one of my favorite local rides. I've ridden that hill climb when overloaded. I turn left down into that low flat area and get a straight run at the hill if I think I'll have trouble with it. Once started I work at keeping my momentum up. I agree with your petroglyph thought. But they do look like petroglyphs I've seen elsewhere. On the alcohol as I understand it back when a license was reasonably priced a few families bought them all up and now the going price for one is a million bucks. Of course that is based on brewery talk.
    CarterFury and Dan Diego like this.
  8. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Don't even need heat..just a block of wood and a BFH...like you said...
    Wallop it about 90% back...field repair...good to go
    Dan Diego and Kampfire like this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that’s a pretty good wack! Can you tell us about it? Speed, tire pressure?
    We had 2 bikes in class this weekend with the Mission Trails. I was quite impressed even in sand, for a not-Nobby tire. 30/30 pressure seemed to work well for the students.
  10. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I brought a small flask of whisky and that was gone last night.

If only someone close by could deliver some cold ones...:photog:1drink
    Some Beach likes this.
  11. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of you might be thinking, “You know, it might be nice to do a BDR with Dan Diego— maybe the Idaho, Colorado, Oregon... something like that. Well, think again, amigo because sadly this is the second BDR where I’ve started with a partner and finished solo. It was during the AZBDR that my partner was life flighted out so I ended up doing that one alone.

I ended up in Grants after polishing off sections 4&5. It’s very, very pretty landscape. And that section coming into Grants through the Cibola forest, I think, was just really something through the pine forest; it didn’t even look like a trail over the pine needles. They were doing a controlled burn in the Apache forest section and had all sorts of forest people up there.

I dipped into Arizona on the way...just a little side ride. I did 225 miles from Reserve. Missed the Pine Hill market and that gas opportunity. I still had a gallon or so.

So the bike is doing good and I’m doing good and I’m ready to do sections 6 & 7 in the next couple days. I’ll happily take advice if any of you guys have ridden those sections. I’d be happy to hear anything I should be looking for.

I’ll let Drunk Uncle tell you what happened to his wheel and how he taco’d that front rim. He made it to Ruidoso filling up the tire every 30 miles. Good attitude, that one.
    38FCBD34-4790-41D1-BB25-D45EA30A89F6.jpeg 291B556B-1393-4A5C-A603-05C03B7622A3.jpeg 8E954793-3177-48A7-A7E7-6DCFEF4A5A1F.jpeg 81E6D6E8-1E9E-4BD7-B567-D6B53AB99A25.jpeg FD4E2D5C-84BB-45F2-829A-8B62B0C3F2D6.jpeg F6612EB7-6F62-42E1-B7EC-B993C363F8EB.jpeg FDDBAE45-9DE2-483F-95D8-86EE324EDBE6.jpeg
    thirsty 1 and CarterFury like this.
  12. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Hmm 2 left gloves...2 left feet
    Coincidence...
    I
    Think
    NOT
    Zubb and Dan Diego like this.
  13. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    DU,
    You can swing by and grab my klr if you want to get back to it.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every day’s ride is better than the one before. Seems impossible but it’s true. Today’s ride from Grants to Cuba was fantastic. The entire thing was just perfect. Didn’t want it to end.

I know Section 6 is described as desolate—and I do like desolate places—but I ran into two bicyclists and some State wildlife guys right in the middle. And I’ve been chasing año her rider—it looks like he’s a day ahead of me.

About the sand: I really didn’t see much deep stuff at all, and that usually in the arroyos. Most of the sand I encountered was on the last 1/3 of that section and was only in patches...and most of that on BLM 1102.

I would turn around and ride that section again!

Stopped to gas up and eat in Cuba. OK, on to Section 7.

34CAB39F-2D91-43D3-A9BD-5E710C74843C.jpeg A13720CC-9766-45B5-A557-915D5639DE07.jpeg 4209DD39-460C-499B-84DF-F057339135A9.jpeg F72A782A-2A89-49C6-BDE3-96B17E700CC2.jpeg 7F90EB96-5B89-41B7-AA7B-2C7468490F96.jpeg
  15. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode 50 miles out of Cuba toward Antonito and found a nice hidden spot to camp in the Santa Fe Nat’l Forest at 7,800’. Boy, it’s pretty up here.

Settling in with a dinner of Red Vines and Jack. Gonna have to polish it all off as this is bear country.

G’nite, all.

FD830945-8454-4AF0-9F69-E336E8BBD39E.jpeg A3A1B5C0-9745-4F1F-B175-0FFDC8FD08EB.jpeg
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I regretfully had to call the ride. I was running 55-60mph near the end of Section 3 having a great time. Looked at the GPS to confirm still on track. Knew a cattle guard was coming up. Near it I got on the pegs to glide over it and at the last minute “ oh shit!” It was way higher than the road surface than any other I had hit and felt it.

Just going and about 7 miles later a really bright red flashing light on the dash. I had 21psi in the front tire that was supposed to have 34. Dan pulls up and says what’s wrong? I told him the issue and said tire looks fine. Bump probably messed up the sensor. Well as it continued to drop we pulled over to check the tire and found the bent rim. Unfortunately it was not just the edge of the rim, but the actual bead was also compromised. So aired every 12 miles to Reserve and called the wife to get the truck.

Fix a flat and warm tire eventually got me 70 miles between fill ups and got Roswell and on the truck. This morning unloading the truck found this in the tire...

Attached Files:

Dan Diego likes this.
  17. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now about tires...

This is the only tire I will buy in the future. Handled everything thrown at it. It is nearly a run flat tire. At 15psi still looked the same as 35 psi. I will measure tread depth after 1500 miles, but both have to be replaced. I ran the front 250 miles at 70mph 40-18 psi multiple times. Has weird wear pattern. As for the wheel I am going to send it to Woody’s Wheel Works later this week.

Now for the whole irony of this situation. A BMW motorcycle technician with four broken bikes. At least I will have an airhead up and running mid week.
    CarterFury likes this.
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tire data.
    I’m going to run those tires on the big GSA for the off season (April-Oct). Will keep the RallZ
    For winter though for the oft encountered deep sand.
    Nice work though piloting it upright through that cattle guard.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  19. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Great trip story here. My next trip is to the area north of Guadalupe NP and toward Chloride, etc. I've done most of NM but have somehow missed those.

DU, I'm guessing the tire was low because of the nail when you hit the cattle guard?
    Dan Diego likes this.
  20. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was the coldest night yet (20’s) and I did fine. I have a decent bag and insert and tent but yeah it was still pretty brisk. Was up early to jetboil some coffee and oatmeal and got on the trail within about an hour.

A note on gear:

Bike: I bought this 1996 Kawasaki KLR650 from the owner of top gun motorcycles and outfitted it to go to Ushuaia this year. The boat I was supposed to take from Panama to Colombia, the Stahlratte, is still not transporting passengers due to COVID-19. and some of the borders are still closed in Central/South America anyhow. So the bike is actually pretty well set up, even so, this BDR has taken it’s toll. It’s really shaken some things loose. KLR’s rattle around anyhow but this one really got some screws lost, but that’s what I wanted to test out so that’s a good thing. Otherwise, it performed well. This BDR requires really good tires (I use Tusk DS knobbies) and a better skid plate.

Camping: I have a Big Agnes tent and a Recon 3 bag. I bought a fleece insert and it likely increased the temp rating by 5-10 degrees. I bring along a JetBoil Sumo as I need to start my day with coffee. Two comfort items that I almost always bring are my Helinox camp chair and thermarest collapsible pillow. Embarrassed to say they’re worth the extra weight. Lastly, my sleeping pads usually let me down, literally, and this time was no different. The Klymit Static V ran out of air at about midnight every time I used it. May start carrying a self-inflating pad.

Pack: I use the Giant Loop Great Basin bag and it’s great. Holds a lot of stuff...but not quite enough! I also started with two dry bags but the Chinese one fell apart and I replaced it with a too-big, silly duffel bag I found at Big 5. Looks terrible, works fine. Lesson (not likely) learned on buying cheap Chinese stuff on eBay.

Nav: I use a trusty Garmin Zumo 660 for all routing. Have for years. I own two (I use this this off road) and have been very happy with them over the years. I also have a Kyocera burner phone with all BDR tracks and other mapping on it...just in case. I also share tracking with a SPOT 3 and a DeLorme inReach.

Riding gear: I use a Icon Varmint helmet with an old Cardo-Scala intercom system for music, nav and phone calls. I’m using the BMW Rallye 3 pants and jacket and they’re great. My AlpineStars Tech 3 boots have been handy in the rocky terrain. As you saw, I am relegated to using one pair of gloves as my warm pair was for a guy with two left hands! I swear by military gear so I have a PolyPro long underwear set and the Gore-Tex rain gear; haven’t needed the latter, have definitely used the former.

Other: I have an external power source that charges off the bike during the day and powers my phone, GoPro and inReach at night. The GoPros have been actions up. The batteries just die too quickly. Will have to look at that later. (Baby) Glock 26.

Tools: Tubes, air compressor and just enough to change flats and do minor carb and electrical work. Nothing too heavy.

I hope this helps someone.
    Surcease, Some Beach, Cav47 and 4 others like this.