New Mexico single track in the winter?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by CoSnipe, Oct 23, 2005.

1. CoSnipe

CoSnipe Projectile manager

Oddometer:
    A co-worker and I would like to do some single track and/or atv trails this winter in new mexico and I'd like to know where are some places to go where snow isnt an issue. He is originally from deming but he got into riding 2 years ago when he moved up here. So he isnt familiar with any areas,but he frequently returns deming to visit his family.

Any ideas? thanks ,Snipe
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get in touch w/ K100LT he's from around there.
  3. CBF

CBF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is not that many places in New Mexico that you can be absolutely sure will be snow free in the winter but the Deming area you mentioned is one you can be pretty sure of. I once rode a sandy dirt road about 60 miles from Santa Theresa, New Mexico (near Las Cruces) about 60 miles to Deming. It was a road that ran right along the railroad tracks and was pretty cool. If the weather is nice you might be albe to head up toward Silver City and ride some trails in the Gila National Forest. And Mexico ain't far.The problem is the places that are snow free are the ones that are less interesting to ride - no mountains, no National Forest, not many roads. But have fun - some riding is better than no riding any day.
  4. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    That's the Kilbourne Hole area between LC and Deming, also a newer BLM OHV area near by. I've ridden the Robledos N of LC (rocky)and the Dona Ana Mtns right behind my house has a nice 20 mile loop with multiple variations, dirt road, rocks, some sand wash, good stuff all year long. This pic is from the Dona Ana's looking across to the Robledos. My house backs up to BLM and you can get through the fence and just ride.

[​IMG]

I'll be happy to get you on the trail.
  5. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey cool. Thanks Yellow Pig.

Hell yes I will personally hook you up with some great trails in Northern New Mexico. The Kachina Enduro just left us with 85 new miles of trail just north of Santa fe. Besides that there are hundards of miles of trails around here. Most of which have been carved by the enduro club. Some of which were carved by a guy named Darby. The Darby trails will blow your mind.
  6. CoSnipe

CoSnipe Projectile manager

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys,I am lookin forward to riding down there. Snow doesnt bother me as long as its not too much. I'll leave that for snowmobiling up here.

I'll look you guys up when we decide to go.
  7. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer: