New Michelin Anakee Wild Tire

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Disco Dean, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those that have experience with both the TKC-80's and the Wilds, are there any differences in longevity for your riding style? People are reporting wildly different mileages, but I would assume a test with the same person for the same type of riding might yield some useful info.

If there isn't any increase in lifetime then I will just stick to the TKC-80's when I need to swap :)
  2. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the TKC-80s on the GSAw -- then tried the Anakee Wilds after seeing them in Hamburg. Reviews are accurate, louder, more sensitive to pressures. I'm not noticing that I'll get that much greater mileage. Next set I'll go back to the TKC-80s. :dunno
    tentative_rider likes this.
  3. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer the wild front over the TKC, I had weird flatspots and sharkfinning on it. Not with the wild.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RunninRanger likes this.
  4. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:

A lot of subjectivity on this issue. From what I have read there appears to be very little difference in longevity. Depends which you prefer. I like the TKC80
  5. NinjaRider

NinjaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried the Wild after a couple sets of TKC80's. I like both tires, but I was hoping the WILD would last at least 20 - 25% longer than the TKC80 since they cost about that much more.
    ( hoping for a similar cost-per-mile with the benefit of fewer tire changes ). I found this was not the case and I am back to the TKC80s. They are also easier to mount / change than the WILD, which is another benefit.
    Pch123 and Dogslobber like this.
  6. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fact that the Wilds are radials vs the TKC 80 being bias tires does nothing for you all? Side wall strength on the Wilds is more robust...fact not opinion.
  7. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    does make any real world difference I can see at the coal face.
  8. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires are not my speciality - but does that mean the Wilds are potentially more resistant to punctures?
    taz_va likes this.
  9. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having run Wilds, I'd say they're not more puncture resistant. The main thinks I liked about them was you do not have to air them up or down depending on riding conditions and the mileage I got out of them.

Mike
    roookie1 likes this.
  10. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how do they compare to Karoo 3?
  11. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    In what way?

I think the karoo3 got less mileage in the rear based on my riding. I got 3k on rear K3, and have 4k on rear wild and probably will get another 500-1000 on it. The loudness of the front wild is worse than the karoo3 in my opinion. The lateral grip off-road in the soft stuff was better with the wilds, which i find important up front.
  12. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jolly

I want more off road capability (rock gardens , soft gravel & fire roads) than highway comfort.

So Karoo 3 vs Anakee wild in terms of off road ability and highway noise.

Which is better off road and is less noisy/bump on highways.
  13. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think wild is better off-road, longer life on road and works great once broke in a little, but is louder than the K3.
  14. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I have not tried the wilds (next on my list) but the Karoo 3 in the front washes out laterally on me. it has never put me down but has got my attention a few times where the last tires, 804's (different bike 07 GSA vs a scrambler now) had no problems in similar situations.

I am not a fan of the karoo 3

really wish shinko would make the 804/805 in a 170 :becca
  15. RunninRanger

Oddometer:
    A radial tire is less prone to puncture. Esp. Steel or kevlar belted. Most motorcycle tires are still bias.
    Lots of opinions and experiences on tires. It's good to have options and better yet a place in which to discuss them.
    Wilds, for me, are just what I was looking for. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I ride 90% OFFROAD. Forest roads and single track are my typical destination. So a knobby-tire is a must. In my experience, Wilds give me great lateral traction for deep rutted roads and trails. Loose rock and gravel (especially with spring grading by the Forest Service), Wilds or A3s have saved my bacon. 6-8" deep gravel and sand freshly graded demand stability to traverse. Wilds hold true where I direct my bike to go. Not washing out or taking the tires own idea of where to go. Deep loose drift sand, I find the same holds true. Still not my favorite terrain nor is wet clay or deep mud, the Wilds impress me. Especially with two-up on challenging ascending and descending twisty back roads. I'm a fan.
    The noise everyone touts about..wear better ear plugs! I'd rather have traction then a quieter tire. Hwy miles above 45mph, it's difficult to discern the wind from tires anyway.
    FWIW
  16. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would a TKC 80 front and a Wild rear play well together? Could help avoid the noise issue while potentially getting more life out of the rear. I have 2500 km on the bike now and the TKC is already looking a bit worse for wear...
  17. RunninRanger

Oddometer:
    Try it. TKC 80 are renown for being a great front tire. Rear's too. Just burn down in short order.
  18. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think I will, would honestly not consider anything other than a TKC 80's if they didn't wear so quickly. A Wild might last a bit longer on the rear given that I'm not too abusive of the throttle :)
  19. RunninRanger

Oddometer:
    FYI try the Visorshop.com/Uk. I got the front tire for $93. and the rear for $123.
    Shipping via DHL was $75.
    No taxes. Best deal on Wilds anywhere I've been able to find. Shipped the next day!
    Water boxer sizes 120/19 & 170/17 F&R respectively.
    Cheers
    Benduro likes this.
  20. GettinDirty83

GettinDirty83 Dirt Trail Hero

Oddometer:
    So many people in here are saying they STILL prefer the TKC-80 over the Wilds. I think it's funny that no one has compared them to the Shinko 804/805s being that they're a direct TKC-80 competitor. I love my Shinkos and at half the price of both the Wilds and TKC-80s, I'm not sure if I want to switch, especially with slightly better tire life. Anyone able to do a Anakee VS Shinko?
    RunninRanger likes this.