New Michelin Anakee Wild Tire

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Disco Dean, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What to do? 20170210_202144.jpg
    Get another 400 miles out of the old, or save it for a spare and mount the new?
  2. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    Extreme closeup ! 20170210_204405.jpg
  3. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    how many miles?
  4. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    Just over 2,000
  5. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    4000 km / 2500 miles on rear

Attached Files:

6. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    Bump... been pretty quiet around here. Seriously considering these for the Spring vs. sticking with the TKC70. Any new feedback? :ear
  7. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2000 miles is very low..
    i have karoo3, they will live about 3500 miles, but 50% of it will go in the first 1500 miles, when that happened, i panicked, but now they are still holding on.
    Please note that i have 2 set of wheels so i dont ride karu daily, only on offroad rides.
    Karoos suck ONROAD. too aggressive but it wont be any more than the wilds.
    i heard good things about the later generations of TKC70s and even shinkos
  8. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2500 on my set at the moment and the rear is about to be swapped out for another Wild... only because I got a good deal on it. Maybe by the time the next one wears out it'll be time for my swap to Woody's and a 110/150 setup. Back to the TKC80 front and E-07 rear!
  9. PRW

Oddometer:
    So have you actually run a set of Wilds or only Karoos?
  10. PRW

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so they essentially have the same life as the TKC80s, yes?
  11. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the way I ride, yeah. Fair bid of pavement. I'd say 80/20. But when off road they do great. Dare I say better than the 80's? Yeah.
    PRW and offtheback like this.
  12. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    My wilds have about 1500 miles, barely look worn but I don't check the tread depth, no cupping or uneven wear. I'm noticing the chatter getting much worse than when they where new. I wear ear plugs and didn't hear that much at first but now I'm REALLY hearing it at steady throttle from 45-55 mph.

With that said. I still like the tire, it is confidence inspiring on sandy back roads and does well when corning hard. No slippage in the rain. I did however get a little squirmy this week as I was caught about 10 miles from home and it started to ice/snow and was collecting on the road... barely made it.

I'm a TKC80 fan and once a get an easier way to swap my own tires quickly (thinking of a no mar in the garage) I wouldn't mind returning to those for all types of riding and swapping the rear out every 2500 miles or so if needed.
  13. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just about to hit 7000 miles on my Wilds and the back is just about finished. The front looks like I could go another 7000. Riding conditions are not exactly what these tires were set up for. The vast majority of my riding is on super slab at 80+ MPH. I commute and find winding back roads when I can. The tires are pretty good in twisties and fantastic when I can actually get them on a trail (which is rare).

The only thing that I really don't like is the noise. It makes an ungodly howl at most speeds. I can't emphasize enough just how loud this is. The pitch of the noise was clearly the work of Satan himself or one of his better minions.

I got these tires as demonstrators. I don't ride off-road nearly enough to justify this kind of tread pattern. If I did any serious trail riding, I would never use a different tire. Street manners are great, wet roads are fine, twisties are no problem and they have lasted a lot longer than I anticipated. I just don't need this aggressive of a tire.
  14. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Apologies in advance, I have not read the whole thread but:

Getting new tires for upcoming 10 day dual sport trip for my 2016 GSA low suspension.

Reading online reviews for the Anakee Wild, I am struck by the binary results, I have never seen a tire with almost equal numbers of 5 star and 1 star ratings. (Revzilla site). And it seems that the reviewers are actually riding the tires... Most seem to agree the tires are good off pavement and short lived.

My trip will have very little pavement except the first and last days which will be 600 mile big slab iron butt rides in order to get to meet my buddies in SE Oregon and then back again.

My main worry is the large number of reviewers that claim the tire is UNSAFE at high speeds.

I was really looking forward to using the Anakee Wild due to radial construction as I dislike airing the tires down for softer surfaces like I sometimes do with TKC80 bias ply.

I will be riding many miles well north of 85mph on my way out and back and love twisties.

I expect that the rear will need to be replaced on my return, I have never gotten more than 3K useful miles out of any rear tire on either my F800 or R1200GSA due to my riding preferences.

I am used to the front end wandering around on knobby tires, I have run D606 and T63 front and rear on my F800 and once I got used to it on pavement I didn't mind, just kept me honest in the corners...

So: Is this tire "unsafe" at high speeds?

thanks in advance for your comments!

TR
  15. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

From my experience with the Wilds, they're a great tire. I had a set installed in Seattle last June and promptly headed for Alaska. Coming off the Dalton, I had a new rear waiting for me in Fairbanks and hoped it would last all the way back to North Carolina. I came back into the US just north of Glacier NP, rode down to the Denver area before hitting the Plains. Out there, I ran 75 to 80 mph and did some passing that had to take me close to the century mark. The Wilds were fine. When I got home, the Seattle installed front probably had a couple of thousand miles left in it and the Fairbanks installed rear had about 1000 left. The day before I got home, I rode US 129, The Dragon, and the tires performed quite well.

Mike
    tentative_rider likes this.
  16. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another 50/50 tire to consider is the Avon TrekRider. Decent traction both on and off-road.
  17. Hog1450

Hog1450 I use the oil you hate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Routinely ride at 70-75 on my Wilds, no issues. I keep them at 36 psi all the time, street and sand here in NWFL. I love the tires and will be getting more once worn out. I only have maybe 500 miles on mine so far. That 600 mile slab ride will scrub them in great! Recommended.
    tentative_rider and AFdude like this.
  18. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some wandering up front when they were new and doing 85+ while fully loaded. I have 3300 on them now and they're rock solid. No wondering loaded/unloaded.

Rear still has about another 2k left on it with how I ride. Superb in dirt too btw.
  19. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be swapping to the Wilds once I wear out my TKC80 rear. Any recommendations regarding keeping the TKC 80 front or not? It should outlast two rears easily by the looks of it.
  20. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I have never felt unstable on the WILD but I rarely exceed 85 and usually cruise at 70-75 on a 1200GSA LC. The grooved freeways are fun and squirmy but never really unstable. Dropping in on tight turns feels good with the Wild as well. The more I ride on this tire the louder it is getting, there is some sort of synchronized harmonic howl and is just ridiculous; starting to ruin rides if my ear plugs are not shoved in all the way. I won't buy this tire again for that reason.

But, I would much prefer going back to the TKC80... best tire ever if you don't mind replacing it every 3,000 miles or so (for me at least).