New Mexico in Nov Just to Play - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MarcoSolo, Oct 18, 2020.

1. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on heading to NM in a couple of weeks for up to a month of low key camping and riding. I went through last February on a coast to coast ride but it was witch tit cold - ice storm in SW TX pinned me down for two days then 70 mph gusts - so I didn't linger.

I know New Mexico is a big state with a huge amount of variety - what do you recommend? I'm going to be towing a street-legal dual sport around with an SUV from camping area to camping area so I'm mobile and open to suggestions. I'll be tent camping so anywhere I can put up a tent would work. The more scenic the better. Being alone I'll avoid technical or long, remote trails unless they are frequently traveled.

If the CDR is open through Nov, I wouldn't mind doing that or parts of that as I have the chip and I would only have CO left to do later. I would imagine the snow might fly at the higher elevations by then.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  3. MarcoSolo

Oddometer:
    I just read that NM state campgrounds will not allow out of state visitors until (maybe) Nov 14th but private campgrounds do not have the same restriction.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I read doing a super fast Google search

Wild camping is always an option

Our posse has done big chunks of the CDR in New Mexico and the NMBDR, as well as general meandering. Two big rides in 2020 during the Covid crap. It's a great state!
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In November you will probably end up riding in the desert and southern mountains. Take a look at the Rubber Chicken thread from last year. There are tracks for about 20 rides posted a few pages down.
    All of these rides would be out of Truth or Consequences.

As noted you can camp in the forest and on BLM land, but no amenities.
    Blakebird and MarcoSolo like this.
  6. MarcoSolo

Oddometer:
    Super, thanks! This is the type of info I was looking for. I don't mind roughing it as long as I can load up on water somewhere nearby.
  7. MarcoSolo

Oddometer:
    In case anyone else is considering the same kind of trip, the campgrounds in the national parks are open to non-residents without prejudice and while some lack even potable water, the ones without water are free. Those with water and nothing else are $5 per night. They all have privies. Max 14 days stay. Reading between the lines of the recommendations I got from a national forest ranger is to come on a weekday when occupancy is down and stake your claim because on weekends the more accessible campgrounds tend to fill up.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the lowest elevation in NM statewide is 2,800', so ya sure need to head south.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    And there is not much good riding in places that are that low. You need to be in the 4-7k ft elevations areas.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumbup:thumbup

I've said it a bunch after doing the CDR and finally seeing the back country of New Mexico, the state is one of the best kept secrets out there! Truly amazing!
  11. CarterFury

CarterFury Yee Haw! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bunch of current, good and accurate info for you above. Basing near Silver City, TorC or Ruidoso/Cloudcroft are some suggestions because they have plenty of elevation changes, windy roads (paved and dirt), Natl Park/BLM camping opportunities, published routes (CDT & NM BDR) and of course the ability to resupply.
    MarcoSolo and Snake Oiler like this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Shhhh. Don't be telling everyone. Lol
    CarterFury likes this.