New Mexico day / weekend trips

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Jhawkins, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I just bought an FE250 to get back into ADV riding. In the past few years I've done the NMBDR (Except section 1) and COBDR.

Looking for some good rides, preferably loops to avoid long slab trips on the little 250. I don't mind maybe 100 miles max on the pavement, any more than that and I'll put it in the truck.

My riding skills are average to slightly above average. Remote rides / fire roads / single track. I had no problem doing the NMBDR from San Antonio to Antonito in 3 days on the CRF250l Rally.

Thanks!
    redrock88 likes this.
  2. redrock88

redrock88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good stuff for some long loops.
    Jemez Mountains, Hwy 4 turn off to Gillman and FR 376 through the tunnels then cut over Hwy 126 to FR144 and loop around the Valles Caldera to Espanola back through Los Alamos Hwy4 to FR10 and Ponderosa and back out Hwy4

Another is a lap around Cabazon peak by Hwy550 turn on at the Bike trails sign before San Ysidro on Cabazon Road, to pipeline road to CR279 and up the north end of Mt Taylor FR239A. You can ride to the top of the peak and then into Grants. Old Rt66 would keep you off I40 until Hwy6 which gets back to Lost Lunies.

The Zuni Mountains south of grants have lots of great riding. Do a Rockies forum search for 7 Trails of Gold somewhere around post 70 are GPS tracks. . NMOHVA has held a couple events from Grants and we had about 750 miles of GPS tracks.

These are long lonely rides and you need a good fuel range. An InReach satcom is a good idea since cell coverage is pretty slim.
    Jhawkins, Xcelite and redrock88 like this.
  4. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's perfect! Gonna hit some of these.

Keep em coming!
  5. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jhawkins likes this.
  6. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:

Rode the Loop 4 Mt Taylor, the Harder Way on Sunday.

Awesome ride. Having been out of the game for a while, it certainly wore me out. I didn't leave Los Lunas until noon, so it was getting dark when I got back to the pavement, and I had to rush the last section.

A quick ride report and some pics here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/mount-taylor-loop-4-of-the-7-trails-of-gold.1410820/

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! Keep em comin.

IMG_8249.jpg

Attached Files:

Sledred, redrock88 and sanderjavant like this.