New Mexico riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by SKINNY, Jul 28, 2005.

1. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to Mogollon and the surrounding area, but I haven't been near the place in 15 yrs. Is Hwy 159 going west from Mogollon paved? Can you get from Mogollon to Chloride/Monticello on Hwys 159/52/59 without any un-paved roads? I'm on a new RT1200, so dirt or gravel roads are a no-go.

thanks
    skinny
    05 RT1200
    04 DRZ
    01 Hayabusa
  2. santaferider

santaferider The Argienaut

Oddometer:
    only paved access to Mogollon is from Highway 180, North of Glenwwod and South of Alma, 8 miles from the intersection to Mogollon.
  3. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Skinny, I don't know where you're coming from, But I'd recommend this route to get to Mogollon. 159 is paved from Alma to Mogollon, but becomes dirt after that. Be aware that the road is twisty, narrow and the locals don't like motorcycles riding in Moto GP mode. DAMHIK :lol3 Party Poopers.
    [​IMG]

Once in Mogollon, you'll have to patronize our favorite Pie stop and meet Kathy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Hillsboro, here's a good place for breakfast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    I'll be coming from Odessa thru Las Cruces. I'm considering trying Hwy 52 that goes west from I-25 at T or C to Winston and Chloride, but I don't know how much of Hwy 52 is paved. I just made the trip thru Hillsboro/Silver City/ Alpine/Morenci in late May, but didn't have enough time to see Mogollon. There must be some more paved roads in the general area west of T or C...
  5. Eurobiker

Oddometer:
    You'll have to go up to Socorro and Hwy 60 for the next paved westbound road. Refering to the map above, the tan area is all Wilderness- no motorized anything in there, hence no roads. The green area is Non-wildernes FS land, mostly unpaved roads there. 152 is your best bet.
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Just do 152 and then 191 over in AZ. Then do them again. You can then die and go to heaven a happy man.

Oh yeah,
    Glenwood to Reserve to Luna kicks ass! That new RT ought to be right at home. Lots of med to high speed sweepers!
  7. santaferider

Oddometer:
    lissen to da man Gordy, it don't git no betta no nevah!
  8. Lencho

Lencho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread makes this home grown El Paso, Texas boy home sick!!!! Now I want to see the desert, gila forrest and eat a bunch of a chili rellenos made from wonderful Hatch green chilies!!!
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Rellenos are one of those foods that can either be awesome or crap. There seems to be no middle ground. You are right about the Hatch chiles. Rellenos are meant to be prepared in late summer when those giant green chiles are fresh out of the fields!
    :dg
  10. santaferider

Oddometer:
    the Terlingua International Chile Cookoff Ride might very well be what you need.
  11. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    I've done 152 and while it's a hell of a fun road, the question is ... is there a paved road that goes to Winston and Chloride? My map says Hwy 52 is paved at least part way. I'd love to make the 152 ride more often, but it's a long way from Odessa, and this time of year it's too damn hot getting there.
  12. santaferider

Oddometer:
    you mean that new RT doesn't come with AC? :evil
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

I don't think that comes with the DVD/Cruise/Heated Seat/CD/Variable Suspension/Trip Computer/Fucked Up Fuel Guage package. You have to get that with the toolkit ensemble.
  14. santaferider

Oddometer:
    and you should try the Europie a la Mark! Lip-lickin'good![​IMG]
  15. Eurobiker

Oddometer:
    52 is paved to Winston. From there, you can even go north a bit and turn west on 59 to Beaverhead. That's as far as the pavement goes.
  16. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    So Skinney when you goin?? I'm in Las Cruces, rtxpilot and I are leaving my place around 7 am Sat, North to Hillboro probably have some breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Anyone wants to join in we should be there around 8:30 or so. Then continue on 152 W over the Black Range
    [​IMG]
    to San Lorenzo and North on 35 past Lake Roberts
    [​IMG]
    and North on 15 to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.
    [​IMG]
    From there we may go home via 15 to Silver City and Deming or take the Mimbres Valley road back to 180. I may talk myself into breaking off for 191 and make it an overnighter or save that for a few weeks down the road. 191 can turn wintery sooner than one might think. Alpine itself is around 8000'.
  17. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    The new RT loves dirt roads. Probably more than my GS did. :dunno
  18. Eurobiker

Oddometer:
    So John, should we look for you in this? :lol3
    [​IMG]
  19. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha, if you need to be in a cage it's not a bad deal and driving across the Mojave at 2 pm is better in that:D. I'll be on the Strom most likely or else "borrow" my daughters Triumph.
  20. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Two of us made it to Hillboro for breakfast and the ride over the pass and up to the Cliff Dwellings. Interesting deluge on the way out, gave it a taste of adventure. [​IMG]
    Watch out for the venomous snakes in the National Park, oops that be my daughter. It's her DRZ in the parking lot there so if you see her ask if she knows whose bike was on fire, that should get her attention.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]