1. eNewsletter Sign Up

New Michelin Anakee Wild Tire

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Disco Dean, Apr 8, 2013.

1. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the above replies.

For this trip I am going to stick with TKC80's, partially due to the multiple mentions of how loud the Wild is on pavement. At almost 49 years of age I find loud or obnoxious noises much more difficult to tolerate these days, and a 600 mile day is already pushing my limits (I wear earplugs all the time when riding).

I will give the Wild a try for the fall trip and try to post a comparison review on my own experience. I am still on the stock Anakee 3 now (Getting TKC put on 1 week before the trip) and the on road performance is flawless, very neutral in corners. I remember when putting TKC80 on my old 2007 GSA the bike wanted to fall in to corners and you actually had to apply pressure to keep the bike from leaning over further, it will be interesting to see if this also is the case on my 2016 GSA.

Cheers!

TR
  2. Kicking1450

Kicking1450 BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    I put a brand new set of Wilds on my GSA and I like them a lot, and the appearance is not shabby. The only issue I have is that mine are very slick! I have less than 100 miles on them so far, that might be the reason?? I tried to ride a wheelie on the street the other day and instead of getting the front tire off the ground, my back tire broke loose in first, second, and third gear.
  3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    Definitely the reason. Be careful until you wear the mould release agent off.
    mikegc likes this.
  4. turnerm

turnerm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned a dozen times, but I couldn't read all of the posts.

I have the Karoo 3's and they are a good balance of street vs offroad for me.

Am I correct in saying that the Karoo 3's are very close to the Anakee Wilds in terms of offroad grip, on road stickiness and noise? Longevity?
    I like the treads on both tires. Just wondering if I should stay with the Karoo 3's or try the Wilds?
  5. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say just to keep an eye on the 80 front. They like to ramp a bit. Best I've gotten out of a TKC80 front was 6k miles on my F800. I don't have any ramping yet on the Wild front.

Also, somewhere I've seen issues with mixing bias ply and radial tires on here. Not sure.
  6. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've run both of these tires. They are very close. I'd give the Wilds a higher grade for traction on and off road, but they are a lot noisier than Karoo 3's. I think the Wilds have given me a few more miles, but not a huge difference. I have not decided what's next, but due to the noise, I'm not planning to get Wilds again.
  7. turnerm

turnerm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That helps. I thought the Karoo 3's were loud. Can't imagine much louder.
  8. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also thought Karoo's were very loud up front. Only had a Wild on the back, so not able to comment on noise comparison.

I loved the Wild on the rear as it meant no airing up/down all the time and it was good on all road surfaces (after mould release agent wears off) wet or dry. No complaints there. Neither the TKC80 or the Wild has the longevity of a Karoo in my case.

For me Karoo wins on longevity and grip. But third choice in mud and also very noisy up front (without any comparison as yet)
    Wild second for design benefit and grip on all surfaces (on rear). Not used front yet, but unlikely due to noise and handling comments.
    TKC 80 excellent grip off road, but not as inspiring in wet on-road.
    tentative_rider likes this.
  9. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you already made your choice, but I wanted to pipe in. I haven't yet had a chance to try the tires, but I have followed many reviews and talked to folks who have. It seems like there's a strong correlation between people who had poor experiences with the tire, who also ran it under the suggested pressure--and folks who had a great experience, ran it at or just slightly above, the rated pressure.

This is based on close to 200 individual discussions or observations.
  10. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run both K3and wilds front/rear on R12Gs. Both are loud, but the wild front is a higher pitch and louder. K3 works better on road IMO, but not off, and the wilds are lasting longer than the Karoo 3 for me on the rear.
  11. TanukiPDX

TanukiPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden very fast on the wilds and been just fine. The closest call I have had was just a little too extreme of an angle in a corner and they slipped a little, but I was actually surprised at the angle they were doing on the asphalt regardless.
    RunninRanger and mikegc like this.
  12. Kicking1450

Kicking1450 BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    I am not a fan of the Wilds in the sand. They sink and wash out immediately, which leads to a lot of tank, pannier, and head cylinder slapping. NOT FUN!!! The bike handled better in the sand with the stock street tires than the wilds, which shocked me. I have not road the wilds on any hard packed dirt or mud so I cannot give my opinion about the tire on those surfaces, but watch your butt in the sand. SOMEBODY BUY MY GSA!
  13. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    $14.50
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, sand is tough . . . no matter what tire I have on the GSA. I've noticed with TKC 70s that dropping the pressure to 30 lbs in the rear and 25 lbs for the front helps.

Mike
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Nothing to add to the thread, but I really like this pic of the 170's on my 1100GS sidecar rig while down in Moab two weeks ago--

P1020297.JPG
    Rode through a water crossing which cleaned the tread, then rode up the bank about 20 feet and stopped. Let's you see how much of the tread gets involved even when not leaning.

The Wild's give my rig great traction on loose rocky stuff, and dry hard stuff. Also managed to find some sticky clay, and the Wild's kept me moving even through that stuff! --->

P1020333.JPG
    In this pic, the tire looks packed, but that's only because I stopped. Once I got moving, the tread blocks self-cleaned and threw a stream of chunks in a nice roost.
    tykebe, BaldKnob, MarkM and 5 others like this.
  16. Unit 91

Unit 91 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having put more miles (about 2.5k) on the Wilds... they're pretty awesome. Both in the dirt and on the pavement. I'm actually surprised at how hard they can be pushed on the road, even in wet conditions. Unfortunately, both front and rear tires met an early demise at the hands of a nasty pothole that also claimed both wheels. The good news is... I've got a brand new set!

I do notice traction control kicking in a LOT and I can spin the rear wheel pretty much at will. Not that I find that to be a bad thing. It's good for a grin when getting up to highway speeds.

Sadly, had to switch back to the stock Anakee Milds for a while as I'm doing 100% pavement riding for a while. At least on this bike.

Would not hesitate to purchase these over and over and over.
    mikegc likes this.
  17. jthomas82

jthomas82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just returned from AZBDR on new set of Wilds. This being my third back tire and second front of Wilds. The front does road walk a bit when new for the first couple of hundred miles. I've ridden all brands and feel they are equal to or better than other brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RunninRanger likes this.
  18. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I think the Wilds handle good, but the rear is a short life tire, like the TKC 80 or Kenda BB. The front wild is the noisiest knobby I have ever used. I am going to put a Karoo 3 on next, as I have had good luck with that. I was hoping to put a MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on next, then noticed they don't make a 170. I had good luck on my KTM with the MotoZ on the rear, about 5k miles. I will get 2k out of the Wild or a TKC.
    I've got a 2017 GS, was hoping for more knobby choices, but BMW went wider on the rear tire since my 09.
  19. jeepjake01

jeepjake01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motoz should be releasing the 170-60-17 tractionator adventure in the next month or so per an email I had with them 2 months ago...at least they are working on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    mlyamkaw likes this.
  20. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the Tractionator Adventure in 170-16-17 size has been available for testing. I have been on an event where 2 sets (imported) were given to 2 test riders.
    I felt like stealing them overnight as I am desperate to know about their longevity and road holding capability.
    What I can say is this, the thread depth is way more than any other tyre available in LC size that I have seen to date. TKC80, Karoo 3, Anakee Wilds.
    mlyamkaw likes this.